• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni timetables (1 Viewer)

HKspec009

HSC
As i am starting uni soon (USYD),
I just wanted to ask, as a first yr student in medical science, can you choose the times that you have lectures, tutes, etc?
Simply put, is it possible to just have mid day - afternoon lectures ??

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I think USYD assigns you a random timetable and then it's up to you to go in and try and change them. Hopefully someone from USYD will correct me if I am wrong :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A timetable is generated automatically and then you have the choice of choosing particular days for times during the day in which you don't want to be in class. With those specific parameters, you can generate a new timetable which fits those restrictions.

While it's theoretically possible to only have classes from midday onwards, I wouldn't put money on that ending up being the case. You can try to minimise coming in early but personally I think it's inevitable that you will end up having to do so.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Nope, Trans4M you are correct. We have a system (online) that creates our personalised timetable. We cannot choose our classes but we can work around it by selecting which times we are available or not. I always seem to get the classes I want but you have to play around with it for a while. I can create a sample timetable for you but I need to know which UoS you will undertake. :)

HKspec009

HSC
I honestly have no idea about the UOS i will take. Aren't there compulsory uos for first yr students anyways?
Also i was just looking at the uos for med sci, why is there for example 4 anatomy units? are they all the same?
ANAT2552
ANAT2553
ANAT2554
ANAT2555

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I believe you can pick your UoS so long the fall under the plan/structure:
S1 - Mathematics (2 x 3cp or 1 x 6cp), Psychology or Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
S2 - Mathematics (2 x 3cp or 1 x 6cp), Psychology or Physics, Chemistry and Molecular Biology.

Some ANAT units are specifically tailored for Medical students whereas other ANAT units can be studied by almost anyone of any given degree - and not all ANAT units are the same - check the unit of study outline. If you do decide to study BIOL1003/BIOL1903 - I have study notes and sample final exam papers. :)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
i have to travel from the west and will take up to an hour getting to uni, and prefer to sleep!
Wow, ok, you're going to have to change that attitude and get your priorities sorted out. Classes are held at set times and there's *some* room for manipulating the best timetable for yourself, but if you go to one of the timetabling people and say you want a sleep in and you have to travel a whole HOUR, they're not going to care.

I'd almost say more than half the student population travel over an hour each way (I travel 1.5), and it's not unusual for science students to have 8am starts. Having said that, because science classes tend to be earlier in the morning, they don't often go super late.

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD seems ridiculous in regards to timetabling :/

Thank god I didn't put USYD as a preference. 8am starts are freaken awful (imo) and the fact that you need to get the uni to change your timetable is ridiculous because it is inefficient.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

Thank god I didn't put USYD as a preference. 8am starts are freaken awful (imo) and the fact that you need to get the uni to change your timetable is ridiculous because it is inefficient.
They won't even listen to our feedback on how disgusting the timetabling system is. :( If only we had UNSW's class allocation/timetabling system... :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
They won't even listen to our feedback on how disgusting the timetabling system is. :( If only we had UNSW's class allocation/timetabling system... :p
They're working on heading towards that. It's just going to take a while.

HSC
Uni Grad
Although I'll admit that UNSW's timetabling system is first come first serve, so if you're late then its too bad for you. (then again it's kinda your fault for not enrolling on time)

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Although I'll admit that UNSW's timetabling system is first come first serve, so if you're late then its too bad for you. (then again it's kinda your fault for not enrolling on time)
I can't complain with USyd; I attended UWS before transferring and my god... my reflexes are not that good. I guess every university has some sort of short fall. :/

izzy88

HSC
There are pros and cons for both though...

UNSW system doesn't work so well for electives and such though. At least at usyd if you pre-enrol you are in the subject. Whereas at UNSW you sit there frenetically trying to enrol in the right classes - and if they fill up in 2 minutes that's it :( if the subject is running another lecture you can enrol in that one, but it it doesn't then there's no other option. At least the USYD system will put you into classes that generally don't clash if its possible - but that isn't necessarily the case for the UNSW. I don't know, after 6 years of dealing with the USYD timetabling, I don't mind it that much. What would be good is if they open the system up more then a few weeks before semester starts - so at least you know your timetable further in advance.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
As i am starting uni soon (USYD),
I just wanted to ask, as a first yr student in medical science, can you choose the times that you have lectures, tutes, etc?
I'm asking this because i have to travel from the west and will take up to an hour getting to uni, and prefer to sleep!
Simply put, is it possible to just have mid day - afternoon lectures ??
UP TO AN HOUR?!

Wow.
How terrible for you?!

Honestly, most people travel more than an hour.
Get what you're given.

But also, realistic answer:
If you're a smart person doing first year MedSc then you will do the advanced units which have 8am lectures and stuff.
Most science lectures are at/before 10 for first years.

HKspec009

HSC
UP TO AN HOUR?!

Wow.
How terrible for you?!
I love it how people assume that an hour is long for me. The only reason i put it was to justify my reasoning in selecting later lectures/classes

Realistic response: Thank you :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly have no idea about the UOS i will take. Aren't there compulsory uos for first yr students anyways?
Also i was just looking at the uos for med sci, why is there for example 4 anatomy units? are they all the same?
ANAT2552
ANAT2553
ANAT2554
ANAT2555
afaik none of those are actual UoS at USyd.

I believe you can pick your UoS so long the fall under the plan/structure:
S1 - Mathematics (2 x 3cp or 1 x 6cp), Psychology or Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
S2 - Mathematics (2 x 3cp or 1 x 6cp), Psychology or Physics, Chemistry and Molecular Biology.

Some ANAT units are specifically tailored for Medical students whereas other ANAT units can be studied by almost anyone of any given degree - and not all ANAT units are the same - check the unit of study outline. If you do decide to study BIOL1003/BIOL1903 - I have study notes and sample final exam papers. :)
6CP for a single UoS is only possible for first year maths in first semester if you don't do mathematics or higher in HSC, and second sem is only possible if you do really good in first sem adv units and then can do a second year unit (I don't know how possible this is).

Wow, ok, you're going to have to change that attitude and get your priorities sorted out. Classes are held at set times and there's *some* room for manipulating the best timetable for yourself, but if you go to one of the timetabling people and say you want a sleep in and you have to travel a whole HOUR, they're not going to care.

I'd almost say more than half the student population travel over an hour each way (I travel 1.5), and it's not unusual for science students to have 8am starts. Having said that, because science classes tend to be earlier in the morning, they don't often go super late.
but it is likely you'll have practicals that go until 5pm

I had a few 8am-5pm days last semester.
And being me I decided to make it so that I only had like one (or no) breaks.
That's the beauty of science.

UNSW you can have pracs IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (I would die going to Campbelltown on the train at that time)

Both UNSW and USyd timetables have their pros and cons.

There are pros and cons for both though...

UNSW system doesn't work so well for electives and such though. At least at usyd if you pre-enrol you are in the subject. Whereas at UNSW you sit there frenetically trying to enrol in the right classes - and if they fill up in 2 minutes that's it :( if the subject is running another lecture you can enrol in that one, but it it doesn't then there's no other option. At least the USYD system will put you into classes that generally don't clash if its possible - but that isn't necessarily the case for the UNSW. I don't know, after 6 years of dealing with the USYD timetabling, I don't mind it that much. What would be good is if they open the system up more then a few weeks before semester starts - so at least you know your timetable further in advance.
that's my main complaint too.
Apart from that the system seems fine to me ATM.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I love it how people assume that an hour is long for me. The only reason i put it was to justify my reasoning in selecting later lectures/classes

Realistic response: Thank you :)
but using an ~hour~ to justify that is pretty pointless. Lol

You're welcome.

D94

HSC
N/A
UNSW you can have pracs IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (I would die going to Campbelltown on the train at that time)
You're talking about like a few subjects out of hundreds, it's not like every subject has pracs in the night. Even so, that's just one of the time options available, there are morning and midday pracs as well, some students who live on campus may prefer night pracs, so it gives all students a decent variety.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You're talking about like a few subjects out of hundreds, it's not like every subject has pracs in the night. Even so, that's just one of the time options available, there are morning and midday pracs as well, some students who live on campus may prefer night pracs, so it gives all students a decent variety.
chemistry does

And I do chemistry

And like, looked up my subs for last sem (that I would've done if I went there) and it was a bit worse (in my eyes) to the timetable I could get a usyd, plus, probs wouldn't get it because first in best dressed.

Both USyd and UNSW (and everywhere else) have their pros and cons with this stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)