transcendent and immanent dimensions (1 Viewer)

kittyful

HSC
Can anyone explain the the difference between transcendent and immanent dimensions i really dont get it... i searched online and i dont understand it

Any help would be appreciated :)

allira92

HSC
i'm assuming this has to do with religion yeah? if not just use it as an example.

Transcendent is when the god or other spiritual being dwells in heaven/land. etc ie. out side the body.

Immanent is when the god/ spiritual being dwells within the a body.

does that make sense?

kittyful

HSC
yea.. this is related to religion... i get it now thanks :)

hscishard

HSC
Transcendent is Christianity
Immanent is like the Dreaming.

Transcendant = beyond(transcend) this world
Immanent = belief in gods/goddesses that are present in nature

Brontecat

HSC
Immanent dimension: A worldview that recognises a divine being or powers as a constant reality - an active and continuing presence among believers and in this world.

Transcendent dimension:The belief in a divine being or powers whose existence 'goes beyond' human limitations.

Divine: Of or pertaining to a god, especially the Supreme Being. From the latin divinus - of the gods or superhuman.

So in summary immanent (stretches arms out sideways like sor teacher used to lol) means a superhuman presence being here with us an remaining active in our lives, and supernatural (points hand to sky) are those supernatural beings that are beyond our human limitations.

An example of an immanent religion would be Therevadan Buddhism. These Buddhists believe that they must follow Buddha's teachings in order to achieve a personal enlightenment that will remove them from this world of pain and suffering. The divine power is within them.

A transcendent religion would be Judaism. Jewish people believe that the God is high above them, he is not present with them on earth. They can never achieve the same existence as God as it goes 'beyond their human limitations'.

Christianity, contrary to popular belief has both immanent and transcendent dimensions. The transcendent dimension follows the Jewish conventions (as shown above), whilst an immanent presence is present in Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus is an 'active and continuing presence among believers in this world'. This belief is further extended in a Christian act of worship, prayer. If Christians pray to Jesus they believe that he will answer his prayers and intervene in the earthly world of humans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)