Transfer into UWS Medicine after First Year. (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
rcr4fags said:
all i am saying is 130 is fuken low. i actually havent heard of anyone getting that low. i am pretty sure you ranked in the bottom 5%.

i think everyone has aspirations to be a doctor but reality is not everyone can be, i am sure you are mentally capable, however compared to other people who sat the UMAT then you are very low on the pecking order.

go and study your ass off and prove me wrong. but i will say even if you paid for medentry you wont even get over 150.
Very harsh ^ (but I share the same sentiment and not just to charlie91), but in reality charlie91 your going to need to put some serious effort into umat to improve.

I.e. wide reading, speed reading (if you can do it/time permitting), mensa puzzles, reading on EQ, reading the papers daily, etc.

However, like I have stated before, consider JCU and graduate entry.

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
How hard will it be to improve my UMAT score from 156 (no Prep course) to gain an interview at UWS (using prep course)?

Well, I think it was around 156. It was the 67% percentile for sure though.

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dolbinau said:
How hard will it be to improve my UMAT score from 156 (no Prep course) to gain an interview at UWS (using prep course)?

Well, I think it was around 156. It was the 67% percentile for sure though.
Everyone one's different, one member on MSO spent an hour a day for an entire year and increased her score from 150 to well over 200 (230-240's i think).

charlie91

HSC
rcr4fags said:
all i am saying is 130 is fuken low. i actually havent heard of anyone getting that low. i am pretty sure you ranked in the bottom 5%.

i think everyone has aspirations to be a doctor but reality is not everyone can be, i am sure you are mentally capable, however compared to other people who sat the UMAT then you are very low on the pecking order.

go and study your ass off and prove me wrong. but i will say even if you paid for medentry you wont even get over 150.
atually some of the people i know got lower and similar to my mark, so yes i am capable but like i said i wasnt prepared and i didnt know what it was about, but i have heard many get similar marks to mine and redo and get better marks

dmw28b

HSC
Don't lose hope.
I can't remember what I scored when I first sat UMAT in Year 12 but it would've been around 130ish.
I scored mid 180s last year (3rd attempt now - 3 years on). Year before I scored 173.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen but if you are really convinced that this is what you are meant to do you will find a way. One thing I do know for sure though is that I would've made a lousy Med Student after Year 12. I changed A LOT over the past few years.

I won't be responding to this thread. I came back to BoS to quickly look something up. I dug up this old account just so I could post and maybe give you a bit of hope. If this IS what you want - go and get it. I'm not saying that you should only learn to get the highest score you possibly can on UMAT. This *will* help but it's more than that. Learn to be the kind of student and person that SHOULD be studying Medicine.

Best of luck.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
atually some of the people i know got lower and similar to my mark, so yes i am capable but like i said i wasnt prepared and i didnt know what it was about, but i have heard many get similar marks to mine and redo and get better marks

i will pay for your medentry fees if you end up gettin 180 in your umat.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
If your UAI is less than 95, it is possible to transfer with a good UMAT score?
i read that getting into med at UWS requires a minimum uai of 95 for transfer, and if your eligible as a GWS applicant, u need at least 93 uai or else there is no way of transferring regardless of how great your GPA + UMAT score is which is stupid imo.

If you apply for graduate entry, UAI is no longer a hurdle.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
If your UAI is less than 95, it is possible to transfer with a good UMAT score?
If you sat UMAT in 08 and did very well, I suggest you keep that score (as they use you most recent test score) and do one year of tertiary study. If you achieve a GPA of 5.5+ in that year, you should be offered an interview late this year.

charlie91

HSC
Don't lose hope.
I can't remember what I scored when I first sat UMAT in Year 12 but it would've been around 130ish.
I scored mid 180s last year (3rd attempt now - 3 years on). Year before I scored 173.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen but if you are really convinced that this is what you are meant to do you will find a way. One thing I do know for sure though is that I would've made a lousy Med Student after Year 12. I changed A LOT over the past few years.

I won't be responding to this thread. I came back to BoS to quickly look something up. I dug up this old account just so I could post and maybe give you a bit of hope. If this IS what you want - go and get it. I'm not saying that you should only learn to get the highest score you possibly can on UMAT. This *will* help but it's more than that. Learn to be the kind of student and person that SHOULD be studying Medicine.

Best of luck.
hey thanks so much, i'm just scared, realllly realllly realllly scared. but i guess i'll have to try. but to be honest i hate section1 and that is the section that brought me down by heaps, i did finish it but i guess i dont know how to answer it, any suggestions?

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
hey thanks so much, i'm just scared, realllly realllly realllly scared. but i guess i'll have to try. but to be honest i hate section1 and that is the section that brought me down by heaps, i did finish it but i guess i dont know how to answer it, any suggestions?
Section 1 is difficult becuase it requires you to absorb and dissect a wealth of information under pressure. Practice speed reading and read a variety of material - e.g. newspapers and journals.

BigDk

HSC
u got 130? brain ransplant is prob your only solution. seriously

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
hey lets forget the past but, im good with speed reading just cant dissect it? i dont know why.
Read slower :haha: Their's no point in speed reading if your going to lose your comprehension and understanding of the passages.

charlie91

HSC
Read slower :haha: Their's no point in speed reading if your going to lose your comprehension and understanding of the passages.
hey your right, but i dont have to speed read, because i finish in time but im trying to work on section 1, fingers cross i can do good. by the sounds of it i need to get 180 for 80 percentile, right?

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
hey your right, but i dont have to speed read, because i finish in time but im trying to work on section 1, fingers cross i can do good. by the sounds of it i need to get 180 for 80 percentile, right?
In 2008, an overall score of 56 was required to register in the 80th percentile.

Finishing on time isn't going to help if you're not getting them right.

Wikipedia said:
Speed reading is a collection of reading methods which attempt to increase rates of reading without greatly reducing comprehension or retention. Methods include chunking and eliminating subvocalization [...].

Speed reading is characterized by an analysis of trade-offs between measures of speed and comprehension, recognizing that different types of reading call for different speed and comprehension rates, and that those rates may be improved with practice.
You need to practice learning to identify which parts you need to pay attention to, and which parts you don't, i.e. reading effectively. Skimming the passage and reading the questions before searching for the answer will help with this. :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
In 2008, an overall score of 56 was required to register in the 80th percentile.

Finishing on time isn't going to help if you're not getting them right.

You need to practice learning to identify which parts you need to pay attention to, and which parts you don't, i.e. reading effectively. Skimming the passage and reading the questions before searching for the answer will help with this. :)
Ha ha wiki,

The problem with umat is that you can actually loose understanding by using methods learnt in Speed reading esp from books, which use various methods such as the pacer, diagonal reading etc. Due to detail and small things esp in section 2 which you can miss out on.

Many people don't finish section 1 in time or rush through it well, so don't be too harsh on yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)