Uni Dilemna! (1 Viewer)

Jono10

HSC
Im currently in year 12, and am going to apply for my uni courses.

My preferance 1 is going to sydney uni and doing medical science. I need approx 91 UAI. My second choice is going to maquarie, and its much lower, i need 79.55 UAI.

Well this is where the dilemna starts. I got a call from my auntie that lives in Western Australia, she asked me how was school, life etc. Well during that convo, she said that if i wanted i could go down and live with her and go to uni down there. Now the uni im lookin at down there is Curtin university which is 70 UAI, and is close to her place.

What should I do, should i go to WA and do my undergraduate course there for medical science or stay in NSW and do it.

I have many reasons for wanting to stay and wanting to go.

I dont want to go because i have heaps of friends here that i definatly want to keep in touch with after school, and if i moves to WA that would be very hard. And i dont really want to leave my fams here in NSW.

But i do want to go, as it would give me a fresh start, i would have alot more freedom, it would be something different, which is good. I also dont know that side of my family very well, so it would be good to get to know them. Aswell as this, my auntie and her husband is very rich and live in a huge house lol.

I know i can get +70 UAI easy, and im most likely going to get higher than 79.55 UAI. But putting the UAI marks aside, what do yall think i should do?

Should i stay, or should i go? And also im planning on going into medicine after doing medical science, and whether i stay or leave im planning on doing it in Sydney after i finish my undergraduate degree. Also what do you know about curtin uni?

Any help given would be of much help

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well unless you have a good reason... UAI 70 ur not exactly going to be doing well if ur not working hard..

If you really want to do something, friends are usually not the biggest problem as you will make more.

When your older you will see that the best decision is the one best for your future, you may not see your 'friends' in university much as it is.

Other options are nursing and science which are both good training for medicine, you have the potential to transfer to med science from both.

Are you going to get the marks to make medicine though? we are talking some stiff competition from BSc,BMedSc, PhDs, Masters, some very good BAs, Comm/Law..

these guys work... and if you keep up with your close to average marks you will not make medicine and I would say seriously consider another career.

Another thing is that BMedSc is not a springboard to medicine just cause the word 'med' is in it. It is a degree to assist in becoming a lab technician, a medical researcher, etc.

Curtin is a decent university and would be fine for your undergraduate but I feel you are not working hard enough for your futher aspirations and this choice for universities is really not the major problem in getting your goals. Are you sure you are not better at something else?

Synopsis of post:
-you will get more friends- find a better excuse and good friends will stick by you.
-family is an OK reason but they want you to do your best so stop using them as an excuse.
-realistically, nursing and science are good NSW options.
-"anyone can do anything"- that motivation crap is not true. If you work hard and you still cant you are probably wasting your time. If you are lazy then work harder or you dont deserve it.
- BMedSc is not 'more' superior for a graduate entry program than anything else.
- Work harder like so hard you get sick. Thats how most people get what they really want.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
Jono10 said:
Im currently in year 12, and am going to apply for my uni courses.

My preferance 1 is going to sydney uni and doing medical science. I need approx 91 UAI. My second choice is going to maquarie, and its much lower, i need 79.55 UAI.

Well this is where the dilemna starts. I got a call from my auntie that lives in Western Australia, she asked me how was school, life etc. Well during that convo, she said that if i wanted i could go down and live with her and go to uni down there. Now the uni im lookin at down there is Curtin university which is 70 UAI, and is close to her place.

What should I do, should i go to WA and do my undergraduate course there for medical science or stay in NSW and do it.

I have many reasons for wanting to stay and wanting to go.

I dont want to go because i have heaps of friends here that i definatly want to keep in touch with after school, and if i moves to WA that would be very hard. And i dont really want to leave my fams here in NSW.

But i do want to go, as it would give me a fresh start, i would have alot more freedom, it would be something different, which is good. I also dont know that side of my family very well, so it would be good to get to know them. Aswell as this, my auntie and her husband is very rich and live in a huge house lol.

I know i can get +70 UAI easy, and im most likely going to get higher than 79.55 UAI. But putting the UAI marks aside, what do yall think i should do?

Should i stay, or should i go? And also im planning on going into medicine after doing medical science, and whether i stay or leave im planning on doing it in Sydney after i finish my undergraduate degree. Also what do you know about curtin uni?

Any help given would be of much help
the only reason FOR going WA seems to be 'freedom' and 'easier uai'
freedom: you take a holiday for that, not the next 3 years of your tertiary schooling
uai: just work harder and try to get into unsw - teaching quality and career prospects are likely to be better than the other universities.

as for friends.. they are intransigent as said above - leave that out of your decision making.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
lionking1191 said:
freedom: you take a holiday for that, not the next 3 years of your tertiary
could also move out of home.

but damn, that's quite a tough decision to make lol, good luck :)

Jono10

HSC
Curtin is a decent university and would be fine for your undergraduate but I feel you are not working hard enough for your futher aspirations and this choice for universities is really not the major problem in getting your goals. Are you sure you are not better at something else?
Theres no reason why i wouldnt work hard, if i were to go to WA or stay here id put in the effort. I like science, i enjoy learnin about the body, medical science and medicine seems is something if always wanted to get into. I know wanting something is different than doing it, but theres no different between me and other people that want to get in the same way as me.

-you will get more friends- find a better excuse and good friends will stick by you.
-family is an OK reason but they want you to do your best so stop using them as an excuse.
-realistically, nursing and science are good NSW options.
-"anyone can do anything"- that motivation crap is not true. If you work hard and you still cant you are probably wasting your time. If you are lazy then work harder or you dont deserve it.
- BMedSc is not 'more' superior for a graduate entry program than anything else.
- Work harder like so hard you get sick. Thats how most people get what they really want.
Im not using nothing as an excuse. When i said in my previous post, i stated reasons for going and not for going as im unsure whether i want to stay or not. They are not excuses for anything.

What do you mean by "realistically". You cant base what i can and cant do, by one post.

Ive never used the phrase "anyone can do anything", its obvious you have to work hard to get somewhere, and working hard, so hard to make you sick will do more bad than good. But that doesnt mean slacking off is an option.

the only reason FOR going WA seems to be 'freedom' and 'easier uai'
freedom: you take a holiday for that, not the next 3 years of your tertiary schooling
uai: just work harder and try to get into unsw - teaching quality and career prospects are likely to be better than the other universities.
Even though med science is alot lower in WA, thats not what im using for a reason to whether i should go down there. If i got in the 90s, id still consider going to WA. I would want to go to WA as it would be something new and challenging.

But i wouldnt want to go for many other reasons.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
when i started uni (earlier this year) i really wanted to keep in contact with my friends too but of course later on i realised... everyone moves on and you yourself barely have enough time to keep up with all the things going on. you can still keep in contact with them through msn but I know that wont be the same. (you can also meet new people in WA of course)

what I really would consider in this is leaving your family... because this CAN make you home sick and may affect your attitude towards studying. And of course the fact that if you're going to be okay living with your relatives.

it doesnt look like you have a problem with the course offered at WA since it's related to what you want to do... i think it just comes down to the living arrangements. just remember you can always transfer after a sem back to any uni in NSW if things dont work out in WA.

good luck. :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I personally would not suggest moving unless you have to because uni is a big adjustment and if you don't know that side of the family you will be getting used to them, and WA as well. This is just my opinon but finding a job, settling into a new place etc all while trying to get uber marks to get into medicine would be hard.

If its only for freedom why not live at home for the first 6 months - year and then when you are settled move out with friends or something. That said its much easier to live at home while you are studying, if you need uber marks then you need to be spending a lot more time on uni than work which is not always an option when you aren't at home.

Have you applied through the WA version of UAC because you would need to do thie before its too late.

HSC
If you want to apply for curtin, you need to apply through TISC by September 30.

From someone who lives in WA, Curtin has a fairly good reputation in the state, especially for a med science course. I know heaps of people studying at Curtin, doing courses such as Geology, Physiotherapy, Psych and Graphic Design, they all seem to enjoy it.

Ultimately though, I think that your decision isn't going to be "which uni", rather "do I want to move interstate?". As melsc said, I think you would be better off staying put (not wanting to put you off though).

Remember you can apply through both UAC and TISC, so really your decision won't have to be made until January.

Good luck

ugotmegood

HSC
I think you should move so that you aren't living with family. The experience of room mates will be a good one for you to learn from :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
just-a-stranger said:
when i started uni (earlier this year) i really wanted to keep in contact with my friends too but of course later on i realised... everyone moves on and you yourself barely have enough time to keep up with all the things going on. you can still keep in contact with them through msn but I know that wont be the same. (you can also meet new people in WA of course)

what I really would consider in this is leaving your family... because this CAN make you home sick and may affect your attitude towards studying. And of course the fact that if you're going to be okay living with your relatives.

it doesnt look like you have a problem with the course offered at WA since it's related to what you want to do... i think it just comes down to the living arrangements. just remember you can always transfer after a sem back to any uni in NSW if things dont work out in WA.

good luck. :)
you can see your friends during holidays more often cant you or at least spare a few weekends?

Rock On

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
Forbidden. said:
you can see your friends during holidays more often cant you or at least spare a few weekends?

Rock On
unfortunately our schedules just don't match.. i do bump into them from time to time though.

Jono10

HSC
Yeah i applied couple days ago with TISC and the UAC.

Still dont know what im going to do, and thanks for all the comments, helpin heaps. And its good to hear that Curtin is a good uni in WA.

If i went to WA, i wouldnt need to travel much, as they live close to curtin (walking distance), if i stay in syd, i would have to catch transport every day, wake up early, go bed early etc. Not sure if that should effect my decision or not

Jono10

HSC
Hmmm, it seems as if the attacks are all directed to women, so i guess you'll be needing those self defence classes more than me, lol.

Ive been boxing for over a year now, so hopefully il be safe :) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)