Uni living arangements (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Acid said:
Name one thing I said there that isn't true...
My room isn't the same size as a gaol cell. It isn't as big as at home but it is still pretty large.

People can't bang on my doors whenever they please, considering only 5 people have keycards to the apartment.

Also both of the bathrooms in the apartment are very clean. Mainly because we share the cleaning.

This is university accommadation (not renting).

Farcanell

Don't have to cook for myself (i'm hopeless at it)
Don't go to a self catered residence then.

don't have to shop (i hate it)
If you go to a catered residence shopping becomes so infrequent its almost insignificant.

and don't have to pay many living expenses.
Accommodation is subsidised... its as cheap as you're ever going to get unless you live at home for the rest of your life. If you're eligible for youth allowance you'll actually be better off living on campus.

I can also call my friends when I want to go out, rather than have them banging on my door whenever they please
Or perhaps you could ask them not to do it...

and don't have to use a tinnea (sp?) infested communal bathroom.
You usually have very few people sharing a bathroom. People usually care enough about each other to make sure they don't spread such things, and even if they don't the bathrooms are being just about constantly being disinfected.

I also have some privacy
With the exception of a shared bathroom, there's little difference. Your room is more private, having a lock on it and everything. At any rate you get used to the slightly decreased privacy after a while, and if you don't care its hardly a problem.

Finally, my room isn't the size of a jail cell.
Its bigger than many of my friends' bedrooms.

rumour

HSC
pete_mate said:
yes he would have, canberra is very spaced out, its barely a city
Do you live there?

Because I do! It has a lot of parks but it is a city!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
<<<<
A read of the gender, would indicate that funky is actually a girl:).

Last edited:

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I live at home and in my opinion there's no cons to it. That's probably because my parents aren't strict and controlling.

Rory

HSC
I'm currently living on campus. It's alright for now, but I couldn't do it long term. I'm already planning to move out to my own place by second semester lol it's an alright place, but I've just never been a fan of being woken up at 4am by a bunch of drunks throwing shit around in the courtyard or stumbling around in the hallways making a shitload of noise.. especially when I have to be up at like 7am.. also I've had so many issues with the network going down here it's just not funny.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Slide Rule said:
How would you compare the two? Do you think the college is worth it?
Well, circumstances are very different so I can't justly compare.

2003:
- Living with family in Western Sydney, studied at UTS
- Lived with family, comfortable at home
- Always good food, never feel lonely
- Laundry done for you =D
- Difficulties with travel (1+ hour each way)
- Less time for work (couldn't fit in a job) and social life (had to leave city by about 7/8 on weeknights)
- Siblings and other family responsibilities often post impediments to study

2004:
- Living at college, studying at UWA
- Living with randoms, you get on with most (not everyone)
- Food will never, ever, be like home
- Living across the road from uni and on a main transport artery (bus to city <10 minutes)
- I can wake up ten minutes before a class and be there on time
- Sometimes drunk people are loud and offensive, rather disruptive to sleep and study
- Great party atmosphere, if that's what you want
- More freedom to go/see/do what you want
- Doing your own laundry, though a nuisance, has a certain Zen factor about it
- No distractions except the ones you bring upon yourself (and drunken friends turning up at your door...)

I like college, because it's just a more convenient environment for me to study in. The food is crap but I can handle it, there's plenty of shelf space and if I don't want distractions I simply have to say "I'm busy, go away" - can't say no like that to parents and siblings.

However, I will not willingly spend a single day in college that I don't have to. I will be squeezing every free day I can into my trips back to Sydney. I miss my family, my friends and St Mary's Cathedral (which really feels like home).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
pete_mate said:
yes he would have, canberra is very spaced out, its barely a city
I've found that the people who drill Canberra usually haven't lived here at all. While lexi pretty much said all that needs to be said, I think that college is a great way to start uni.

Currently I'm paying for myself (I thank the government) and it truly is an amazing feeling living away from home.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I live in university owned apartments

Pros
-close to uni
-right in the city.... so close to everything
-much more exciting than living in Albury
-more independence
-less to worry about than in the private rental market.... I have to cook for myself, but I don't have gas/electricity/water bills, and the apartment is fully furnished
-Good food because I cook for myself.... no yucky college food
-I had no choice but to move out of home to study what I wanted to at uni, so it has enabled me to study my course.
-Being around other young people from all around the world

Cons
-expense
-working lots and lots to afford to live in Sydney
-annoying flatmates
-annoying friends of flatmates
-issues with cleaning/dishes and flatmates
-rooms are reasonably sized, but smaller than I am used to
-having no pets
-sometimes I don't feel like cooking

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ahhh i just realised. If i live on campus next year, i wont be able to get 80gb DSL! I live for my downloads

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Ahhh i just realised. If i live on campus next year, i wont be able to get 80gb DSL! I live for my downloads
I'm not sure about USYD but at ANU we have a college p2p network. Everything is free, and downloads at 3mb/sec, there are usually about 7 terrabytes of data available at any one time. :cool:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i live at home. i pay board but its like 20 bucks a week which is a lot cheaper than what i would get away with living away from home. i pay for mobile calls from the home phone which i learn not to do anymore. butyeah its better. i would like soem freedom away but this world is too expensive for me

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I think I might need to pay for some expenses while living at home. But I don't work. But if I did, I would pay for thing such as my mobile bills. But for now, I am an dependent child.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i currently live at home cos i can't afford to move out. And i would get very homesick. But it takes me 2 hours to get to uni each day... so i spend 4 hours on public transport for 2 one hour lectures on one day which is very annoying. But i know there are people who live further out than me...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
i currently live at home cos i can't afford to move out. And i would get very homesick. But it takes me 2 hours to get to uni each day... so i spend 4 hours on public transport for 2 one hour lectures on one day which is very annoying. But i know there are people who live further out than me...
That sucks so bad. If I had to travel using only public transport it would take me 2 hours each way, and theres one day all I have is a 1 hour lecture. Fortunately for me though I can drive, and that only takes 35 minutes.

If I suddenly came upon a lot of money, and could continue my current standard of living without working any harder I would move out straight away. However because I am poor, and living at home aint bad I am not moving any time soon.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah if i had a lot more money i'd move somewhere closer to the uni.
for a 9am start i have to wake up at 5.30, leave by 6.30, get to the station just after 7 (cos any later and i can't get parking) train leaves at 7.20 (if it's on time... which it usually isn't!) get to central round about 8.30, catch a bus to uni. oh the joys of travelling. But as i said, there are people i know who have to travel longer than that, out at windsor and richmond. at least they're near a train station. :( and a few of them have 8am starts!!!

back ot... is it better to live in a college paying more, or in a self-catered apartment where you pay less but have to buy and cook food etc?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends on you.

I think it is still cheaper to cook for yourself and pay cheaper rent than to eat college food and pay the high fees of college.

But if you don't want to cook, then catered accomodation is for you! Also, often the food in catered colleges is crap, but you have to pay for it and eat it.

But also, there is often more of a communal social life in catered colleges that can be lacking in self catered accomodation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)