Travel and Concession questions (1 Viewer)

lolwot

HSC
Hey all,

I have got a few quick questions, they will sound a bit stupid cause I'm new to UNSW and generally transport in Sydney (lol).

1. Is the red circle thing with 2014 in the top right of our UNSW ID, proof of our eligibility of travel concession? (Like the red circle shown here http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/concessions/images/concessions_tertiary_student.jpg). Is this all that we need to prove that we are eligible when buying our tickets; so our UNSW ID is literally our Tertiary Concession Card?

2. How bad are the queues/lines for the buses from Central to UNSW (I think its 891) around 8:00am? How long is the wait usually? What about the buses in the afternoon from UNSW to Central (895)?

And I know on the first day it will probably be even more hectic so I'll try to factor that in :wink:

Thanks!

HSC
N/A
Yes, carry your student card at all times (Transport Officers may check) and may be required when purchasing tickets.

I'm predicting that 8am is not that bad but the afternoon is quite long at 4-6:30pm

D94

HSC
N/A
1. Is the red circle thing with 2014 in the top right of our UNSW ID, proof of our eligibility of travel concession? (Like the red circle shown here http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/concessions/images/concessions_tertiary_student.jpg). Is this all that we need to prove that we are eligible when buying our tickets; so our UNSW ID is literally our Tertiary Concession Card?
Yes, that is the concession and you must carry this when using a concession ticket. In later years, they will put a sticker on top of the 2014 concession.

2. How bad are the queues/lines for the buses from Central to UNSW (I think its 891) around 8:00am? How long is the wait usually? What about the buses in the afternoon from UNSW to Central (895)?
(Yes, 891) In the first few weeks, it's pretty bad, sometimes even at 8:00AM. Around 8AM to 10AM, prepare to wait 15-20 minutes, maybe even longer. After those early weeks, it is significantly better, from no waiting time to maybe 10 minutes.

In the afternoon, there's the 895 from Anzac Parade; 891 and 892 from High Street. There are other buses such as M50 from High Street; 393, 395 from Anzac Parade which take a little longer since they are for the general public and make more stops.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
if you need a new sticker on your card for 2014 do you need to fill in the form again or do you just ask for a new sticker?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
if you need a new sticker on your card for 2014 do you need to fill in the form again or do you just ask for a new sticker?
All new students get the concession stamp without filling in a form. They ask to fill in the form later.

Just go to FM assist and they will put on the sticker. If they need you to fill in another form then they will give it to you to fill in before you get your Student ID back. It takes literally 5 minutes and also its all information you should have memorised (you won't need forms).

They'll ask for ID (such as licence).

D94

HSC
N/A
You will have to fill out a form, even for non-commencing students. You don't need to present other ID; just ask them to update your concession, they will ask you to fill out a form, and at the same time, they will put the 2014 sticker on your card. That's it.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
i'm a bit confused by your answer, i'm not a new student :S and when i was i had to fill in a form to apply for concession. anyway i can figure it out on monday i guess, im just assuming the lines will be long, or is there a separate line for just getting the sticker?

edit: whoops the above was directed at anomalous, thanks d94 :)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
If I do not own a concession card and my friend buys me a concession mymulti2 ticket, can I get into a lot of trouble?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You will have to fill out a form, even for non-commencing students.
Given by this, will this give me the ability to continually renew the sticker even though when I have finished uni study?

If I do not own a concession card and my friend buys me a concession mymulti2 ticket, can I get into a lot of trouble?
If you get caught its an on the spot $200 fine.

And by getting caught, it includes getting transit officers or police officers checking your ticket and concession.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Assuming you are 'using' that ticket to travel:

Yes (well, you will get a fine if caught). The fact that your friend bought you a concession ticket is irrelevant. Anyone can purchase a concession ticket, even if they don't have a concession card. You can be in possession of concession tickets and not have a concession card. But if you travel using a concession ticket without carrying a concession card, that's when you have committed an offence (i.e. you are technically fare evading).

D94

HSC
N/A
Given by this, will this give me the ability to continually renew the sticker even though when I have finished uni study?
No, because the stickers will have the new year on it, and they do something on their computer which is almost certainly to check whether you are still a uni student.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC

If you get caught its an on the spot $200 fine.

And by getting caught, it includes getting transit officers or police officers checking your ticket and concession.

Yes (well, you will get a fine if caught). The fact that your friend bought you a concession ticket is irrelevant. Anyone can purchase a concession ticket, even if they don't have a concession card. You can be in possession of concession tickets and not have a concession card. But if you travel using a concession ticket without carrying a concession card, that's when you have committed an offence (i.e. you are technically fare evading).
Thanks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No, because the stickers will have the new year on it, and they do something on their computer which is almost certainly to check whether you are still a uni student.
Oh yeah forgot about that step.

Makes sense.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

i see students buy the pensioner $2.50 tickets and use them for the day lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)