uni in america (2 Viewers)

spence

HSC
They're more clueless than arrogant. But Americans are seriously the nicest people

u-borat

Banned
HSC
lucid scintilla needs to stop pretending to know everything
because he/she/it is a lowly 1st year med student
THAT IS MY OPINION
AND I STAND BY IT.

spence

HSC
:eek: American's aren't clueless! We are nice :) I'm from the US and have an elder bro at college over there if you want to ask any questions!
A lot of them are clueless though. They are extremely nice though. Also I'm a US citizen

silentwinter

HSC
I am from malaysia. my college( sunway college- now sunway university) had a twining program with Western Michigan University.

however, 9/11 happened.

moved to australia and completed my Bachelor's in commerce in Utas.

still would like to go to the states and study there for my masters.

i do agree that yale, harvard and others should be on the minds of every individual.

however there are other good unis.

my good friend who was top of my class actually applied to CalTech ( California university of technology), but got rejected.

if you are looking for engineering or nanotechnology courses,

Georgia tech, Cal tech, Virginia tech. these unis sound or look like 2nd class but they are top in the field of technology and innovation.

wonsta

HSC
Im thinking of going to usa if my application failed but march intake has now finished so you should be aiming for september course. you dont need to sit on sat if you are an international student.. but mostly except ivy league its far easier to get in.. im pretty sure....

and for undergraduate studying in overs isnt much necessary postgradute or higher education will need though for your own goods

Last edited:

katastrophe

HSC
i know this is an oldish thread but had to add my 2 cents here.

I would think that an undergrad degree from an Ivy League uni would be pretty much the same as an equivalent Australian undergrad degree, is it really worth all the effort to do the same degree in the US. Postgraduate maybe?
from my year's research, undergrad degrees are worth pretty much the same from everywhere. uni names just make them sound cooler, that's all. it's the postgrad that matters.

in terms of money, applications and ease of acceptance, you're better off doing a good undergrad degree in australia then applying to america for postgrad. the best advice i've heard for people who really want to experience 'american college life' is to do a study-abroad program.

there was some mention of using an american degree in australia -- from what i know, it's not worth your money. even if you do go to a high-calibre university (and therefore the education is worth the buckets of money you're forking out for it), there's not much point coming back to australia with it.
although there are many highly-paid career opportunities in australia which could make the american education worth it, you're probably quite as likely to get them with an australian degree, and you could probably do better still in america. the advice given to me was that if i go to america to do my undergrad and postgrad, i might as well stay there to make the most of it.

and for once and for all, if you really want to apply to america, just sit the SATs. like sikhman said, most universities require them, and even if they don't, it could look nice anyway.

wendybird

HSC
ummm no. cutoff is jan 1 if you want to start in fall 2010 for most unis.
Second this.

December 31st/January 1st were the cutoff dates.

A few universities had deadlines of January 5th.

But at this stage - your best bet is next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)