Underperforming in exams (1 Viewer)

Coetez

HSC
i actually go at medium-slow pace, even though i know i can go faster, because i make less mistakes. your strategy will pretty much fail if you do 4U maths. this is because you will rush through the first half of the paper and when you get to the hard questions you will naturally try to get the solution out, and there will be no time to check the first half, and hence you will lose marks. however this strategy has worked for many in 2U.
Yeah in 4u, and even 3u for the HSC this strategy is not great, definitely not the go in 4u haha However OP is in year 11, and even in most prelim ext1 exams this is on the whole successful, tried and tested. :) Everyone works in different ways at the end of the day though, just find whatever suits you best and roll with it.

enoilgam

HSC
I can remember a few exams where I have underperformed despite putting in a strong effort. That's the nature of exams though, sometimes you just have an off day.

Capo

HSC
I don't think 22 marks is all silly mistakes. Maybe you've convinced yourself you "knew all the content".

Also consider how well you studied. Studying 2hrs a day for 2 weeks doesn't mean you'll be ready, especially if you study in a really bad way.

If the above is incorrect than this was a one off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well I was moderately productive when I studied in the holidays. 2 hours of work + 30 minute breaks and another 2 hours after that each day. Maybe the method doesn't suit me?

Never had this situation before :( I usually study much less and still somehow achieve better results than this

Last edited:
HSC
Well I was moderately productive when I studied in the holidays. 2 hours of work + 30 minute breaks and another 2 hours after that each day. Maybe the method doesn't suit me?

Never had this situation before :( I usually study much less and still somehow achieve better results than this
Remember its not about the quantity of tie for which you study but the effectiveness of your study.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
If you've studied for weeks I can understanding under performing due to the nature of the exam or how you're feeling on the day, but actually failing (<50%) is a bit of a concern. Maybe your methods of studying aren't right?

deloving

HSC
Last edited:

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
yeah mate just chillax next time when its trial time. Study a bit less and relax yourself and maybe you will perform better.

deloving

HSC
Huehuehuehueuhe. This will be me tomorrow during my Extension exam. I haven't even finished preparing my essay and the exam is in... exactly 12 hours from now. Cramming til the last minute~

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Good luck guys, (for the record, I had a mental breakdown before my accounting exam, know that feel.....)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it just me or has anyone else just completely failed an exam after studying hard for it beforehand?

I've studied for half yearly examinations for weeks and yet I still managed to screw it up :(

I know my content but I just lose so many marks (about 22/60 marks) due to silly errors. And I know most of the stuff i got wrong but I just somehow get it wrong...

Any advice would be appreciated!
It is relative, though.

How did everyone else go? If they performed similarly and your rank is relatively good, then that's good. If they performed much better, and your rank is bad than it is a worry.

deloving

HSC
Huehuehuehueuhe. This will be me tomorrow during my Extension exam. I haven't even finished preparing my essay and the exam is in... exactly 12 hours from now. Cramming til the last minute~
3 hours left, still memorising it~! (both essay and creative) I should be fine if I remember the quotes.

Capo

HSC
It is relative, though.

How did everyone else go? If they performed similarly and your rank is relatively good, then that's good. If they performed much better, and your rank is bad than it is a worry.
My rank is relatively bad. Everyone else did quite well. I think I'm in the bottom 20% in my grade for Maths for half yearlies.

Wearneylad

HSC
Well that was extremely silly of you. Those silly mistakes are unacceptable. You obviously didn't prepare well enough beforehand.

For me practicing past papers under exam conditions is helpful, even if its not past HSC papers you can ask your teacher for past half yearly papers from your teacher.

I'll come visit you at waiting for a mate... awkward.. swaggot

CloudDeter

HSC
I wouldn't stress about this too much. You have your yearlys and assessment tasks for whatever subjects you have to go. I always write out my notes into heavily summarised sentences to refresh my memory.

Capo

HSC
Haha thanks guys! Hopefully my English mark can bail me out of this one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)