UMAT Courses (1 Viewer)

eleco

HSC
hi everyone, So both Medentry and amepp have hard copied resources???, i notice medentry tests are online but.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Congrats to your brother, but he would have sat gamsat :p

An inspiration to us all.

Hurri

HSC
secret said:
he was absolutly going crazy, wouldn't talk, locked himself in his bedroom and studied up to 18 hours a day..
sounds like he'll be a good doctor under pressure.

peter2

Banned
HSC
im in yr 11 this year. i was just wondering when do you guys think i should start studying for the umat. how long should i start studying in advanced. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hurri

HSC
you can start now by reading over the UMAT/ACER website to familarise yourself with the whole process. I say at the start of grade 12, do about 1 hour a week (thats like nothing at all) worth and don't worry too much about it till about a month before.

renton

HSC
how much do these umat courses cost, i heard some are like a grand - id rather buy an xbox 360 with fite night and fifa 06, thatd be sweet,

but seriously do these things make that much of a difference? i have no intention of doing one of these things, ill just do some practice questions and sit the exam. it seems like some people take the umat very very seriously.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
yea well..some people are "very very" serious about getting into medicine. If you dont want to take the UMAT seriously (and that doesnt mean doing prep courses either), then i'd suggest that you look for a different course, because medicine is a serious business and takes a lot of ...etc.etc . :p

renton

HSC
you may have misunderstood me, i will be taking it seriously, but im really only taking it in the case that i do choose to go down that career path (uai permitting). are there a lot like me? or are most of the umat entrants die-hard medicine enthusiasts?

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
i can see why some of you said Dallas sucks. i was meant to do a course today and tomorrow but today got cancelled cause they couldn't get into the uni or something similarly stupid. i woke up at freakin 6 o'clock so i could get ready only to be called at 7 to be informed that it wasn't on. it's still on tomorrow but they're gonna do what was meant to be for today and the second day stuff AFTER the UMAT exams. apparently it works cause the second day stuff is all about the interviews

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
i can see why some of you said Dallas sucks.
No, that's not why. Sit the course, sit the exam, get your results - then you might see why.

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
just came back from the course. absolute CRAP!!!! i felt like i just flushed $439 down the toilet. for a 9 hour course, it's hard to believe how little we got through. so much time was spent on Section 1 that we only touched on Section 2 and didn't even look at Section 3. when going through eg. questions of Section 1, Dallas spent soooooo much time asking us to explain which answer we picked and why. and after that he just said the answer and moved on. where's the explaination and instruction on how to look at the question?!? at least we got to do a practice exam. otherwise it would've been a complete waste. and Dallas is the most patronising person i have ever met. what a DICKHEAD!!! his assistant made him out to be some great man that was passionate about helping us pass but really he's just passionate about money. no materials (sheets and the like) received what so ever. what did my money go into? probably his airfares... and whenever anyone tried asking questions about the test he was like "look at me, hold my hand. i wanna be a doctor". IDIOT!!! for anyone out there planning in the future (whenever that may be) to do a UMAT course, DON'T DO ICARUS COLLEGE (a.k.a. DALLAS). you are bound to perish in the sea just like what it's named after.... gotta go order ACER question books!

Last edited:

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
LOL..now that sec 3- the only section you could possibly "study" for- isnt in the UMAT anymore, the UMAT prep coursess have nothing to prepare you for...what a waste of time- better to spend your time studying for your trials :p

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
i did f2f umat... it was over 3 weeks... 4th lesson and even has trials, hw and class discussions..
i thought it was helpful.. dunno bout med entry.. heard it is ok.. but you only go 1 or 2 days... at least the hw part helped in f3f.. and u could ask q and have 8 practice papers as resources....

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hm Btw, this might seem random but, say a person is doing an undergraduate degree right now, and plans to move into a Med Degree, do they do the UMAT or do they do the GAMSAT?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
For a transfer (where you move before finishing your course), you sit the UMAT.
For graduate entry (where you move after finishing your course), you sit GAMSAT.

For success, uni marks are important in both.

JacobS

HSC
N/A
I went to F2F too! Did you get Mike as your teacher? He's so funny! They were really good. They had heaps of material and heaps of offline support. I think they're sick of me constantly calling them lol, but they still answer my qns. I reckon seminar based tuition just isn't the way to go. Small classes are better because you actually get taught something useful. I know its a bit strange to go outside the Medentry/Dallas/AMEPP triumvirate (I went to MedEntry too and wasnt' inspired) but i rate F2F as the best.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Yeah I too, fully support f2f, they are by far the best. A close second place would probably go to medentry -- their resource amount would be the same as f2f, but id go to f2f first for both inspiration and to get a better clue into the whole umat thing i guess.

For those of you who have no idea what the hell f2f is about, check them out:
www.f2fumat.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)