• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UAC preferences? (1 Viewer)

reemz

HSC
UAC prefernces are du next month and i am so confused about what i have to do. i want to do secondary teaching, i want to teach history and social science subjects but i hear that there is an excess of HSIE teachers. i was thinking of doing maths as a minor but, i heard that you have to do 4 unit maths to teach any maths. some people have told me to do a bachlor of arts but others tell me its boring. im so confused! can i please get help?

also what has happened with UWS teaching coarses?, and is there such thing as a teaching collage?

p.s. my subjects are 2unit maths, advanced english, economics, modern history, geography, extn history

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You only need to register and put a preference down at the end of September. For the main round you can change and add preferences until early January.

reemz

HSC
well i want to get get in the 1st round so i dont have to worry, which uni is the best for teachng?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
reemz said:
well i want to get get in the 1st round so i dont have to worry
If you've read the UAC guide you would have realised that for you, the main round is the first round you can get an offer. Earlier rounds are usually for those who defered last year or international students.

specialjenny

HSC
I am so confused of what to put down too. Especially that I know NO idea how much the UAI will rise this year. So I don't want to put down all these preferences thinking I will get in at least one and not get into any. :S

mishka

HSC
N/A
reemz said:
UAC prefernces are du next month and i am so confused about what i have to do. i want to do secondary teaching, i want to teach history and social science subjects but i hear that there is an excess of HSIE teachers. i was thinking of doing maths as a minor but, i heard that you have to do 4 unit maths to teach any maths. some people have told me to do a bachlor of arts but others tell me its boring. im so confused! can i please get help?

also what has happened with UWS teaching coarses?, and is there such thing as a teaching collage?

p.s. my subjects are 2unit maths, advanced english, economics, modern history, geography, extn history
First of all, where did you hear that there was an excess of HSIE teachers? Was the source reliable?

A Bachelor of Arts is an option for you if you do not get the required UAI for your first preference. Then you can do a post-graduate degree after that to get the teaching qualification. A Bachelor of Arts is not boring... there is usually a wide range of subjects to choose from!

UWS' teaching courses (see this website under teaching/education) are post-graduate, so you have to do an undergraduate degree first (for example, a BA or a Bachelor of Social Science).

There is no such thing as a Teachers' College anymore. All education courses to qualify you to teach are through universities.

USyd
UoW
UNSW
UTS
ACU
UNCLE (near bottom of table)
MAQ

Hope that gives you an idea anyway.
But I definitely recommend you use all 9 preferences and have Arts courses down towards the bottom just in case you don't get into a combined education course. You can always do the undergraduate degree first, then go for a Diploma of Education at the end :)

reemz

HSC
specialjenny said:
I am so confused of what to put down too. Especially that I know NO idea how much the UAI will rise this year. So I don't want to put down all these preferences thinking I will get in at least one and not get into any. :S

i know how you feel....

which uni is the best for teaching?

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
if you want to get into the catholic school system, i heard ACU was suppose to be the way to go, although i had teachers who came from all different uni's and i went catholic school

but im pretty sure ACU as a good rep. for teaching regardless on whether you want catholic or public schools

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah, so would i, but I'm so totally biased it's not funny :p

ACU has a great reputation for its education courses and you can do a theology strand (if you want, you don't have to) that qualifies you to teach in the Catholic school system.

There also seems to be a greater range of subjects to go with the B Teach (Maths, Design & Tech, Humanities, etc.) :)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
mishka said:
yeah, so would i, but I'm so totally biased it's not funny :p

ACU has a great reputation for its education courses and you can do a theology strand (if you want, you don't have to) that qualifies you to teach in the Catholic school system.

There also seems to be a greater range of subjects to go with the B Teach (Maths, Design & Tech, Humanities, etc.) :)
i cant believe you hadnt already suggested ACU. had to wait for a MQ student to do! lol

mishka

HSC
N/A
well i thought i'd provide the details for all the unis (for a wide range of options) and then go for the advertising tactic :p :D

but for reemz, you have to consider what is best for you. Not only uni-wise, but travel, UAI, course structure, duration, etc. etc.

A good thing to do is to check out a few of the unis' open days. ACU Strathfield campus is open on 10th September. You'll find a stack of information there and you can even talk to people from the faculties. :) (ok, i got another plug in!!)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
mishka said:
ACU Strathfield campus is open on 10th September. You'll find a stack of information there and you can even talk to people from the faculties. :) (ok, i got another plug in!!)
Its not hard to get to either, you catch a train to Stratty station *u can get a train to Strathfield from almost anywhere and they are frequent* and either walk, you just walk right to the very end of albert rd or if ur lazy take the 407 from Strathfield station...I should know my skool is in the same street :)

*hint* its always hard to park in albert rd*

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Park on Barker road or one of the side streets off it.. if you dont get parking in the parking lot there.
ACU is great for teaching. In secondary teaching you do not need to do religion to teach in a catholic school, but for primary teaching unless you do postgrad studies at ACU directly or through the CEO, you cannot teach in a Catholic school full time (I think you can casually though). I have a number of friends doing secondary teaching.. mainly in technology but a couple in HSIE as well.
At first I was reluctant to go to ACU because I wanted the full joys of going to a big UNI with a great social scene.. but in getting into ACU, because it is so small you really get to know people and develop some great friendships. It is also great because you can drive everyday and there is no cost for parking (plenty on the street but not much in the carpark), and it takes like 5 minutes to get from one side of the campus to the other (even less than that).
Go to the open days and find out as much information as you can, I guess it does depend on what you are looking for in a uni.

reemz

HSC
me going to ACU isnt an option...... even though it sounds good... but 4 my UAC perferences im planning on putting sydney bachlor of teaching, nsw bachlor of teaching, western bachlor of arts- coz im doing the ret test... there the unis which i have in mind- where maquaire? i heard there supposed to b really good..
wat else can i put 4 my perferences- a prson was advising me not to do a BA coz its boring but dont i have to do that anyways for teaching? man im so confused!

reemz

HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
do u serz have to pay for an apply my the internet application? o dear...

huh? i thought only if its after the 30th of sept u have to pay.... im pretty sure b4 that u dont have 2 pay 4 it ova the net b4 that date...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)