• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TUTOR KIDDIES (1 Viewer)

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Ruin our education system by pumping out drones. Discuss?

Death to Critical Thinking!

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
It depends.

If you're going to tutoring because you're failing a subject (I mean actually failing, not "omfg i only got 95%, i'm going to kill myself!!" failing) or even just struggling, I think there's nothing wrong with being tutored. For example, the girl I tutor is reasonably smart but takes time to learn things. Before I started tutoring her she was failing maths because the teacher was teaching too fast for her and she didn't have time to actually absorb the information. Now that I tutor her she's doing much better (2nd in the class) because she can easily ask me questions and I have the time to go through them thoroughly with her.

Now, I absolutely abhor the people that go to "tutoring" (I prefer to think of it as hsc coaching, because really, that's what it is) where they get taught to regurgitate information onto a page like mindless drones and don't learn anything at all. Then, when they inevitably get good marks (after devoting their entire lives to studying) and get into hard courses in uni, they're out of their depth because suddenly they have to actually think for themselves. Not only does this fuck the them over, but it also fucks over the people who mightn't have got the same high marks, but are actually smarter than these so called "tutor kiddies", because they can't get into the course they want.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ruin our education system by pumping out drones. Discuss?

Death to Critical Thinking!
Yes, and these drones are caught out at uni when no one's there to hold their hand through it all.

ismeta

HSC
I get intimidated by people at my school who are tutored without good reason. (note - > 80% get tutoring for something, I'd say - and most of them don't even need it)

I still do well and get good ranks, but it's caused me many a nervous breakdown by looking at how many people will have done that extra work, and thus have a perceived advantage...it's good in that it pressures me to do more work, but it's still not great for my nerves.

Examine

same
HSC
It depends.

If you're going to tutoring because you're failing a subject (I mean actually failing, not "omfg i only got 95%, i'm going to kill myself!!" failing) or even just struggling, I think there's nothing wrong with being tutored. For example, the girl I tutor is reasonably smart but takes time to learn things. Before I started tutoring her she was failing maths because the teacher was teaching too fast for her and she didn't have time to actually absorb the information. Now that I tutor her she's doing much better (2nd in the class) because she can easily ask me questions and I have the time to go through them thoroughly with her.

Now, I absolutely abhor the people that go to "tutoring" (I prefer to think of it as hsc coaching, because really, that's what it is) where they get taught to regurgitate information onto a page like mindless drones and don't learn anything at all. Then, when they inevitably get good marks (after devoting their entire lives to studying) and get into hard courses in uni, they're out of their depth because suddenly they have to actually think for themselves. Not only does this fuck the them over, but it also fucks over the people who mightn't have got the same high marks, but are actually smarter than these so called "tutor kiddies", because they can't get into the course they want.
You say that

though have you actually done a university course firsthand to validate that information, or even attend a fair amount of tutoring classes/private tutors to generalise all of them do this?

Last edited:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I'm sorry, but critical thinking trumps rote learning any day in my opinion.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
are you all retarded

people go to tutoring to be taught/learn about their subjects in depth beyond the 'rote learning' realm

they go to tutoring because they don't understand the content but want to

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
are you all retarded

people go to tutoring to be taught/learn about their subjects in depth beyond the 'rote learning' realm

As a matter of curiosity: schools are staffed by qualified teachers. Isn't their teaching adequate? If not in what aspects? Bear in mind most tutors here are not qualified teachers; indeed most are recent HSC graduates. Why should they be better? Seems like an irony to me.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
are you all retarded

+1, My tutor was great at helping me understand the concepts of mathematics, It wasnt just memorising a formula

I honestly thought I would struggle with university because people said I only did well in the HSC because I paid for a tutor but so far uni is easy peasy =)

eat_well

HSC
It depends.

I actually get quite scared about this. I've been tutoring for quite a while and I keep hearing about people that rely on their tutors to do everything. I'm scared I'm one of them because you can't really tell if you can think for yourself. I am doing alright in the subjects I don't go tutoring for so hopefully I'm not one of those people :S. It's a scary thought.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
As a matter of curiosity: schools are staffed by qualified teachers. Isn't their teaching adequate? If not in what aspects? Bear in mind most tutors here are not qualified teachers; indeed most are recent HSC graduates. Why should they be better? Seems like an irony to me.
It is because most high school graduates with a Band 6 in any subject are smarter than teachers. I know one of my teachers scored 100 UAI but the rest of them probably scored a far worse UAI

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It is because most high school graduates with a Band 6 in any subject are smarter than teachers. I know one of my teachers scored 100 UAI but the rest of them probably scored a far worse UAI
Very impressive. Must be teaching maths or physics. Which school?

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
look drongoski
it is absolutely foolish to say that every teacher contains the vivacity or personality traits needed or expected by a qualified teacher.
for example I personally had a teacher that would not mark our essays for english because she was busy planning her wedding. was it unfair to hire a tutor to fulfill my needs as a student just because my ~qualified teacher~ lacked any sort of commitment to her work? should i suffer as a student because of my teacher's personality traits?
I had another teacher who outright encouraged rote learning our essays and another encouraging us to rote learn our outcomes for a science subject

the hsc is defined by outcomes
all a student needs is a person, be it tutor or teacher, that understands these outcomes and has the vivacity/personality/time to explain it to their student in a way that suits their needs
there is no irony here drongoski
but i'm sure you feel differently

Very impressive. Must be teaching maths or physics. Which school?
why would you assume that

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Agreed with effy, some people need a tutor because their teachers aren't up to standard or in some cases, don't even teach at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)