UAC preferences (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Should I have my preferences going from lowest - highest, or highest - lowest? I want/need to get as many offers as I can (obviously).

NT-social

HSC
ypu put the ones you really want to get into first and the ones you have a chance getting into

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
my careers advisor said dont put them in UAI order, put them in the order that u really want, so even though a course has a lower UAI but thats the one you want to do above all put it down bcoz if you have them in UAI order they give u the first one that u are eligable for, so say you get 80, you'd get your first preference and not be offered any otheres even though you might have prefered your second or third :)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Ah okay.

I definately won't get 80, nor 78 - but I put in a principal's recommendation for those preferences.

I'll probably get about a 60-65 UAI, + 5 points for the Regional Bonus Scheme (I think all the uni's I've applied to use this scheme).

Edit: I like my 8th preference the most, but I don't want to restrict myself just to that (by putting it as first preference - there's no UAI for it). So I put it at the bottom. Will that work?

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
you're only going to get 1 offer, unless you applied for vtac, qtac, etc.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Ah okay.

I definately won't get 80, nor 78 - but I put in a principal's recommendation for those preferences.

I'll probably get about a 60-65 UAI, + 5 points for the Regional Bonus Scheme (I think all the uni's I've applied to use this scheme).

Edit: I like my 8th preference the most, but I don't want to restrict myself just to that (by putting it as first preference - there's no UAI for it). So I put it at the bottom. Will that work?
I dont know how it works for courses with no UAI , but I know you wont get that 8th preference unles you miss out on the other 7 (which I highly doubt) I think u might want to put it 1st or somewhere at the begining, u'd be better off leaving them as they are now (u can change them later) and ask your careers advisor what happens with courses with no previous cut off?

billbro

HSC
N/A
To my knowledge you will only receive one CSP and/or DFEE offer. Basically this means you should be putting your most preferred course first because if you are eligible for another course before it, you will only receive and offer for that course. Additionally your 8th preference of B Ed (Primary) @ SCU Coffs Harbour being your favourite should probably be your first preference because the lack of a cut off is due to it being never offered before, this doesn't mean it gets any special treatment but is affected by supply and demand like any other course. So next year there would be a cut-off for it but this year you won’t know where this course will land but is would logically be in the vicinity of your other courses.

speed2

HSC
melsc said:
my careers advisor said dont put them in UAI order, put them in the order that u really want, so even though a course has a lower UAI but thats the one you want to do above all put it down bcoz if you have them in UAI order they give u the first one that u are eligable for, so say you get 80, you'd get your first preference and not be offered any otheres even though you might have prefered your second or third :)
whats the point of putting the 80UAI course below a say 75UAI or whatever. wont you get the 75UAI course offered to you even if your uai is higher than 80??

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
well then dont put it in or have it there incase you change your mind later, but the point is that wat if she put the 80 1st and the 70 2nd then got 80, she would be offered a place for the 80 course and miss out on the one she trully wanted, not everyone wants the course with the highest UAI for example my preferences are:
1. Social Science(Criminology)/LLB - UWS (Parra)90
2. Social Science(Criminology)/LLB - UWS(Campbelltown)90
3. LLB - UTS 97
4. Social Science(Criminology) - UWS 65

Now for me 97 will prob b too high and I'd prefer the others, however I put UTS on my list bcoz I am considering it and also its one of those course you must put down before a certain date, so its there incase I want it...but I'd much prefer the one thats at UWS

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
i have two that got a 2005 cutoff of 75, say they get the same, and i get the uai required, do i get to choose between the two ?

muhammad 1

HSC
No, you get an offer for the first one that appeared on your preferences

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
muhammad 1 said:
No, you get an offer for the first one that appeared on your preferences
hmmm, can i change prefernces ? even after the due date ? or will that incure late fees?

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
you can change them anytime until early Jan, you can even change them aftr u get ur uai
my friend told me that some courses need to be done by 30th, is this true ?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yes, I believe so. Things with interviews, like music or visual art.

Peartie

HSC
yes, some do have early closing dates not just those type but there are others the best thing is 2 look at the UAC guide...shouldve done that already anyway...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Anthrax said:
my friend told me that some courses need to be done by 30th, is this true ?
go to each uni's first page and there should be a list, it should also be meantioned on the courses page as well for example when I looked at UTS B Laws need to be in by then

billbro

HSC
N/A
Yes some courses should have an earlier cut-off but you will have to find out which ones they are. Also some people may chose to place a course with a previously higher cut-off lower in their preferences because the cut-offs do vary year to year albiet generally not substantially.

ells_ellie

HSC
I'm really worried. When i was doing my uni preferences i didn't know what to put down. Like i know what i really want to do in uni. But the question is whether i'm going to get into any university course at all. I honestly don't think i'm going to do well in the hsc. Like all the good university courses have a UAI of 80+
It's hard getting that. People think it's really easy to get a high UAI but it really isn't, all these factors come in like your rank within your class, your school rank and the scaling of your subjects. Damn this sucks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)