• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

trouble choosin subjects next year (1 Viewer)

philzy

HSC
hello members of BOS,
nxt year i hav to choose my hsc subjects and i hav a dilemma in which ones to choose.

here is my shortlist:

english advanced
maths 2 unit
legal studies
economics
business studies
modern history
history extention

these are the ones i want to do, which ones do u rekon will help me get the highest uai i can get

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Depends entirely on how much effort you put in yourself and how others in your class go in these subjects (assessment wise)

Is this for year 11 or 12 btw?
History Extension isnt offered till Year 12....

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Economics and business studies have a slight overlap, and I would consider doing one instead of the other. Apart from that, it's down to your personal preference. What do you want to do? To get the highest UAI, you need to be doing subjects that you like. If you like the subject, you'll work harder, and get better results. Scaling, capping, all of that means nothing if you do well enough in the exam and your assessments. So pick what you want to do. That's the path to the best UAI.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you're really unsure, just keep all 13 units and see how you go first term.

philzy

HSC
insert-username said:
Economics and business studies have a slight overlap, and I would consider doing one instead of the other. Apart from that, it's down to your personal preference. What do you want to do? To get the highest UAI, you need to be doing subjects that you like. If you like the subject, you'll work harder, and get better results. Scaling, capping, all of that means nothing if you do well enough in the exam and your assessments. So pick what you want to do. That's the path to the best UAI.

I_F
wat does this overlap mean

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It means they are very similar in small parts of each, as they are both branches of social science.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I do both economics and business studies. They do overlap a little but I find that good...

HSC
N/A
Often overlaps are good - it means that having two learn two separate things, you can learn the one thing and then have spare time to think about it a bit more and compare/contrast their different uses in the differen subjects.

High UAI's come from good subject selections - doing what you like, and doing things that you are actually GOOD in. Doing any extension subject on the basis of "scaling will save me" is totally stupid (just biting it in the bud now)- a score of 80 in your regular core subject is far better than 13% in an extension. These are real-life examples, by the way.

But other than that - why not start with them all and cull down as you see fit? OR talk to past students and get a feel for what you're best suited to.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Another example is chemistry, physics and biology, which all overlap each other as branches of science.

klaw

HSC
Riviet said:
Another example is chemistry, physics and biology, which all overlap each other as branches of science.
Chemistry, physics and biology means triple the confusion!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
philzy said:
hello members of BOS,
nxt year i hav to choose my hsc subjects and i hav a dilemma in which ones to choose.

here is my shortlist:

english advanced
maths 2 unit
legal studies
economics
business studies
modern history
history extention

these are the ones i want to do, which ones do u rekon will help me get the highest uai i can get
There is no perfect formula for a high UAI but you do need to find the right combination of subjects for you. No one can tell you what will egt a good UAI but I can tell you if you take the subjects that you ENJOY and are good at...disregard scalling, just go with your talents and interests...any combination of subjects can get you a high UAI!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i believe you should drop eco as i believe it would be heaps boring unless you get a lively teacher. anyways seeing that you have an interest in history, i suggest that you pick up ancient. i made the mistake of not doing that haha ><*

manifestation

What?!
HSC
When you say 'which ones do u rekon will help me get the highest uai i can get', it really depends on how much effort you put in with every subject. Subjects that scale higher only bump your UAI up if you actually do well with them. Your subjects sound good, but all of these subjects do need alot of committment and you need to be up to date with everything.

english advanced - You need to make sure you do all the reading and essays etc otherwise you're gonna fall behind.
legal studies - this subject definately needs you to keep up with the current affairs and issues, you need to practice essay etc, and if you do well 85+ it will pull you up (that's if the rest of you're class year etc isn't crap)
*business studies - this subject was the one that pulled my UAI down even though I did reasonably well with my internals and my HSC mark was 79, and that screwed it up! But you can always do well in business studies and it may bump you up, if you get like 90's and over!!!!!

The UAI calculation etc all that, changes every year and depends on how your year goes etc etc, so the most that you can do is do your best and do subjects that you know you will be comfortable with and do well in. You always have the option to drop a subject since you have 13 units.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It is really up to yourself to decide what subjects are best for you. Pick the subjects that you are interested in most, as you are much more likely to do well in these than a subject that you dislike/hate. If the subjects that you like scale well, that's a bonus; if they don't scale so well, you can still achieve great results.

JuniorB

HSC
Subjects dont matter its the effort and marks you put in to them. pick subjects on the basis that you like the subject and that you can do well in them. also make sure that they are catergory A subjects which means that they count towards your UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)