Twin Internet Suicide Pact (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21602864-2702,00.html
ONE of two teenage girls found hanged in bushland east of Melbourne yesterday had written on her website: "Let Steph n me b free."
Police believe the girl, Jodie Gater, and her friend Stephanie Gestier, both 16, died in a suicide pact after they left their homes about 9.30am on April 15, ostensibly to go shopping.

A resident of Ferntree Gully made the grisly discovery of the two dead girls hanging from a tree yesterday afternoon. Their bodies were suspended from the one branch by the same piece of rope with two nooses tied in it. The bodies were low to the ground and facing each other.

Sergeant Andrew Herdman from Belgrave police said the man who found the girls at first thought he saw a "couple of people who were getting quite close and comfortable. On second glance about half an hour later, he realised they were still in the same spot, went to investigate, and located two females," Sergeant Herdman said.

The deaths are a tragic end to an excruciating week for the families of the two girls, who had pleaded for public assistance to find them. They initially believed the girls might have run away with people they had met over the internet, but late yesterday were notified of the deaths.

The families made no comment last night, but last Wednesday Jodie's father, Robert Gater, expressed concern about his daughter's use of internet chat sites. "With the use of the internet, she keeps using MSN Messenger and MySpace stuff ... it's hard to keep track of exactly what's spoken," Mr Gater said.

Those same MySpace sites last night offered tributes to the two girls as news spread that they had been found dead.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.

Counselling for troubled young people is available at:
Lifeline: 131 114
Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800
Suicide Prevention Crisis Line: (02) 9331 2000
Sad. Was just on the news.

Glorifying suicide and disturbed emotions? Or just two messed up girls.
IMO I think it sounds like the former.

Opinions?

sleepplease

HSC
mr_brightside said:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21602864-2702,00.html

Sad. Was just on the news.

Glorifying suicide and disturbed emotions? Or just two messed up girls.
IMO I think it sounds like the former.

Opinions?
Very very sad.

Of course suicide in itself can be a statement, but to hang yourself in a national park is definitely exhibitionist. This does not lighten the tragedy however, but it does suggest something seriously disturbed within the two girls. I do not think they meant to "glorify" suicide, it wasnt an intentional act to make themselves into matyrs or heros. To me, it sounds like two kids who were not very stable, definitely having a hard time, and decided that if they were not receiving the attention they needed in one area they would demand it in another. Perhaps not realising the true enormity of the ramifications of their actions.

HSC
i think it's fucking sick.

firstly, suicide is selfish enough, and secondly .. someone has to find the two dead girls hanging from effing trees, way to probably mess up the head of whoever finds them for life.

and thirdly .. i'm guessing at least one of their friends knew about it, considering the rest in peace message that was posted up on myspace the day before they even killed themselves. if you know your friends are going to kill themselves, FUCKING TELL SOMEONE?!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Oi no shens or lulz.

serious.

and can this not turn into a "OMG SUICIDE PEOPLE R SO SELFISH"

HSC
the thing is that the girls probably didn't have a real concept of what they did .. like yeah, what you said, glorifying suicide. they probably pictured people crying over them and saying nice things at their funeral etc etc, but .. when you're dead, you don't see any of that. that's the end.

there was a really big um, epidemic (probably not the right word) of this in russia a few years ago, like groups of friends jumping off their apartment building balconies and shit, and that's an aspect that heaps of things i read were talking about. that they don't really understand what they're doing.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
The news said they were emo, I wonder if it had anything to do with it. (I doubt it though). I personally couldn't do that to myself, no matter how depressed I am (I don't get anywhere near the point of thinking about suicide though)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
All this crap about them being emo has really confused me.

Their myspaces are blaring with rap music. Steph's one is electronic music. I like how they slipped in Slipknot in SMH, who are also oh so emo.

Out of curiousity, I had a look at their friends' responses to the issue. I'm not sure whether its them not coming to terms with their deceased friends' secretive behaviour, or that the media are poorly analysing them. Their friends are really outraged at how they're portraying them as sadistic suicides that indulged in anything dark. Yes perhaps they said some "emo-ish" stuff, but nothing seems as out of the ordinary as what most kids go through at 14-16.

But perhaps maybe they did just go too far with all that stuff. I'm definately not denying that the two killed themselves together or that they might've been depressed. I don't particularly feel its a product of a teen subculture (even though they're into electro and rap) nor do I think it's fair for the media to paint them as that.

General other comments...

I'm not pleased with the aftermath, where parents are demanding the Howard government to restrict particular sites. That's purely and utterly up to the parents.

The parents' grief is heart wrenching to me though. The whole thing is sad.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'd hope that we can talk about the actual news rather than how selfish suicide is. I don't want it to be every other suicide thread that has been and locked in NCAP.

Please refer to the actual news article/events/particulars and minimise any comments about suicide in general.

rhcpfox1

HSC
I'm a school captain at Upwey High School, and the whole school, particularly the senior school, has been in a state of shock since we heard the news on Monday morning...although most of us had heard the previous night (amazing how quick bad news can spread)
The Year 11's are particularly devastated, and I think we're all finding it hard to grasp the enormity of what's just happened.
We never thought we'd lose two of our own.

Also just a note on the media's attention to their links with "emo"
Like a previous post said, Steph and Jodie had a wide range of musical influences, in Jodie's case mostly RnB and rap. I believe Steph was heavily 'goth' influenced, seen at free dress days in attire that was definitely not 'emo'.

A terrible tragedy that will linger in the school yard, my sympathies go out to the family and friends of Jodie and Steph, this is an unimaginably hard time for them and though the media may tire of this tragedy, the Seniors at Upwey High will never forget.

MuffinMan

HSC
Eh, I doubt the media know what emo is. I saw it in the news, they had a pic of a professor who was talking about the incident, and he was referencing from wikipedia

Chris.

HSC
i dont see why the hell they would do this. they dont seem to be in a bad position. they live in a developed country, had friends (well maybe didnt realize), one chick had a bf.

i think the worse thing in this incident is that sumbody knew they were going to do it and did nothing.

MuffinMan

HSC
The fact that they found someone to have suicide with suggests that they probably bowed in to some sort of peer pressure thing (or at least one of them did)

rhcpfox1

HSC
Chris. said:
i dont see why the hell they would do this. they dont seem to be in a bad position. they live in a developed country, had friends (well maybe didnt realize), one chick had a bf.

i think the worse thing in this incident is that sumbody knew they were going to do it and did nothing.

No one knew they were going to do it, the site that had "RIP Jodie and Steph" was their bands, so presumably they were the ones that accessed it before they went missing.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Also one thing not mentioned in that article was they were fans of the suicide girls website. When the media saw that on there myspace they pressumed the site was a suicide website without doing any basic reaserch into that website.

Concubine

Mew!
HSC
I don't think Today Tonight is the most reliable reference, given their "popular culture" expert was balding, mid-40s and using Wiki as his main source.

MuffinMan

HSC
Concubine said:
I don't think Today Tonight is the most reliable reference, given their "popular culture" expert was balding, mid-40s and using Wiki as his main source.
Yeah thats what I said.

HSC
rhcpfox1 said:
No one knew they were going to do it, the site that had "RIP Jodie and Steph" was their bands, so presumably they were the ones that accessed it before they went missing.
that's massively effing creepy actually .. writing your own death notice and then going and killing yourself

MuffinMan

HSC
katietheskatie said:
that's massively effing creepy actually .. writing your own death notice and then going and killing yourself
It's been done before. Whats scary is that one of them dragged their "friend" in to commit suicide with them. Like I mean, if you want to die, do it yourself? (instead of convincing someone else to die with you)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)