Unfair disadvantage: 'Gorbachev' directly inferred in Cold War question. (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
whoops unfair advantage* ^^^

I just did the exam today and discovered the similatrities within the exam:

13 a) Describe the role played by the personality you have studied in national And/or international history.

b) 'Events shape people more than people shape events.'
How accurate is this statement in relation to the personality you have studied.

Q19b)
"To what extent were Soviet attitudes and policies under Gorbachev responsible for ending the Cold War?"

The Cold War syllabus does not directly infer to Gorbachev in this manner this is a significant disadvantage to students which did not study Mikhail Gorbachev, who attempted this question.

Also note if your about to say Pol Pot was mentioned similarly in the Conflict in Indochina question 16b):

"To what extent ws the rise to power of Pol Pot's regime a consequene of the spread of the Vietnam War to Cambodia?" This is consistent with the second Cold War question, however there is now Individual study for Pol Pot.

I think the exam was not cross-checked significantly with other sections of the exam and that the scrutineers not to check for cross-section exam errors, consistency's or significant overlap.

It appears the Board of Studies has given a distinct and unfair advantage dispite the syllabus over lap both questions ask to describe the role of the individual Mikhail Gorbachev.

My conflict study was 'Cold War' and my individual study was Mikhail Gorbachev. Despite the syllabus overlap the questions permitted give a significant advantage to people studying both.

My teachers said people would create "a big stink about this, but nothing would probably get done". I hope the media picks this up, there should be a much hore consise review and revision before these papers are used. I just think that the questions the Board of studies examiners choose should not have been so closely linked and directly infering upon each other. Nothing can be done to write this wrong, its too late i just hope it never happens again for any exam. Having people cross check the exam could comprimise the integrity of the exam though.

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
That's exactly why option (a) was made so simple.

It doesn't matter anymore, it's over. No need to worry about modern history ever again. :)

i.love.my.duck

HSC
i started another thread about this, coz i didn't see yours...

i did trotsky, russia and cold war...and i did the gorbachev question....i had prepared a practice essay for the end of the cold war, so i think i did relatively all right for the question, but im just worried about the degree of detail i went into the policies of gorb.

so yeh...i dont think i would have done any better at the other question...but still..

like i do trotsky and russia, and understand the distinct advantage I would have had if the russia question related directly to trotksy...though, having looked at the gorbachev syllabus, i don't think i would have gained as much advantage, as many of the sections for gorbachev relate directly to the end of the cold war and his policies etc.

dona adikari

HSC
I answered that Cold War question and I didn't study Gorbacev for the personality. But I don't think I had a disadvantage because the question wasn't just asking you about Gorbacev. You could have talked about the significance of Reagan, the arms limitations talks, the impact of afghanistan to ending the Cold War. You only really needed to talk about Gorby in one paragraph and then discuss the other factors and say whether they were more significant or not.

Ademir

HSC
Don't pretty much all tests have some sort of disadvantage/advantage to some students?

You can't argue about this cos then people who do harder topics or mixed topics rather than all Russia/all Germany etc will complain that they were disadvantaged.

Although, if it asked something that wasn't in the syllabus, that is slightly dodgy.

Hayley__

HSC
I studied gorbachev, russia and cold war and let me just say, my class was absolutely ecstatic, but i agree that it's unfair.
The essays ended up being similar, only one out of ten did the truman question...

I used the same quotes twice he he.

andreathedancer

HSC
Well i did Gorbachev as my personality and i chose the part (b) in the Cold War section and quite frankly by the end of the exam i was sick of Gorbachev, it seemed i was nearly writing the same thing for like three questions haha

thank god its over is all i can say!! :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Ademir said:
Don't pretty much all tests have some sort of disadvantage/advantage to some students?

You can't argue about this cos then people who do harder topics or mixed topics rather than all Russia/all Germany etc will complain that they were disadvantaged.

Although, if it asked something that wasn't in the syllabus, that is slightly dodgy.
Yes but it is minute and im talking about the content of exams and questions. They should not directly overlap each other, thus it is a clear advantage to some students who studied Gorbachev's policies which influenced domestic and international policy, thus led to the end of the Cold War. This re-uttered in Cold War question. The similarities in science exams such as for e.g. Core topics and Shipwrecks are not so disadvantageos since they are meant to overlap and the maximum question value is 6 so it does not impact majorly on the entire cohort.

No, you clearly don't get the point, it is the board of studies examiners who wrote the exam used the same 'individual attitudes and policies' question structure for section III for Cold War and the Conflict in indochina question b). It isn't unfair for them to refer to an individual within a question, yes it's within the scope of the syllabus, but Gorbachev and the Cold War has the only significant overlap and the section II questions provided a good ground basis for question 19b, the coincidence of similarity and theme raises an ethical issue, was it fair and were other students disadvantaged? Clearly when other students are not in this position, they were disadvantaged.

10.3 Part III: Personalities in the Twentieth Century
Percentage of course time: 25%
Principal focus: Through the study of a modern personality, students gain an understanding
of the role of the individual in a period of national or international history.
Outcomes
Students:
H1.1 describe the role of key features, issues, individuals, groups and events of selected
twentieth-century studies
H1.2 analyse and evaluate the role of key features, issues, individuals, groups and
events of selected twentieth-century studies
H2.1 explain forces and ideas and assess their significance in contributing to change and
continuity during the twentieth century
H3.1 ask relevant historical questions
H3.2 locate, select and organise relevant information from different types of sources
H3.3 analyse and evaluate sources for their usefulness and reliability
H3.4 explain and evaluate differing perspectives and interpretations of the past
H3.5 plan and present the findings of historical investigations, analysing and synthesising
information from different types of sources
H4.1 use historical terms and concepts appropriately
H4.2 communicate a knowledge and understanding of historical features and issues using
appropriate and well-structured oral and written forms

Option 4: Mikhail Gorbachev 1931 to 2000
Principal focus: Through the study of Mikhail Gorbachev, students gain an understanding of
the role of this personality in a period of national or international history.
Students learn about:
1 Historical context
– Cold War and détente
– Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
– the Brezhnev era
– Reagan’s renewal of the Cold War
– Soviet economic and social problems
– nationalist movements within and outside the USSR
2 Background
– family background and education
– early roles within the Communist Party
– technocrat
3 Rise to prominence
– General Secretary of the Communist Party
– death of Andropov and Chernenko
– policies of Glasnost and Perestroika
4 Significance and evaluation
– relations with the USA
– relations with Eastern Europe
– end of the Cold War
– collapse of Eastern Europe
– evaluation: for example visionary, traitor to communism?

10.4 Part IV: International Studies in Peace and Conflict
Percentage of course time: 25%
Principal focus: Students investigate key features and issues of ONE International Study in
Peace and Conflict.
Outcomes
Students:
H1.1 describe the role of key features, issues, individuals, groups and events of selected
twentieth-century studies
H1.2 analyse and evaluate the role of key features, issues, individuals, groups and events of
selected twentieth-century studies
H2.1 explain forces and ideas and assess their significance in contributing to change and
continuity during the twentieth century

Modern History Stage 6 Syllabus
Option F: The Cold War 1945–1991
Principal focus: Students investigate key features and issues in the history of the Cold War
1945–1991.
Key features and issues:
• origins and development of the Cold War
• influence of the ideologies of communism and capitalism on the Cold War
• origins, nature and impact of détente on the Cold War
• changing policies, strategies and responses to the Cold War
• impact of crises on changing superpower relations
• the arms race and disarmament
• reasons for the end of the Cold War
Students learn about:
1 Origins of the Cold War 1945–1953
– 1945 conferences and the emergence of the superpowers
– emerging differences between the superpowers
– the Truman Doctrine and its consequences
– impact of the early crises: the Berlin blockade and airlift, China becoming communist
in 1949 and the Korean War
2 Development of the Cold War to 1968
– policy of containment, domino theory and the emergence of peaceful co-existence
– superpower rivalry: the arms race and space race
– nature and impact of crises: Berlin Wall 1961, Cuba 1962, Czechoslovakia 1968
3 Détente
– economic and political reasons for détente
– geopolitical developments: Vietnam, Sino-Soviet split, the Middle East
– features and consequences of détente
4 Renewal and end of the Cold War
– Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and its impact
– US attitudes and policies under Reagan
– Soviet attitudes and policies under Gorbachev
– disarmament agreements 1987–1991
– collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and the USSR

Last edited:

i.love.my.duck

HSC
in the end tho, i was really happy to get a question I could write about comfortably...

before our trials, we only spent two weeks on the cold war, with our teacher being away for 3 or more days...then after the trials, he was away for much of the time looking after his mother (who is 92!) and thus, amongst preparations for scholarships and all the disruption, we really spent only minimal time on the cold war, and only then on the first half of the syllabus!

i mean my teacher is the best at our school, but it was still stress x100000

especially last night...we have this school google-groups forum and all the modern people were freaking out majorly...

so all in all, it could have been worse for me, if they asked another question...tho the problem may have been fixed if they just asked why the cold war ended...then you could focus on what u wanted

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
i.love.my.duck said:
in the end tho, i was really happy to get a question I could write about comfortably...

before our trials, we only spent two weeks on the cold war, with our teacher being away for 3 or more days...then after the trials, he was away for much of the time looking after his mother (who is 92!) and thus, amongst preparations for scholarships and all the disruption, we really spent only minimal time on the cold war, and only then on the first half of the syllabus!

i mean my teacher is the best at our school, but it was still stress x100000

especially last night...we have this school google-groups forum and all the modern people were freaking out majorly...

so all in all, it could have been worse for me, if they asked another question...tho the problem may have been fixed if they just asked why the cold war ended...then you could focus on what u wanted
I thought u were talking about my school for a minute, our teacher has a hernia just before the hsc and we had to rush through Cold War and Gorbachev with a substitute.

woah Baulko thats the 2nd best school in the state, Don't you have that text book writter as your teacher Dennis Mootz? or Stephenson or Dixon, can't remember the name but he wrote the Key Features in Modern History book.

somewhereelse

HSC
haha yeah but wooz, clearly doing both advantaged us so why are you complaining?
i just wish i studied harder, it would have been such an easy test!
and there is a 'soviet attitudes under gorbachev' part of the cold war syllabus, so technically theyre not asking something thats not from the syllabus

Last edited:

i.love.my.duck

HSC
Wooz said:
I thought u were talking about my school for a minute, our teacher has a hernia just before the hsc and we had to rush through Cold War and Gorbachev with a substitute.

woah Baulko thats the 2nd best school in the state, Don't you have that text book writter as your teacher Dennis Mootz? or Stephenson or Dixon, can't remember the name but he wrote the Key Features in Modern History book.
lol when did i mention i was from baulko?

and yes, my teacher is bruce dennett =)

he's the best in the world!! i was so lucky to have him for modern and ancient, but then our ancient classes got switched =(

but yeh...we don't always focus in class...like we didn't even finish ww1 until a week before trials....for cold war tho i think he just wanted us to focus on the first part of the cold war for our essays...

its so cool, for ww1, he has this whole structured way of answering the third question on reliability and usefulness...so we just go in and basically have a rote learned strategy that we mould to the question...

yay =)

im so glad i have him, specially since the other modern teacher is kindof a running joke...i mean that in a nice way tho

lgaica

HSC
dona adikari said:
I answered that Cold War question and I didn't study Gorbacev for the personality. But I don't think I had a disadvantage because the question wasn't just asking you about Gorbacev. You could have talked about the significance of Reagan, the arms limitations talks, the impact of afghanistan to ending the Cold War. You only really needed to talk about Gorby in one paragraph and then discuss the other factors and say whether they were more significant or not.
yeah there wasnt much of an advantage for the cold war kids who didnt do gorbachev as a personality, as the question required more knowledge than just gorbachev.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
True, the question asked is directly from the syllabus, but the analysis of his role in the international and national stage as well as his role with events shaping people vice versa set the basis of the Cold War question vice versa.

i.love.my.duck.: I thought u were from my school when u said ur teacher was sick so i looked at ur profile, u should of used his book Key Features of Modern history, by Stephen Dixon and Bruce Dennett 3rd edition, it's a great book.

BTW, I love a good roast duck so watch out!!!

Last edited:

i.love.my.duck

HSC
Wooz said:
i.love.my.duck.: I thought u were from my school when u said ur teacher was sick so i looked at ur profile, u should of used his book Key Features of Modern history, by Stephen Dixon and Bruce Dennett 3rd edition, it's a great book.

BTW, I love a good roast duck so watch out!!!
o right...and i did use his book =) its very good

and about the duck thing...no! lol im vegetarian and I have five pet ducks, and they're so cute!!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Woah, that's a bit strange for someone from baulko, so your not the average stereotypical asian from baulko or ruse.

Adult ducks or cute little ducklings? Do you have a large yard or farm, it must be noisey having ducks in a residential area.

bronsie

HSC
arhh i'm so jealous that you guys have bruce dennet!!! :D that guy is great!
i met him at one of those time management lecture thingys and then in class one day i suddenly made the connection..

but anyway in response to this topic :p..
i did gorby myself and was rather pleased with the cold war question

only 3% of people do gorbachev (well those were the stats last year.. just thought i'd put that out there), but even so i agree that it was a bit of an advantage.

i thought the truman doctrine question was pretty fair too though.

somewhereelse

HSC
bronsie said:
arhh i'm so jealous that you guys have bruce dennet!!! :D that guy is great!
i met him at one of those time management lecture thingys and then in class one day i suddenly made the connection..

but anyway in response to this topic :p..
i did gorby myself and was rather pleased with the cold war question

only 3% of people do gorbachev (well those were the stats last year.. just thought i'd put that out there), but even so i agree that it was a bit of an advantage.

i thought the truman doctrine question was pretty fair too though.
yeah they were both pretty easy!
i have no idea why any modern class would choose a personality that didnt link to another of their topics!!

although.. i guess some are linked to national studies? i guess we could have done speer or leni whatsername.. haha nevermind. im just glad its over :)
& i now miss having ducks!!

EmilyFox

HSC
Wooz said:
whoops unfair advantage* ^^^

I just did the exam today and discovered the similatrities within the exam:

13 a) Describe the role played by the personality you have studied in national And/or international history.

b) 'Events shape people more than people shape events.'
How accurate is this statement in relation to the personality you have studied.

Q19b)
"To what extent were Soviet attitudes and policies under Gorbachev responsible for ending the Cold War?"

The Cold War syllabus does not directly infer to Gorbachev in this manner this is a significant disadvantage to students which did not study Mikhail Gorbachev, who attempted this question.

Also note if your about to say Pol Pot was mentioned similarly in the Conflict in Indochina question 16b):

"To what extent ws the rise to power of Pol Pot's regime a consequene of the spread of the Vietnam War to Cambodia?" This is consistent with the second Cold War question, however there is now Individual study for Pol Pot.

I think the exam was not cross-checked significantly with other sections of the exam and that the scrutineers not to check for cross-section exam errors, consistency's or significant overlap.

It appears the Board of Studies has given a distinct and unfair advantage dispite the syllabus over lap both questions ask to describe the role of the individual Mikhail Gorbachev.

My conflict study was 'Cold War' and my individual study was Mikhail Gorbachev. Despite the syllabus overlap the questions permitted give a significant advantage to people studying both.

My teachers said people would create "a big stink about this, but nothing would probably get done". I hope the media picks this up, there should be a much hore consise review and revision before these papers are used. I just think that the questions the Board of studies examiners choose should not have been so closely linked and directly infering upon each other. Nothing can be done to write this wrong, its too late i just hope it never happens again for any exam. Having people cross check the exam could comprimise the integrity of the exam though.
well we didnt do gorbachev as our personality, and i thought that that question wa excellent! if you didnt like it do the other one. how easy is it to write about the truman doctrine!

i.love.my.duck

HSC
Wooz said:
Woah, that's a bit strange for someone from baulko, so your not the average stereotypical asian from baulko or ruse.

Adult ducks or cute little ducklings? Do you have a large yard or farm, it must be noisey having ducks in a residential area.
lol...i don't really see my grade as being that nerdy...unless im just used to it. Our grade is actually a bit psycho...incidences of lighting pe shirts and blowing things up on the basketball courts, then filming them, and putting it on you tube...under 'baulko'...lol that got a few people suspended =)

and i just live in a residential area...we have a largish block, but my type of ducks don't quack so they're not noisy...and they're all grown up now, but we've had lots of baby ducklings hatch =) we even had this one duckling that hatched by itself, and it used to run after our dogs, and sleep with them =)

and back to the topic...i don't think I had a disadvantage in answering the gorbachev question for cw, its just that people who did him as a personality had an advantage, and it will depend on whether they utilised it =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)