umat/ medicine at Newcastle (1 Viewer)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
Is it true that it is virtually impossible to get into medicine first time or straight out of year 12, because i want to do medicine, but i heard that it would be better to do a bridging course because they don't accept under 20 year olds...

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
there are people on this forum who got into medicine at uni straight out of uni

all you can do is try at least.

and if you don't get it you can do the bridging course

kt

HSC
i don't think that it's nearly impossible to do it, and you don't really lose anything by trying. i thought it would be heaps harder than it was, even with the rural stream of application and didn't expect to get in. but that's just my opinion about my own experience. yes, i did have to write the essays for unsw, and it took me awhile to work out what to write as well! fot the work experience one i wrote about the voluntary work i did at the local vets for 18 months when i wanted to be a vet and how that made me want to do medicine. then about the weeks work experience in year 10 at the local hospital and week at the pharmacy. i think you just need to explain what you learnt about yourself in relation to a medical career in these periods eg. "I learnt that a certain attitude is necessary in order to help someone open up about often very personal issues, a lesson that I think will help me enormously in my future career as a healthcare professional." it's all just stuff i did actually learn, but didn't realise 'til i really thought about it. for school and community activities i just talked about eisteddfods and school plays and things like clean up australia day and the red shield appeal. you just need to kind of link it all by expressing how that sort of stuff has influenced you and your views. anyway, good luck! i hope my ramblings might help you in some way.

Zali

HSC
Thanks. Thats helped heaps. Im doing sum work exp at Coffs hospital later this term. Which umat prep course did u go 2? im thinking of a med entry 1 any1 ever been to them?

kt

HSC
i didn't realise how big a deal umat is when i was applying, so i did the only prep course my careers advisor knew about, which was the national institute of education one. it was ok. the only thing it really helped me improve was section three, which i am terrible at.

kt

HSC
According to the UNCLE website, the university information day is for Callaghan is Saturday
10 September. The School Visit Day is Thursday 30 June 2005 for Callaghan, which an information session about the medical degree in session three of the day.

Breakingthegirl

HSC
hey there, i was hoping to recieve some advice from people who have either tried or gotten into Medicine at newy.
Do you need math for medicine?
i am thinking of dropping 2u maths. although there is nothing stating that math is a prerequisite or even assumed knowledge for medicine...i have been warned by various people that i will never be accepted for an interview without having it! pfft!
now i'm all confused...
my math teacher thinks that the only reason it doesn't mention math in the pamphlets and on the websites is because they don't want law suits from people who feel descriminated against!

kt

HSC
Hi, good luck for med! I don't think I'll be able to help you much, but I did 2u Mathematics for the HSC and got into Newcastle for med (Applied 2004, deferred for 05 so I start in a month!). From memory (my interview was over a year ago), school subjects weren't discussed or questioned at all. I don't know anyone else that got in or applied, so I can't tell you if maths seemed to be necessary or not. I would think that if they completely excluded people that didn't do maths, then they would be obliged to say that in the information they provide to prospective students. Otherwise it seems a bit dishonest to me. Have you tried ringing the faculty and asking them directly?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
nah, maths isn't required
newc med has no hsc prerequisites
the only maths you'll do in first year will be in public health and just doing simple calculations for odds ratios and such and such.

From the Newcastle med booklet

"Prerequisites
There are no formal prerequisites, however, the admission procedure selects applicants who have reached a high academic standard and have the necessary personal qualities..."

so there you have it, no maths required!

Last edited:

moz

Med Student
HSC
maths in med?!?!?! pffft! as long as u know how to times and add numbers you can pass public health in semester 1, and then after that its just knowing doses per litre or per kg for patients.

you most DEFINITELY don't need maths for med, or anything else for that matter. it don't matter if you've done a biomed degree or a nursing degree before hand, after 6 mths here everyone is on same playing field.

course that said i did 4 unit maths, but that was just for fun and to bring marks up.

oh and i almost forgot.. only prerequisite for med is that u must love watching tv shows (main;y scrubs, grey's and house).. and for that i'm your man!

-drjekyll

maniche

HSC
hey people.

Just wnate dto ask, if someone who is in first year of tertiary study, does it matter about thier tertiary performance for the first year, or do they get considered as undergraduates, so its only thier UAI , UMAT and interview.
I need clarifiaction on this so an answer would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks alot.Cheers.

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
maniche said:
hey people.

Just wnate dto ask, if someone who is in first year of tertiary study, does it matter about thier tertiary performance for the first year, or do they get considered as undergraduates, so its only thier UAI , UMAT and interview.
I need clarifiaction on this so an answer would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks alot.Cheers.
Hey, not quite sure what you're asking there. Can you clarify? From what you've wrriten I gather you're doing your first year in university and you want to apply for medicine? If so, your UAI doesn't count anymore. You have to do fairly well in terms of marks (C/D average I think?) And also you have to do well in UMAT and interview. I don't get the fuss about the interview... it's really easy: they just want to know what kind of a person you are so just be honest. I didn't study for the UMAT (and I'm not naturally smart) and I didn't get coaching for the interview. I think if someone really wants to do medicine, they will have no problem. I'm in my first year this year and I did one year of Bachelor of Oral Health last year.

I think its one of the most satisfying courses to do!

moz

Med Student
HSC
boo newy med!! :-(

sorry, always get a little anti-med around this time (1 week before exams)

-jeram
p.s. BITE ME NEUROANATOMY!!!!
p.p.s. anyone here get interviews for this yr? If so congrats!!!! What days? You'll prob end up seeing atleast either me or May at the interviews.

emma2290

HSC
has anyone got the email yet for an interview for 2008? I am wondering whether they have come out yet. Still waiting for mine...

Season

HSC
Newcastle offers have been mailed today for 2008, interstate people should have already have gotten theirs, lowest UMAT I heard was 178

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)