Transferring to UNSW, does this mean I'll be behind a year? (1 Viewer)

CaptainPrice

HSC
If I stay at UTS for a year (BSc in IT), and transfer to UNSW Compsci does this mean I start at year #2 of compsci or #1?

Provided that the credits aren't transferred, but I already know the topics? UNSW has comp1917 and comp1927 on openlearning, I plan to do them.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If you aren't given credit, it is likely you will have to repeat some subjects.
Bumping for SR.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
You will be given credit for stuff you have done.

Sometimes those courses aren't on open learning, but the older versions.

Join the ~ computer science master race ~

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not too sure about the credits for COMP1917 and 1927 without any official accreditation - so it's up to the school if they decide to give you credit or not.

Most definitely you will have to do first year maths which is part of the first year program of CompSci. They are:

MATH1131 - Mathematics 1A (offered in S1, S2)
MATH1231 - Mathematics 1B (offered in S2, Summer)
MATH1081 - Discrete Mathematics (offered in S1, S2)

So overall if you do get credit, consider yourself as 1st and 2nd year - otherwise, you will still be in 1st when you commence CompSci at UNSW if you transfer from UTS.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm not too sure about the credits for COMP1917 and 1927 with any official accreditation - so it's up to the school if they decide to give you credit or not.

Most definitely you will have to do first year maths which is part of the first year program of CompSci. They are:

MATH1131 - Mathematics 1A (offered in S1, S2)

MATH1231 - Mathematics 1B (offered in S2, Summer)

So overall if you do get credit, consider yourself as 1st and 2nd year - otherwise, you will still be in 1st when you commence CompSci at UNSW if you transfer from UTS.
*Shudder*

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Can confirm you get zero accreditation for just doing the open learning courses

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I'm not too sure about the credits for COMP1917 and 1927 with any official accreditation - so it's up to the school if they decide to give you credit or not.

MATH1141 - Higher Mathematics 1A (offered in S1, S2)
MATH1241 - Higher Mathematics 1B (offered in S2, Summer)

ftfy ;)

D94

HSC
N/A
Whether you start at first year or second year is only dependent on the courses you've 'completed' at UNSW, whether by direct study at UNSW or by credit transfer from another university.

If you cannot obtain credit transfer, then you haven't completed the necessary courses at UNSW. You must also present a transcript from UTS to prove you've done certain courses in order to obtain any credit transfer. An email stating you've done the Open Learning courses is not official nor will it be accredited.

Also, not all courses are transferable even if you think there is considerable overlap. You will need to seek clarification from UNSW if you intend on enrolling there to see which courses you will need to enroll in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)