UAI - UNSW combined law for 2009ers (1 Viewer)

daeneee

HSC
N/A
as there are no more full-fee paying spots available, does anyone know what will happen to the UAI cut offs?
this year, it was 99.3 but does anyone hav any info about what will happen?
lower due to more spots available or not?

cheers!

lionking1191

HSC
daeneee said:
as there are no more full-fee paying spots available, does anyone know what will happen to the UAI cut offs?
this year, it was 99.3 but does anyone hav any info about what will happen?
lower due to more spots available or not?

cheers!
well if you think about it DFEE cut-offs for high-end courses hover around 90-96 region so i doubt these courses (ie. combined law) will be affected much.

and no csp places won't increase but rather DFEE will be replaced with international spots

lionking1191

HSC
cookieeater said:
i don't get your reasoning at all.
no DFEE = everyone tries to get into the CSP places, which, if rumours hold true, won't increase to match the increase in demand. after that basic economics takes over.

high end won't be affected since no one in their right mind would go DFEE when they can get a CSP place, and you would assume that the previously DFEE people who is now looking for CSP places won't attain the uai for the really competitive courses

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
well if you think about it DFEE cut-offs for high-end courses hover around 90-96 region so i doubt these courses (ie. combined law) will be affected much.

and no csp places won't increase but rather DFEE will be replaced with international spots

But if the DFEE places are no more, then those spots previously reserved for DFEE students will now be opened up to everyone else through the CSP places.

E.g. __2008 - 160 CSP places in course X, and 40 DFEE places
___.In 2009 - 200 CSP places in course X, and no more DFEE places

And using you're "basic economics" logic, does this not mean that the UAI cut offs will be lower? (due to greater supply, assuming im not missing anything else)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The dfee places are not going be converted to CSP places. They are being converted into full-fee paying international places. The uni would be losing money if it converted them to CSP places, and the federal government is not going to fund the difference. Abolishing the Dfee places was a cynical vote buying exercise in the politics of envy. No Australian student will be better off as a result of the Rudd government doing this.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
The dfee places are not going be converted to CSP places. They are being converted into full-fee paying international places. The uni would be losing money if it converted them to CSP places, and the federal government is not going to fund the difference. Abolishing the Dfee places was a cynical vote buying exercise in the politics of envy. No Australian student will be better off as a result of the Rudd government doing this.
Oh I get it now, I assumed the Government would subsidise the losses incurred by Uni's, but instead the spots are going to international students....

Way to go Rudd Government

Last edited:

Spiketwo03

HSC
Hey, I got a UAI of 98.65 but i did not bother to apply for EAS even though i probably could have got it. Is it too late to apply for EAS and what are the chances i would get a late round offer?

BeeCom

HSC
Spiketwo03 said:
Hey, I got a UAI of 98.65 but i did not bother to apply for EAS even though i probably could have got it. Is it too late to apply for EAS and what are the chances i would get a late round offer?
99.999999999999999999999% too late

lionking1191

HSC
Iruka said:
ah well the rich can't pay their way into uni (yes i realise its a stereotype) anymore... that makes me happy :eek:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
bell531 said:
But if the DFEE places are no more, then those spots previously reserved for DFEE students will now be opened up to everyone else through the CSP places.

E.g. __2008 - 160 CSP places in course X, and 40 DFEE places
___.In 2009 - 200 CSP places in course X, and no more DFEE places

And using you're "basic economics" logic, does this not mean that the UAI cut offs will be lower? (due to greater supply, assuming im not missing anything else)
the only thing your missing is the 'economy of shortage' factor.

law spots an UNSW will always have excess demand, even if there is more supply.

lionking1191

HSC
gibbo153 said:
the only thing your missing is the 'economy of shortage' factor.

law spots an UNSW will always have excess demand, even if there is more supply.
no but if supply increases at a faster rate than demand, price equilibirum will shift. ie. uai would be less.

in this case supply isn't increasing.

thanks rudd.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
no but if supply increases at a faster rate than demand, price equilibirum will shift. ie. uai would be less.

in this case supply isn't increasing.

thanks rudd.
hmm this is true.

at least he has cool hair though

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
ah well the rich can't pay their way into uni (yes i realise its a stereotype) anymore... that makes me happy :eek:
yes they can. except they're rich foreigners, not rich aussies.

lionking1191

HSC
Enobarbus said:
yes they can. except they're rich foreigners, not rich aussies.
true.. but most of them won't be competing with locals for jobs.. well in courses like med anyway.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Iruka said:
Universities are getting transitional funding to ameliorate the loss of fee paying places. Whether UNSW will take fewer students is anybody's guess, but if they do, it does show the irony of the policy.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
neo o said:
Universities are getting transitional funding to ameliorate the loss of fee paying places. Whether UNSW will take fewer students is anybody's guess, but if they do, it does show the irony of the policy.
But why is funding needed if it's true that domestic fee-paying places are just being transferred to international fee-paying places? Are the Uni's being reimbursed by the Gov't and then proceeding to cut spots because they're getting the money anyway?

spence

HSC
If anything I'd say cutting DFEE would push cutoffs up, as the only real difference (as far as I can tell) is that some people who get in between USyd and UNSW cutoffs no longer have the option to DFEE at Sydney. Although this wouldn't make much difference, I think law at UTS, Mac, etc. would be more effected

VanDAmme

HSC
N/A
bell531 said:
But why is funding needed if it's true that domestic fee-paying places are just being transferred to international fee-paying places? Are the Uni's being reimbursed by the Gov't and then proceeding to cut spots because they're getting the money anyway?
david bell likes men.

kidding lad.

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
bell531 said:
because thats a load of shit. They're not being "transferred" to internationial free-paying places.

Whats happening is, No more DFEE = more:

a) International places
b) CSP places
c) Transfer-ee places

Do basically, yes more places will be opened. Whether or not that affects cut-offs because of other theories people have remains to be seen. I did email UNSW admissions about transferring, and was told they expected more transferee places as a result of DFEE being cut.

Good luck everybody with 99.25!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)