Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
is usually only for external transfer or it could be avail. for internal course transfer aswell?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
so like
i'm thinking of transferring to unsw combined law which i missed out on last year by about half a UAI point

does that mean if i can get a GPA of 5.9ish this semester i can defer next semester and then apply for transfer at the end of the year with a goodish chance?

would only doing 1 semester disadvantage you/be not allowed in terms of getting in? cos i want to piss off uni for a bit

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suspect the UNSW Law Faculty might require transfer students to have completed the equivalent of at least one year of full-time study.

I know USYD imposes this requirement.

Otherwise, yes, you'd have a goodish chance.

santaslayer

HSC
I've always been told that a student must complete one years worth of study in order to transfer to law....:)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
omg, i missed out for applying thru UAC, now i regret not doing it when i knew about it, now its closed :(

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
If its your first year at uni work really hard, because unfortunatley USYD (and as of this year UNSW) will not allow you to transfer to law with more than 1 years worth of tertiary study (and 1 year minimum). ie. if you have done 1 year of uni, you can transfer, no more and no less.

UNSW info:
http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Future_Students/undergraduate/admissions/A07.asp

USYD info:
http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/law/FMPro?-DB=law.fp5&-FORMAT=b02.htm&code=b02a05&Max=1&-Find

Incidentally USYD usually never take applications for law midsemester anyway

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
If its your first year at uni work really hard, because unfortunatley USYD (and as of this year UNSW) will not allow you to transfer to law with more than 1 years worth of tertiary study (and 1 year minimum). ie. if you have done 1 year of uni, you can transfer, no more and no less.

Incidentally USYD usually never take applications for law midsemester anyway
i find that very suprising

the uni i go to, uwa, have already decided to increase hecs fees by 25% for students commencing in 2005...

but i wanted to transfer into law/commerce in 2005 (they don't do mid year transfers)

so do i have to pay the increased hecs fees too if i get the transfer? or am i exempt because i've already been enrolled at the uni, just in a different degree?

thanks

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Does it make it easier to swap unis if you have a degree.

Like i want to do a degree at one uni, then at the end swap to another, is there any special consideration for me because i have a degree? Or do i still have to use my old uai?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by theone123
i find that very suprising
i think its to do with being too far behind if you get into law in your 3rd official year of uni..

Originally posted by Wilmo
Does it make it easier to swap unis if you have a degree.

Like i want to do a degree at one uni, then at the end swap to another, is there any special consideration for me because i have a degree? Or do i still have to use my old uai?
what do you mean? if you have already graduated (ie have a degree), then if you want to do anothe degree elsewhere, you'll be considered 75% tertiary grades, 25% UAI - however, im not sure about this, best ask the universities themselves, or consult a UAC guide

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I see how confusing i was. I want to do nursing and arts, but sydney cancelled their nursing programs.

So i want to know if i can do my nursing degree at Wolongong or wherever and then once i finish my degree go to Sydney to get my Arts degree.

So if i didnt have a UAI good enough to do arts when I finished school, would my nursing degree help me to get into USYD rather than having to rely on my UAI?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
if you have already graduated (ie have a degree), then if you want to do anothe degree elsewhere, you'll be considered 75% tertiary grades, 25% UAI - however, im not sure about this, best ask the universities themselves, or consult a UAC guide
for anyone wanting to transfer into uts, i was told that for some courses you are also required to write a personal statement for your application - including combined law programs.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Wilmo
I see how confusing i was. I want to do nursing and arts, but sydney cancelled their nursing programs.

So i want to know if i can do my nursing degree at Wolongong or wherever and then once i finish my degree go to Sydney to get my Arts degree.

So if i didnt have a UAI good enough to do arts when I finished school, would my nursing degree help me to get into USYD rather than having to rely on my UAI?
Yes, they will predominately look at your undergraduate grades. :uhhuh:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
what do you mean? if you have already graduated (ie have a degree), then if you want to do anothe degree elsewhere, you'll be considered 75% tertiary grades, 25% UAI - however, im not sure about this, best ask the universities themselves, or consult a UAC guide
That is ridiculous that they still count your U A.I. if you have already completed a Degree. Surely, your University results are much more relevant that your U.A.I. at that stage. I mean the U.A.I. will be your result from three to four years ago! A lot can change in that time:rolleyes:.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
That is ridiculous that they still count your U A.I. if you have already completed a Degree. Surely, your University results are much more relevant that your U.A.I. at that stage. I mean the U.A.I. will be your result from three to four years ago! A lot can change in that time:rolleyes:.

Its very watered down under your uni results, I think its quite a fair method.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Ah i get ya... I didnt read Minai's post so thats why i asked again... and thanks santa for clearing it up :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
Its very watered down under your uni results, I think its quite a fair method.
It is not that watered down, 75% University grades - 25% U.A.I. Maybe if it was 90% University grades - 10% U.A.I. I would consider it fair and watered down, but that is just me:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)