Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Merethrond
That is ridiculous that they still count your U A.I. if you have already completed a Degree. Surely, your University results are much more relevant that your U.A.I. at that stage. I mean the U.A.I. will be your result from three to four years ago! A lot can change in that time:rolleyes:.
Well thats the process they use for screening candidates for Graduate Law programs at UNSW and USyd...I'm still unsure about normal bachelor degrees

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
It is not that watered down, 75% University grades - 25% U.A.I. Maybe if it was 90% University grades - 10% U.A.I. I would consider it fair and watered down, but that is just me:).
I agree. In fact, I don't think the UAI should be of any significance after you get into uni. That's just taking a stoopid mark from 3+ years ago...gawwwddddd......the UAI is going to haunt some people for life. :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
I agree. In fact, I don't think the UAI should be of any significance after you get into uni. That's just taking a stoopid mark from 3+ years ago...gawwwddddd......the UAI is going to haunt some people for life. :p
Haha, one of those people is me:eek: :D!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Well thats the process they use for screening candidates for Graduate Law programs at UNSW and USyd...I'm still unsure about normal bachelor degrees
I remember briefly checking a while ago and from memory this only applies to select, high-demand courses like Law that don't have third-party exams in place. Thus, USyd GradLaw requires 50% GPA and 50% UAI (unless you can convince them your UAI is old and irrelevant - more than 7 years or so) but something like Arts would only be GPA. I haven't checked for new guidelines, but this was true a few months ago.

guesswho

HSC
hey would anyone know if say:

"A" got 75% for all his subjects and another "B" got 80% for all the same subjects..Both got distinctions so will both get GPA of 6... Or will "B" get the higher GPA.

(The latter appears more fair but the former is correct according to the formula and stuff from that scu pdf...

GPA = ∑ (Credit Point Value x Numerical Value of Grade) / ∑ (Credit Point Value)

(can u please explain, minai???)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
guesswho said:
(can u please explain, minai???)
The answer is that they both get the same Grade Point Average (GPA)
Obviously their average marks would be different, but in terms of GPA, it makes no difference

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Remember that though the marks are an exact calculation of performance in any given task, the awards assigned are stepwise - ie the award for 74% (credit) is worth much less than the award for 75% (distinction) - a whole point in terms of GPA, and that means a lot. Think in terms of "bands", it's like the difference between bands 4 and 5 in the HSC. :)

guesswho

HSC
are you serious???

so are you saying it's basically pointless aiming for higher than 85 for a subject since 85 and 99 will both counts as a numerical value of '7'.. towards the calculation of your GPA..

please confirm, since what your saying sounds really,, really unfair.

eg. A got 75, 75, 75 for 3 subjects,
and B got 84,84, 74 for the same 3 subjects. ... Are you saying that A will have a higher GPA? (since A will have three 6's while B will only have two 6's and one 5)
surely that is unjust.

Sorry for being annoying but where do people go to find this kind of stuff out?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Does that mean in theory one could only have a High Distinction average would be to get a High Distinction in each subject?

santaslayer

HSC
Xayma said:
Does that mean in theory one could only have a High Distinction average would be to get a High Distinction in each subject?
No. To get a HD average, it will require the average of your marks to be a HD, does not necessarily mean all subjects have to be a HD.

santaslayer

HSC
guesswho said:

GPA = the sum of (numerical grade values x credit point values) divided by the total credit point values. :) Get it?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Santaslayer...how are you supposed to recover a perfect GPA when you get anything less than a HD in any given subject? A HD average is equivalent to a GPA of 7. Anything less in any of your subjects (as long as it counts in the GPA calculation) will destroy that average, as there is no possible higher award than HD.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
guesswho said:
are you serious???

so are you saying it's basically pointless aiming for higher than 85 for a subject since 85 and 99 will both counts as a numerical value of '7'.. towards the calculation of your GPA..

please confirm, since what your saying sounds really,, really unfair.

eg. A got 75, 75, 75 for 3 subjects,
and B got 84,84, 74 for the same 3 subjects. ... Are you saying that A will have a higher GPA? (since A will have three 6's while B will only have two 6's and one 5)
surely that is unjust.

As I said,
getting 75 for all your subjects gives you a GPA of 6.0, which is THE SAME as getting 84 for all subjects (same GPA of 6.0)
and yes, A will have a higher GPA (6.0), whereas B will have a GPA of 5.67

To clarify a few points
santa and xayma were talking about High Distinction "average", meaning average of all marks, so its possible to get an HD average by getting marks such as 99, 98 and 65
BUT, as lexi pointed out, you cannot get a GPA of 7 if you get anything less than HD in any subject

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz, yeah that's correct. I was looking at the "Credit Average" thread just before this one and I incorrectly substituted the HD for a C, in which case is possible. :p

cowsushi

HSC
N/A
my dream course is at UTS which im fairly definate im not getting into, would it be easier to take up a similar course at a diff uni and then transfer or take up another course within UTS itself and transfer internally....................

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gah, im so fucked for law haha, might see you people at uts soon

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you want to transfer into a course that you doubt you'll be able to enter immediately, it's far better to get into a similar course at a different institution. Most universities will not be giving their own students advanced consideration next year for transfers, as these will mostly be conducted by UAC. Also, if you transfer between similar courses at differing institutions it is highly likely that you will receive "recognition of prior learning" (ie academic credit). This means you won't "lose time" due to switching from one degree to another.

UTS Only:
From next year the Internal Course Transfer will be almost entirely abolished - you will only be able to conduct very specific transfers (such as changing Majors within the same course).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh just a note about averages: universities say they look at your GPA, but it appears that they consider your WAM as well (since it is a more accurate reflection of your overall performance). However, not all universities give percentile marks (ie marks out of 100) and instead issue "grades" (eg C, HD etc) so GPAs are the standard.

Actually, let me check up on that, everything is changing next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)