Unfair assessment? (1 Viewer)

wysewise

HSC
Does anyone know if key BOS terms HAVE to be used in an assessment? We had a really confusing english assessment today and there was no key word used for the essay question!?!? It didn't tell us what to do. this was the question:

"Emma is just as much about herself as it is about Clueless"

Firstly the question is way beyond logical comprehension, but is it grounds to contest against BOS regulations?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
wysewise said:
Does anyone know if key BOS terms HAVE to be used in an assessment? We had a really confusing english assessment today and there was no key word used for the essay question!?!? It didn't tell us what to do. this was the question:

Firstly the question is way beyond logical comprehension, but is it grounds to contest against BOS regulations?
I can make no sense of that question at all.

wysewise

HSC
I reckon.
if I had the chance to let one subject burn and die very slowly while I watched...

.. well.
it would be english

HSC
wysewise said:

Was that the actual 'question' ?
Or was there more to it ?

wysewise

HSC
That was it!

then it said "refer to context, language features and the given scene (box hill)"

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
wysewise said:
That was it!

then it said "refer to context, language features and the given scene (box hill)"
wow, i'm glad I don't go to your school. If I got that question in an exam, I would just fail.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Orrr you could just do the normal thing and ask for an elboration, and, failing that, then start whinging about it to the head teacher, then BOS

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
What the fuck is elboration.
is a typo, thats what it is.
congrats, you pick up on net spellz.

*Elaboration

there we go.

HSC
wysewise said:
That was it!

Right... well in my opinion 'refer to context, language features etc..' is included in the question. It probably wasn't an actual 'question' as such, I think you were just supposed to discuss the statement according to the techniques used and say whether you support this statement or not, blah blah blah.

mel4dan

wysewise said:

That statement doesn't even make any sense...

Cerry

HSC
The way I see it, the statement meant "The storyline in the book Emma is as much about the character Emma as it is about the film Clueless." However, what I suspect your teacher probably thought it meant was "The book Emma is as much about the character Emma as Clueless is about Cher" or "The book Emma and the film Clueless are equally based on the character Emma." Epic fail on the teacher's part.
You should be able to lodge a complaint with someone about that, because aside from the poor wording, it's not really something that can have both a for and against argument, which statements for assessments should.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
wysewise said:

I would say that it is a fair starting point, but if that was the whole thing then I would compain. The question doesn't ask you to do anything... its just a statement. How can they expect you to do anything, because it doesn't ask you to do anything.

In the HSC they would add a line after that saying.. somehting like.. discuss this statement with reference to ...

Rebekkie said:
therefore you would either agree or disagree with it and support with arguments.
You can't be expected to do that if they never ask you too.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
wysewise said:

Ive got a copy of that question here. It's an official 2006 trial paper question.
If you would like further explanation of the question please feel free to pm me and I will explain it if you wish

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Now that's a really bad question! But I agree with what the others have said, its a statement.

I hate English too.....

lionking1191

HSC
that's a statement
in english, you apply your knowledge of the module in relations to that statement. it doesn't matter which way you interpret it as long as its reasonable and backed up in the proper englishy way

and in the case of Transformations, the statement does make sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)