Trialling at General Pants (1 Viewer)

Lennie

Soo... I've gotten through the interview with the Area Manager and have now scored a trial. It's 4 hours and the AM will also be there looking over my shoulder.

Has anyone been through a trial at General Pants or does anyone work there currently?

What are the do's and don'ts??

I have a VERY general idea already coming from retail, but I've noticed General Pants have a certain standard.

I would seriously appreciate any advice =)

G

Gavvvvvin

Dont forget to wear your pants halfway around your ass and have you hat on a goofy angle.

law_stud

HSC
N/A
hahaha

quote - have you hat on a goofy angle. -quote-

haha, I wanna job at GP or equivalent [or maybe not]

How did you get the trial?

Lennie

^
I just walked into the store with a REALLY dodgy one page resume and asked if there were positions available...

The interview with the AM was a bitch (hard questions- I advise anyone to look over a standard retail sales handbook & the GP website before going), but after scraping through it... they asked me to trial.

If anyone is thinking of applying, now would be the best time (Christmas and all). It would probably work in your favour if you wore their clothes (Play it up a bit) and adopted a super-happy/enthused/motivated attitude when applying and being interviewed :p

Lennie

natstar said:
What kinda questions were they?
Can't remember all of them. There were alot of personal questions (career goals, interests etc. etc.) and then mainly stuff like;

Why do you want to work here?
Why should we hire you above everyone else that has applied?
How do you fit the general pants image?
Whats your definition of good customer service?
What are the main things to remember when making a sale?
What do you do to make a customer feel comfortable?
How do you deal with difficult customers?
How do you approach a customer?
How would you sell an item to a customer?
What do you know about the brands?
What do you know about the company?
What kind of questions do you use to open a sale?
What do you think is the single most important thing about retail service?

There were many more, but those were the only ones that stood out. The questions were being fired so fast it's a little blurry.

It may not sound like alot, but trying to make up solid answers to those ones on the spot takes a bit of effort... Especially for someone without retail experience. I only got through it because I've had in-depth retail training before.

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
I would loooooovvvveee to work at General Pants!!!!! I think I'll go hand in my resume over the hols

only problem is that I haven't worked in retail before. the only job i've had is at Gloria Jeans cause i;ve been there for over two fricken years and i;m sick of it.

so i havent had any retail experience just barista and cafe stuff at glorias. so i dont know how i'd do at a general pants interview, but we do get the whole sales kinda thing drummed into us, like greeting customers, making them feel welcome, then you gotta try and selll stuff, whilst having confidence in the brand and knowing about it. suggestive selling, making them feel like they want/need it, if what they want isnt there then try to get them interested in something else.
how to deal with difficult customers etc..

anyone think i stand a chance here? oh plus i love all the brands and clothes they have there. the one who started this thread seems to know what she's on about with all that retail experience :)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
im in a similar position but with cue. i have a trial this week and ive never worked in retail before, a bit daunting

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
about city beach: the workers were wearing swimmers on the weekend...as in the female workers were walking around in bikinis. i think thats a little inappropriate.

on topic: rehearse some good answers. just be lively and happy

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
Can't remember all of them. There were alot of personal questions (career goals, interests etc. etc.) and then mainly stuff like;

Why do you want to work here?
Why should we hire you above everyone else that has applied?
How do you fit the general pants image?
Whats your definition of good customer service?
What are the main things to remember when making a sale?
What do you do to make a customer feel comfortable?
How do you deal with difficult customers?
How do you approach a customer?
How would you sell an item to a customer?
What do you know about the brands?
What do you know about the company?
What kind of questions do you use to open a sale?
What do you think is the single most important thing about retail service?

There were many more, but those were the only ones that stood out. The questions were being fired so fast it's a little blurry.

It may not sound like alot, but trying to make up solid answers to those ones on the spot takes a bit of effort... Especially for someone without retail experience. I only got through it because I've had in-depth retail training before.
Those are standard interview questions for most retail outlets I think you'll find, I even had them for my interviews and I work at target.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
before or after u get the job?

before: tell them u love people. you love talking and u understand how frustrating it can be walking into a shop and having NFI where anything is, so you wanna help them.

after u get the job: retail's a bitch. letting your frustration out in the staffroom, while throwing boxes of shoes around really helps.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
be polite, assist customers (ask them how they are a few minutes after they walk in or if they look at you), smile, make sure you don't stand around doing nothing.

do what you those annoying shop assistants do to you everytime you walk in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)