University preferences (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

My name is James. I'm in Year 10 and I know it's a little too early to put too much thought into this, but I have some questions about university preferences.

1) If you put a course as your second preference, are you less likely to get it than your first preference?
2) Is it worth putting a course as first preference even when you think you may not get the rank you need to enter the course, e.g. Medicine?
3) If I put the UNSW Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery as my first preference, Physio as my second and Occupational Therapy as my third and I don't get the ATAR I need for the first two, but I achieve a high enough rank for OT, would I get into OT?

Thanks for your help. Bye,

James

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
1. not rly, it's just preference
2. yes, you'd be an idiot not to do so.
3. yes

Venom.

HSC
Hold on, if you put down 9 preferences, and they're all under 99.

And you get 99.

Do you get 9 offers?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
yes, as long as there aren't any other requirements

jet

Banned
HSC
yeah, you only get the highest of your preferences for which you received an offer.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't you receive one offer from each university which you have put down. E.g. Perhaps you have put the same course 3 times as 1,2,3 but all at different universities. I thought you would have got an offer from all of them so long as you meet the ATAR requirement.

Mod?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Wouldn't you receive one offer from each university which you have put down. E.g. Perhaps you have put the same course 3 times as 1,2,3 but all at different universities. I thought you would have got an offer from all of them so long as you meet the ATAR requirement.

Mod?
No, this is not the US. You receive an offer for the highest ranked course in your list of preferences which you are eligble for.

zzzz12345

HSC
You get your highest preference that you meet the ATAR requirement for (and as long as you meet any other specific requirements e.g. STAT for Pharmacy). For example if you had two preferences with these cut-offs:
1. Course A: ATAR cut-off 85
2. Course B: ATAR cut-off 94
And you ended up getting e.g. 95; you would get an offer for Course A because you meet the ATAR cut-off and it is your highest preference. If you really wanted to do Course B you should have put that first because in the eyes of UAC if you achieve your first preference you should be content. You can change preferences to try for Late and Final Round offers but it gets less likely that you will get into your chosen course especially if it is something very popular that generally fills up in the Main Round.

Last edited:

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
You get your highest preference that you meet the ATAR requirement for (and as long as you meet any other specific requirements e.g. STAT for Pharmacy). For example if you had two preferences with these cut-offs:
1. Course A: ATAR cut-off 85
2. Course B: ATAR cut-off 94
And you ended up getting e.g. 95; you would get an offer for Course A because you meet the ATAR cut-off and it is your highest preference. If you really wanted to do Course B you should have put that first because in the eyes of UAC if you achieve your first preference you should be content. You can change preferences to try for Late and Final Round offers but it gets less likely that you will get into your chosen course especially if it is something very popular that generally fills up in the Main Round.
hi im zazzy1234

jet

Banned
HSC

Mod?
Well, think about it. The universities want the courses to be filled, and if they offer you more than one place, then how can they ensure that all the places will be filled. Thus, they offer you one place - your highest choice - in order to prevent confusion and make the process a lot simpler. Late and Final rounds are to fill those spots which were rejected by people in the Main Round.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
No, this is not the US. You receive an offer for the highest ranked course in your list of preferences which you are eligble for.
Why did you neg rep me for my post? I wasn't even sure what happened... I was simply adding my thoughts >_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)