Uni Advice - UOW or fee pay UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Frigid is a full time law student who just happens to do commerce. :)
yeah, commerce "delights not me - nor [asian girls] either, though by your smiling you seem to say so".

nah seriously, commerce is to please my parents. law is for fun :)

HSC
Frigid said:
yeah, commerce "delights not me - nor [asian girls] either, though by your smiling you seem to say so".

nah seriously, commerce is to please my parents. law is for fun :)
Wouldn't you doing law impress your parents by default though? :S

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
well... they wouldn't be too happy if i did like history as an Arts major with law... but they were okay with chinese as an Arts major...

i don't wanna change now coz it's too late. will do chinese some other way.

being an Arts/Law student seems so cool :)

Raginsheep

HSC
Umm....just a question, even though you make the 5-point UAI cut-off for full fee paying st6udents, has it ever gotten that low? From the info day I attended, the guy said that the lowest they got to last year, 2005, was like 97 or 98. The number of full fee paying places are limited too aren't they?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Umm....just a question, even though you make the 5-point UAI cut-off for full fee paying st6udents, has it ever gotten that low? From the info day I attended, the guy said that the lowest they got to last year, 2005, was like 97 or 98. The number of full fee paying places are limited too aren't they?
He was lying. I know people on this board who received a full fee paying offer with much, much less.

well... they wouldn't be too happy if i did like history as an Arts major with law... but they were okay with chinese as an Arts major...
There are enough Cantonese people studying Mandarin at university as is! :p

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
Hmmm....how many full fee paying places are there for law? More than demand or affordability?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
i've just got a crazily good idea.

kill the combined commerce/law program, and only leave arts/science/eng etc law programs.

then you'd deter a lot of those "chem bio 4unit maths people doing law". hehehe.

if they want to have commerce and law under their belt, make them earn one as a graduate degree. :p
Actually, that's what's happenning with the law degree at Melb Uni. It's being changed into a graduate degree.

This will happen in 2010. All law degrees at Melb Uni will be full fee too, under this scheme. I guess the Go8 unis will follow this strategy soon... they can make a killing out of it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
but rather, i would like law to stay undergraduate... just separate from commerce.
neo_o said:
There are enough Cantonese people studying Mandarin at university as is! :p
i don't know how to read/write fluently.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
but rather, i would like law to stay undergraduate... just separate from commerce.i don't know how to read/write fluently.
That's a bit different. At ANU they scaled the marks, had the assessment primarily written, and at least one quarter of the class could write perfect traditional chinese. It was silly! :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i've tried to explore my options for studying chinese out of uni:-

The Language Exchange (affiliated UTS Insearch) - found their Mandarin courses focussed too much on speaking/listening and not reading/writing. also, the text was really old/boring.

TAFE (Ultimo) - has three Certificate levels of Chinese. apparently sufficiently difficult for my needs.

La Trobe Uni - Chinese Distance Education - has 4 Certificate levels. all based on distance education.

Undergraduate Diploma in Chinese Studies, School of Modern Languages, Faculty of Arts, UNSW - a program of a full major in Chinese without any additional subjects. You need only to complete seven Chinese courses, i.e. 42UOC in Chinese language, professional electives and Chinese Studies courses offered by the Dept. The lady also emailed me saying: "Please note that you've to complete your undergraduate degree(s) first before enrolling in the Undergrad Diploma. I regret to advise that this is the only option".

so yeah, what do you think neo_o?

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
TAFE sounds the best option atm. It's probably the cheapest and most direct way.

Distance is a bit dodgy, esp when it is a Language course.
UNSW is excellent, though you will need to finish your current double degree before starting. Do it if you're willing to wait. I wouldn't be.
The language exchange isn't an option since you don't like it.

BTW. I'm not neo.

HSC
At least CHinese is being offered in YOUR chinese....I'm forever doomed to be one of those "bananas". *gripes about lack of chinese-ness*

But the question is, could you handle doing chinese+law during uni semester? I'd go with the diploma, if you can be bothered to wait/want to learn chinese that badly.

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
i've tried to explore my options for studying chinese out of uni:-

The Language Exchange (affiliated UTS Insearch) - found their Mandarin courses focussed too much on speaking/listening and not reading/writing. also, the text was really old/boring.

TAFE (Ultimo) - has three Certificate levels of Chinese. apparently sufficiently difficult for my needs.

La Trobe Uni - Chinese Distance Education - has 4 Certificate levels. all based on distance education.

Undergraduate Diploma in Chinese Studies, School of Modern Languages, Faculty of Arts, UNSW - a program of a full major in Chinese without any additional subjects. You need only to complete seven Chinese courses, i.e. 42UOC in Chinese language, professional electives and Chinese Studies courses offered by the Dept. The lady also emailed me saying: "Please note that you've to complete your undergraduate degree(s) first before enrolling in the Undergrad Diploma. I regret to advise that this is the only option".

so yeah, what do you think neo_o?

Diploma or Certificate of Languages at Macq? You can sign up for the Certificate and, if you want to do more, continue on and get a DipLang. :)

M

Menai

UNSW is a much better option.

We have asians here.

If you don't agree, i'll ban you for a year.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
charlie_charlie said:
But the question is, could you handle doing chinese+law during uni semester? I'd go with the diploma, if you can be bothered to wait/want to learn chinese that badly.
1. if i can handle 4 law subjects a semester, i can handle 3 laws + 2 finance + chinese.

2. need chinese because want to get HK clerkship and earn more money, get taxed less, more girls etc.

NB: m-E-nai, stop trying to pass off as our beloved DDR champion of a supermod

X

xeuyrawp

Lexicographer said:
Pfft - banned.
hahah. <3

Frigid -- do you live too far away from Mac to do Chinese there? You can even do an awesome period away, although ANU's got a much better vacation/semester/year away program.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
1. if i can handle 4 law subjects a semester, i can handle 3 laws + 2 finance + chinese.

2. need chinese because want to get HK clerkship and earn more money, get taxed less, more girls etc.

NB: m-E-nai, stop trying to pass off as our beloved DDR champion of a supermod
I have friends from both Singapore and HK who are already trying to sell me their cities. The guys from HK seem to be winning out for the above reasons. Anyway, if you're motivated enough I think that you'd be better off downloading the tapes, buying the textbooks off amazon (I recommend the New Chinese Practical Reader) and teaching yourself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)