Train fares to rise (Sydney) (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
weekly ticket to work/uni went up to 27 bucks, it used to be 21.50. Bleh.

just really glad I'm a student right now, fucked if I'd pay $54 a week to ride a sweaty sardine can to the city every day

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:

just really glad I'm a student right now, fucked if I'd pay $54 a week to ride a sweaty sardine can to the city every day
if i drove in to the city i'd pay tolls twice there, once back (M5, ED, M5). Works out way more expensive than the train would. It'd be a tough choice. :bomb:

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
akrinis said:
My friends and I went to the movies at Parramatta yesterday, and we had to take a bus to Granville first. Then we bought single tickets [my idea, I thought it was going to be cheaper, I was silly] to Parra.

On the way back, we bought single tickets home and the cost was $1.90!! Back when the rise wasn't in place, we only had to fork out $2.60 for a RETURN ticket to Parramatta. I'm guessing a return ticket now is about $3.80!! What a rip off! :burn:

I HATE Cityrail! On weekends, Platform 2 of Cabramatta AND Fairfield have almost ZERO customer service. The ticket counter is closed, so if you need help you can't even ask for it! When you're at Fairfield, you won't have a clue when the next train's coming unless you cross the bridge over to Platform 1, but then you risk losing the train on Platform 2 if it happens to arrive.

And sometimes, the train comes but it doesn't even ANNOUNCE on the speakers where it's going.

You know, I even personally took the time to write a COMPLAINT to them and then what do I get? An automatic message telling me I'll have a reply in 5 days. Did I ever hear from them? BULLSHIT.
Try living somewhere thats not a shithole.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
wow i had a 20c increase in my train fair and that was quite an unwanted surprise!

sinophile

HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
I still often go for the Under 16 ticket, despite being 18.
I thought you could buy a child's ticket, so long as you have your student ID card?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:

my mistake, it only went up by like 2 bucks but still :S

probably wouldn't be worth driving anyway, rather let someone else do the driving and I'll just sleep :D

neb: is there any way you can avoid the motorways? I guess that'd take ages though hey

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yes. you could exit the M5 at King Georges Road before it gets too packed up and then take Cantebury Road/Parramatta Road into the city, but that would take double/triple the time.

I find it somewhat amusing/disturbing that the poor who have to live in the fringes of Sydney have to pay more to get to work to get them by from week to week.

Keep in mind there's little choice until the government (hopefully) steps up this high density business towards the city.

HSC
sinophile said:
I thought you could buy a child's ticket, so long as you have your student ID card?
My student ID has my DOB on it, so nah, i'll get fucked over if a transit sees me :(

zstar

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't mind the increase if it meant better services but instead we're paying more for one of the worst train systems in the industrialized world.

The answer to this is to get the government out of transport completely.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
sinophile said:
whos needs a student ID card when theres machines!!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
sinophile said:
You need to get a concession card from your school.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
heyy when i went to buy my ticket this morning to the city i received a nasty surprise.. $4.00 grrr and the train was completely packed with people.. i know people are going to the CBD to work and all but fare rises.. and it's not good considering that on my way back home..

the train was stationary after passengers from Homebush boarded the train and then i find myself staring at my watch, with my friends complaining that he is gonna be late for work.

Then we received an announcement to get off the train, i was wondering what was going on. I then saw people looking towards the front carriage of the train. i asked someone what happened she told me that she was in the first carriage and the train derailed... this was me :jaw:and this was my friend:mad1: but then i told him that "at least you don't have to work now because you can tell your boss your train got stuffed lol or derailed.

At first i thought there was a punch on/brawl in the first carriage because of the large numbers of police officers rushing through the platform but yeah soon found out it derailed.

LOL the look on my friend was priceless when his :mad1: look turned to a :skip:.

So then we received an announcement to go to platforms 2 and 3 and police sealed of access to platforms 5 and 6 with the police tape.

so i waited a good 10-15 minutes for a train back home from platform 3. grrrrr

annoying it was so hot...

To keep on topic, i believe Cityrail handled the situation fine. i got back home, most of the people were like this :mad1: "how am i going to get to work?" "how am i going to get home?" but yeah Cityrail handled it fine, i got back home and i am glad i wasn't in the first carriage. The people who came out of there some of them looked like they just got slapped. :lol:

However $4.00 for this.. i don't think so. hmph.

Last edited:

spiny norman

HSC
I have been of the opinion for some time that Cityrail should refund tickets for poor service. Practically all services allow some kind of compensation for a fuck-up, but not Cityrail when it can be more frustrating than the rest of them.

That said, thank you for your smilies utilised in your post. They were both instructive and enhanced your tale by detailing the moods of the characters within where words would not have sufficed.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
You need to get a concession card from your school.
I dont understand why people dont know this. Freaking hell, imagine all the poor students that have to pay adult fares when they could get an equivalent child's fare using their student concession card.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
You pay for your ticket knowing that you risk derailment, sir/madam!
:lol: but i don't think it happens all too often and when i buy my ticket i just expect to reach my destination nothing else to happen.

spiny norman said:
I have been of the opinion for some time that Cityrail should refund tickets for poor service. Practically all services allow some kind of compensation for a fuck-up, but not Cityrail when it can be more frustrating than the rest of them.

That said, thank you for your smilies utilised in your post. They were both instructive and enhanced your tale by detailing the moods of the characters within where words would not have sufficed.
Refund tickets for poor service :spin: sounds like a great idea.

:lol: anytime

coopert

HSC
Raven3333 said:
Try living somewhere thats not a shithole.

HAHAHA I was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading that post.

But seriously, Sydney is a bit of a joke. I love it and all, but if they're going to jack the prices up (Which fair enough, I could handle that); it should at least correspond to an increase in the number of trains, or better timetables, or even a slight improvment in someway to the current system.

Too bad the state government has no foresight or vision whatsoever. They should stop spending any more money on roads, and start to try and upgrade, expand, and improve upon CityRail to make it even in the same league as Tokyo or London.

Sydney's infrastructure is a bit of a joke when compared to every other actual 'global' city.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Whilst prices for stations under 35km away from central have risen, prices for stations over 35km away from central have dropped.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
goony said:
Whilst prices for stations under 35km away from central have risen, prices for stations over 35km away from central have dropped.
that can't be right, I'm like 65 kms from central or something, and the fare has gone up from ~ $25 a week to $27 (student)

unless that's just for weekly tickets or something :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)