University Preparation Programs (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could comment on these, or could give some feedback based on knowing someone who has done one of these

Im quite confused.

To get into a science based course via Sydney uni - you are required to do 2 prep courses, which are
a) a science content course (chem,bio, geology etc)
and
b) a maths content course

dissamilarly at UNSW - to get into a science based course via there prep program you are required to do
a) a uni study skills course
and
b) a "science course" (which is actually mathematics, no science content)

Naturally one would think if you can skip all the science topics it would be a much easier workload/method of getting into uni. Can anyone comment on this ?

Also, does anyone know the general difficulty of these courses ? For eg. the maths exams, are they on par or harder than general hsc ones.

Season

HSC
Do you mean bridging courses? You only have to do them if you didn't do them in year 12. If you haven't done them, then yeah its a good idea as they'll be teaching concepts on top of the year 12 courses.

Why are you doing a science course if you didn't do science? :s

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Season said:
Do you mean bridging courses? You only have to do them if you didn't do them in year 12. If you haven't done them, then yeah its a good idea as they'll be teaching concepts on top of the year 12 courses.

Why are you doing a science course if you didn't do science? :s
No he's talking about the University Preperation courses for mature students those over 20-21 with no HSC record or HSC faliure record, etc.

It seems the maths prep courses are really popular two of them are full already. The required knowledge is yr 9-10 advanced maths.
http://www.cce.usyd.edu.au/cce/course.do?id=null&course=011829

These courses are designed for people with no HSC record or higher schooling, thus if you have an hsc record or UAI in the last 7 years that can get you into a science course then use it and quit your whinging.

I'd be best for you to contact the uni's if you have done sciences at school, etc.

Last edited:

loser101

HSC
if you cant speak english for shit then do the USYD course.

if your strong in english and weak in science then do the UNSW course. or equall in english and sci/math then do UNSW.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
loser101 said:
if you cant speak english for shit then do the USYD course.

if your strong in english and weak in science then do the UNSW course. or equall in english and sci/math then do UNSW.
So you'd do the USyd course?

juggernaut

HSC
I did science (chem/phys) in the HSC - even though i cant remember anything from it. The point of doing this isnt to aquire knowledge to help me at uni its to actually get myself INTO uni.

I dont mind missing out on a bit of science knowledge if it means an easier entrance into uni. (and ultimately the best course possible)

loser im not sure if that would be the case. the course structure of the science course at usyd involves biology,geology etc aswell, so im thinking it would be a fair bit of wrote learning etc.

maths is definately my week point, so for some reason i was sort of leaning more towards usyd as unsw felt like it was mainly MATHS, and then the skills course was an on the side thing they didnt place much emphasis on, where as usyd seemed equal emphasis between maths and science

160 would be pretty difficult i think. that 160 = your year round mark after all assessments and exams etc. from memory looking at course structure there was a fair bit of exams and assignments.

hmmmm what to do what to do

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Have you considered the TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate? If you earn a good TES, you can get into all courses at most universities except for, medicine, advanced science (usyd.... etc research.

juggernaut

HSC
TPC is 455 hours of study. definately not for me, as im 21 and need to work, and go out alot etc etc. i still want my life :)

loser101

HSC
never,

its more like 9am to 6pm monday to thursday

with a lecture at 9am and another lecture at 2pm and a tutorial at 3pm and another turtorial at 5pm

if you can duck out and go back to your "job" for the hours between the lectures then go for it.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
TPC can be completed over a two year period. I was doing 10 hours a week max, 3 subjects a year.
That's right! University is all over the place in terms of timetable.
TPC is a walk in the park compared to uni, although TPC is challenging considering standard subjects contain 3 unit work.

Last edited:

juggernaut

HSC
thinking about doing the prep course at wollongong for some reason :O

its 12 weeks as opposed to march-nov like the syd uni one

not sure if its less content or just crammed in (like going 3 days per week as opposed to only 4 hours per week at the syd uni one)

hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)