Transfering to Engineering (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I got an ATAR of 82.55, which I'm not over the moon about but not mad about.

I want to do aerospace engineering at either UNSW or USYD which both are over 90.

Now I've learnt that i could just do a B Science, made the cut-off, at either uni and I'd get exemption of 5 subjects and transfer if i can get 65+ with no fails.

Would anyone also recommend this and how difficult would it be to achieve a 65+ or does anything have something else in mind?

D94

HSC
N/A
If at UNSW, just enrol into B Science, then do the courses for the Engineering plan. Transfer with a 65+ WAM, then you are in the same position as someone who enrolled into Engineering straight up.

Roy216

HSC
so i'd be getting put into first year engineering at unsw?

D94

HSC
N/A
so i'd be getting put into first year engineering at unsw?
It doesn't really matter what you're enrolled in if you intend on transferring. Sure you can do the courses for the degree you're enrolled in then transfer, but you've now wasted 8 courses, so you'd be extending your stay at uni. If you just do the courses necessary for engineering, do well in them, then transfer, you won't be wasting any time or money.

But really, the courses for Science and Engineering overlap a lot, especially in first year. In fact, you could be in either degree and your courses would be valid for either.

Roy216

HSC
sorry i don't know much about uni courses or transferring so what would you recommend doing?

tebbzy

HSC
if that is your plan then enrol into science at unsw. However it would be SMART to make friends who are in the years above they can provide you with hints/past papers/past labs/ assignments which NEVER CHANGE every year. getting 65 in ur first sem at uni isnt the easiest of tasks if ur alone but if you with the right group of ppl it should be be a breeze =)

Roy216

HSC
so would anyone recommend unsw over usyd or the other way around?

Roy216

HSC
if that is your plan then enrol into science at unsw. However it would be SMART to make friends who are in the years above they can provide you with hints/past papers/past labs/ assignments which NEVER CHANGE every year. getting 65 in ur first sem at uni isnt the easiest of tasks if ur alone but if you with the right group of ppl it should be be a breeze =)
hmm, ill keep that in mind. Thanks :)

D94

HSC
N/A
sorry i don't know much about uni courses or transferring so what would you recommend doing?
That's fine.

I would recommend you enrol into UNSW Science, then complete the courses for Aerospace Engineering found here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/AEROA13710.html

So, in first semester, you will be doing Maths 1A (or higher), Physics 1A (or higher), ENGG1000 and ENGG1811. In second semester, you will be doing Maths 1B (or higher), MMAN1300, 2 engineering electives or 1 engineering elective + MMAN1130 (if they open up more spots).

In those 8 courses, you'll need to achieve a WAM of 65+ (as high as possible). Then during late second semester, you'll apply for Internal Program Transfer because you're currently enrolled in Science, but you need to transfer to Engineering.

Now, you may feel it's a bit weird doing Engineering when you're enrolled in Science. That's not an issue because you are intending on transferring. Transferring will only consider your WAM, so don't worry about your ATAR being lower than the Engineering cutoff. Also, Science and Engineering courses are very similar; the maths and physics courses are technically Science faculty courses. Another reason why you should follow what I said above is because if you do random Science courses, and they don't align up with then Engineering plan, you'll have to spend more time at uni, and spend more money on those courses.

Roy216

HSC
That's fine.

I would recommend you enrol into UNSW Science, then complete the courses for Aerospace Engineering found here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/AEROA13710.html

So, in first semester, you will be doing Maths 1A (or higher), Physics 1A (or higher), ENGG1000 and ENGG1811. In second semester, you will be doing Maths 1B (or higher), MMAN1300, 2 engineering electives or 1 engineering elective + MMAN1130 (if they open up more spots).

In those 8 courses, you'll need to achieve a WAM of 65+ (as high as possible). Then during late second semester, you'll apply for Internal Program Transfer because you're currently enrolled in Science, but you need to transfer to Engineering.

Now, you may feel it's a bit weird doing Engineering when you're enrolled in Science. That's not an issue because you are intending on transferring. Transferring will only consider your WAM, so don't worry about your ATAR being lower than the Engineering cutoff. Also, Science and Engineering courses are very similar; the maths and physics courses are technically Science faculty courses. Another reason why you should follow what I said above is because if you do random Science courses, and they don't align up with then Engineering plan, you'll have to spend more time at uni, and spend more money on those courses.
Wow thank you definately be taking a look into this, one more thing about unsw is that is a 2 year flexible engineering course and then students choose which field they'd like to major in, whereas at usyd it offers B Aeronautical Engineering (Space) straight away, would you possibly have any idea on which would be better for me to look at or should that be my choice?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Wow thank you definately be taking a look into this, one more thing about unsw is that is a 2 year flexible engineering course and then students choose which field they'd like to major in...
I think you've misunderstood that. It's only for each individual school, i.e. the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, or, the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, etc. Let's take Mech for example; since each of the programs they offer, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Aerospace, Naval Architecture, Manufacturing, have overlapping subjects in the first two years, you don't really need to decide which one to major in until the end of second semester in second year. However, the courses you complete in Mechanical will be different to the courses you complete in say Civil or Chemical or Electrical, specifically in second year. So it's School based, not a Faculty-wide "2 year flexible engineering course". You really do need to decide which School you want to belong to in first year. There is a flexible first year though, but there are guidelines you need to follow otherwise you may end up spending more time at uni than necessary.

whereas at usyd it offers B Aeronautical Engineering (Space) straight away, would you possibly have any idea on which would be better for me to look at or should that be my choice?
I can't really comment, nor can most people, because they haven't been to both universities. You should read the course outlines and compare the two programs.

Roy216

HSC
yeah i thought so, I'll be going to the info days so hopefully i can get the information there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)