Tutoring in 1st year undergrad (1 Viewer)

MikeLloyd

HSC
Hi UNSW subforum,

It's likely that I will be attending UNSW next year. I'll most likely be taking commerce/AdvMath/Actl sci, although I am fairly concerned about the differences in work from Y12 to university.

I have a few questions:
1. Is it normal for students to get tutoring from higher year students in 1st year mathematics? I'd be looking for around 5 hours a week to help myself stay consistent and up to scratch (looking for 85+ WAM).
2. If there are tutors, what price would I be expected pay per hour?
3. Where are some possible places to look, or who are some notable tutors that I can seek out?

I'm interested in studying Quant Risk / Statistics in a dual degree with either commerce or Actl Sci.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why do you think you need tutoring for first year maths? (There are free help you can get from higher maths students as a first year already in UNSW), and it is not that bad if you actually do work consistently. It is relatively rare to pay for tutoring in university tutoring-and usually you will be looking at least $30/$40 upwards per hour (if not higher). If you need 5 hours of tutoring a week for maths to stay consistent-I think you might want to question whether you are suited to doing maths related subject in uni (because you shouldn't need anywhere that much-tutoring is supposed to only be a guidance, 5 hours is almost like doing your homework by your side).

(Might be a different story if you do actuarial studies, but then overall-independent learning will be really critical to excel in uni in general.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi UNSW subforum,

It's likely that I will be attending UNSW next year. I'll most likely be taking commerce/AdvMath/Actl sci, although I am fairly concerned about the differences in work from Y12 to university.

I have a few questions:
1. Is it normal for students to get tutoring from higher year students in 1st year mathematics? I'd be looking for around 5 hours a week to help myself stay consistent and up to scratch (looking for 85+ WAM).
2. If there are tutors, what price would I be expected pay per hour?
3. Where are some possible places to look, or who are some notable tutors that I can seek out?

I'm interested in studying Quant Risk / Statistics in a dual degree with either commerce or Actl Sci.
yeah i charge 50/hr

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's pretty normal! The price will vary! In first year, I had a postgrad student teaching me finance at $50/h (back in 2013). My lecturer was kind enough to help me email the finance students in higher years and that's how they contacted me. I then chose my favourite one from like 5 research/postgrad students. You can definitely ask your lecturer and tutor for more help on this or go to the free consultation hours or peer mentoring classes for first year undergrad.
Hope that helps!!

MikeLloyd

HSC
Why do you think you need tutoring for first year maths? (There are free help you can get from higher maths students as a first year already in UNSW), and it is not that bad if you actually do work consistently.
My current school (from ACT) has a 100% independent learning math system. I've realized that while I'm doing very well - it would be much preferable if I had someone to talk problems out with. The general consensus in my school is that students learn themselves with textbooks and a 1h lecture each week, which I have found led me to segmenting my work inconsistently to meet my external obligations.

I'm sure many students can sympathize with cramming :/

It is relatively rare to pay for tutoring in university tutoring-and usually you will be looking at least $30/$40 upwards per hour (if not higher). If you need 5 hours of tutoring a week for maths to stay consistent-I think you might want to question whether you are suited to doing maths related subject in uni (because you shouldn't need anywhere that much-tutoring is supposed to only be a guidance, 5 hours is almost like doing your homework by your side).
Generally I am able to work on my math by myself, but my primary concern is getting a high WAM. I'm in a situation where it's critical to get at least an 85 WAM, and if someone else is already an expert on the material, it greatly speeds up the learning process. Plus, I saved up a lot of money specifically for tutoring in my first year, and from what I have seen of AdvMath / Actl sci, having a safety net isn't a bad idea.

It's less than I can't do the work, and more that I don't want to risk doing badly.

MikeLloyd

HSC
I think it's pretty normal! The price will vary! In first year, I had a postgrad student teaching me finance at $50/h (back in 2013). My lecturer was kind enough to help me email the finance students in higher years and that's how they contacted me. I then chose my favourite one from like 5 research/postgrad students. You can definitely ask your lecturer and tutor for more help on this or go to the free consultation hours or peer mentoring classes for first year undergrad.
Hope that helps!!
Ah, answered it all directly, maybe I'm jumping ahead before admission. Thanks though!

yeah i charge 50/hr
Will PM.

leehuan

HSC
My current school (from ACT) has a 100% independent learning math system. I've realized that while I'm doing very well - it would be much preferable if I had someone to talk problems out with. The general consensus in my school is that students learn themselves with textbooks and a 1h lecture each week, which I have found led me to segmenting my work inconsistently to meet my external obligations.

I'm sure many students can sympathize with cramming :/

Generally I am able to work on my math by myself, but my primary concern is getting a high WAM. I'm in a situation where it's critical to get at least an 85 WAM, and if someone else is already an expert on the material, it greatly speeds up the learning process. Plus, I saved up a lot of money specifically for tutoring in my first year, and from what I have seen of AdvMath / Actl sci, having a safety net isn't a bad idea.

It's less than I can't do the work, and more that I don't want to risk doing badly.
Both my peer mentor and myself are on 85+ WAMs without any of this first year tutoring, doing the same degree.

Whilst I do accredit to help to many people (including about three or so BoS users), I've never found a need to actually pay someone to help me in first year.

MikeLloyd

HSC
Both my peer mentor and myself are on 85+ WAMs without any of this first year tutoring, doing the same degree.

Whilst I do accredit to help to many people (including about three or so BoS users), I've never found a need to actually pay someone to help me in first year.
Interesting - do you deduce your WAM to consistent study alone? I'm finding independent learning for 4U and 3U math to be much slower without having third parties to check my work with. Especially with notation and proofs.

I'm interested in paying for tutors, because it ensures the learning situation is serious and both parties are committed. I am paying money to learn, and wont waste time or have any reason to fall behind. The tutor is being paid to help me get through work, and has no reason to avoid helping me for his/her own benefit.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Interesting - do you deduce your WAM to consistent study alone? I'm finding independent learning for 4U and 3U math to be much slower without having third parties to check my work with. Especially with notation and proofs.

I'm interested in paying for tutors, because it ensures the learning situation is serious and both parties are committed. I am paying money to learn, and wont waste time or have any reason to fall behind. The tutor is being paid to help me get through work, and has no reason to avoid helping me for his/her own benefit.
First year math in my opinion has been okay so far. It does help to understand concepts by asking people in higher years or people with more knowledge (crediting this to InteGrand), but I don't think a tutor is quite necessary (especially if you already have a strong foundation in previous levels of Math).
But if you still want a tutor, it won't be a bad choice. Not sure where to find paid tutors to help with Undergraduate Maths though (maybe there's a section on BoS).

leehuan

HSC

The only third parties I needed to check my work with for HSC maths were:

a) back of the book answers
b) my classmates
c) my peers

Yep, the whole point of tutoring is that (assuming no party is irresponsible) it forces their hand to get things done right. Which probably isn't a bad idea; probably has a nice array of benefits.

Which is a bit trickier at uni because other uni students have their own work to do as well to handle yours, but given enough dedication it won't fail. It's something I would easily do if I was motivated to.

But succeeding as a high aimer is not based off being taught how to do things in the long run. You need it to get a good foundation, but most of the work ultimately must come from yourself. That is the nature of uni life.

First year math in my opinion has been okay so far. It does help to understand concepts by asking people in higher years or people with more knowledge (crediting this to InteGrand), but I don't think a tutor is quite necessary (especially if you already have a strong foundation in previous levels of Math).
But if you still want a tutor, it won't be a bad choice. Not sure where to find paid tutors to help with Undergraduate Maths though (maybe there's a section on BoS).
:)

MikeLloyd

HSC
The only third parties I needed to check my work with for HSC maths were:

a) back of the book answers
b) my classmates
c) my peers
Most of my classmates/peers don't speak english. Those that do are in competition (bell curve scaling) and wouldn't help other students in the scaling group. :/

As I take an equivalent to 3U/4U, there is no defined curriculum and response - we're just provided with lecture material and textbooks. You can never be absolutely sure what working out is correct. We have weekly assignments where the teacher marks our work, that's the most feedback I have (for math anyway).

But succeeding as a high aimer is not based off being taught how to do things in the long run. You need it to get a good foundation, but most of the work ultimately must come from yourself. That is the nature of uni life.
The plan is to stop tutoring after 1st year once I have a good grip of how the UNSW syllabus is structured, and the kind of studying necessary. I agree however. Again, it's just to make sure that when I begin I have a strong safety net so I don't fall flat on my face immediately after starting uni.

integral95

HSC
Here's what could happen

1st year math: (assuming you did well in 4U math) a reasonable breeze.
2nd year : DEATH IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR GAME TOGETHER.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Here's what could happen

1st year math: (assuming you did well in 4U math) a reasonable breeze.
2nd year : DEATH IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR GAME TOGETHER.
I did well in 4U math but 1st year math wasn't a reasonable breeze.
I agree with your 2nd year math opinion. I've seen guys who smashed HSC and 1st year math get hammered by 2nd year math.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)