Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Regardless of how logical you can be, there will always be these people who are arrogant and think they're beyond the law, that they are better drivers than most other people and that they have the right to speed.

It was annoying back at start of Ls to try to look at the speedo and steer at high speeds, especially on those roads with really narrow lanes. And when you get off a freeway onto surburban roads, the car feels like it's crawling. Having said that, I was on the Gore Hill freeway near Chatswood, a bus was passing by me and I didn't want to be travelling next to one on a narrow lane so I kept my foot on the accelerator. In the end when I decided to let it overtake and tap the brakes the speedo hit 100 on its way down. Not the smartest thing, especially on Ls in a 80 zone.

Haven't travelled on a freeway with 110 yet, so that would take over as the highest in the near future. Unless I go on a trip to the Northern Territory and see if I can push it near 200 (doubt it). Or on a track, but that seems a waste of money considering it's a 4WD (and not one of those city versions either).

Last edited:

Srixon

HSC
most of the hume highway is 110 i woul dsay the only part where it is 70 is near sydney or going through a small town along the line but thats about it the rest is 110

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
top speed: 140 on the way to Sydney, makeing it 60km over [was on L's as time]

maximum amount over: 60km ish, however on a seperate incident [110km in a 50 zone, one of those country rural area 50 zones were they road is dead straight, every1 treats it like a freeway and going at 50k would take you 20mins to get to the friends farm, from town...thats like further away than my house to wollongong...insane]

i tend to ignore restrictions on any sort of provisional license, so to me, 140 is really only 30km over and doesnt seem that bad when you are in a hurry. I find the restrictions unfair and biased, going at 110 on a road designed to go 110 where the posted speed is 110 is not dangerous, even if iam a "stupid inexperienced P plater" going at 110 on a 110 road feels like going at 50 in a 50 zone, the speeds feel right for the road.

I havent done any sort of insane speeds that loquasagacious has done, but i dont critisise him for it, and i support him. Do what you want, fuck the consequences.

those pictures were abit graphic, might have been a good idea to post a warning and link to them instead of having them in the forum like BAM brain matter pictures while iam eating

HSC
like whooa brah.
youre like fully hektic brah
siK.

its like youre invincible at those speeds. not even allah can stop you, let alone teh law!

Collin

HSC
N/A
140km/hr @ Pittwater Road, Collaroy... around 3 months after I first got my Ps. Nearly flipped the 4WD too. And yes, I acknowledge I was an idiot.

HSC
an old high school friend of mine wrapped his dads brand new, near top of the line Jaguar around a tree on old pittwater road. and it was only the 2nd day on his P's.
he was lucky his dad owned Caputo Real Estate :eek:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
160 kph on Mona Vale Road Terrey Hills on my uncles Monaro.

Did not enjoy one bit.

I did up to about 150 with my parents in the family car (1997 Commodore) driving on the Princes Highway between Bega and Merimbula when they were asleep, then the following day drove from the Victorian border to Sale in only about two and a half hours.

That was while i was still on my L's so that freaked me out how impatient i was. But the best thing was that i got from Merimbula to Melbourne in just under 6 hrs (vast improvement on the parent's last time which took about 9 hrs due to getting lost)

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
You're crazy mate. What was the traffic like? I wouldn't of even thought you had a clear enough straight in traffic (unless we're talking about a double lane section of the road, which seems rare around Terrey Hills), let alone sufficient visibility due to the curvacious nature of the road to drive that fast.

Getting booked along there would actually be pretty rare, I would think. If you were to encounter cops, chances are it would be ones coming the opposite direction. By the time the cops make a U-Turn over the traffic towards your direction, your 160km/hr vehicle would of been far gone.

Anyway, I must reiterate again that you're a crazy crazy person. I'm definitely not as gutsey as yourself to do 160 on the north section of the M3.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Wheredanton said:
I didn’t seek to link high speed with accidents.
Read again. I was responding to this comment. Your words

The stats show that young drivers kill themselves in road accidents at a greater rate than any other demographic. You rebutted an argument that wasn’t even made.
And the posting of accident photos in a thread about driving at high speed wasn't making an implicit link?

In fact you were explicit..

You read this thread (about speeding) and wonder why the large proportion of dead drivers are young.
You have failed to back up your initial claim that speeding equates to accidents.

No onus on me to prove anything. And what is with all this higher than thou plucked from the air assumptions and correlations between people who use the phrase ‘15 year old shitbox’ and those who drive 5 year old cars that are small and regularly serviced?
You accuse me of holier than thou tactics??? Let me take this oppurtunity to remind everyone of who posted (paraphrased): "Won't somebody think of the children!!"

In any case your correlation is wrong. The car I drive is older than 5 years. It’s not a small car and my father and I service it.
Oh so you drive a fifteen year old shitbox too? Don't make baseless assumptions.

My use of the phrase '15 year old shit box' is aimed to demostrating how stupid someone is when they do over 200kmph on public roads shared by the general public who may not share the driver's assessment of their 'above par' driving skills in a car (I'm assuming its a stock early 90s camy) not really made for getting up to such speeds. Especially when it's already reasonably old. I think it would be reasonable to say that attaining a 200kmph plus speeds in a any car should be left to flat well maintained german freeways and race tracks rather than crap Sydney roads.
When I do such speeds the general public is not around at 3am I am endangering only myself. On the flats we actually closed off the section we were using with roadblocks. In any other situation headlights are a clear indication that there is someone else around and to abort.

Of the cars quoted none except the Integra were in stock configuration. The camry would in fact have been the most modified having coped new shocks and springs on all corners, front and rear sway bars, mags, extractors, a beefier steering rack and some other work. Next would come the Volvo; mags, larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, wider tyres and stiffer rear shocks. The lancer would be a Cold Air Intake.

In essence I agree with you - I am not suggesting that people drive around 24/7 at 200+. I have driven at those speeds on very limited occassions and purely for benchmarking purposes. In fact as you may have noted I directed sk8_boi to look into fanging his commodore around oran park or eastern creek raceway.

You seem to assume that car manufactures have not made any advances in safety. I think this is highly spurious. Advances have been made in the areas which you outlined above. Also many of these safety devices are now available to relatively inexpensive cars unlike in the past. Surely you must accept that advances in all the aforementioned areas have been made thus making cars today safer.

Unless of course you are going to tell me that no advances have been made by car manufactures in the past 15 years when it comes to crash safety.
I'm suggesting that only limited advances have been made (eg the airbags everywhere that you mention) and that no major advances have been made. eg the introduction and use of seatbelts had a huge impact nothing in the last 15 years has had that effect.

Electronic advances such as traction, stability, etc control have not had the huge effect required to be a pivotal developement and are as yet not widespread even among new cars.

Your point about better tyres is interesting - you seem to assume that a fifteen year old car has fifteen year old tyres on... Forgive me - did I do something wrong by replacing the tyres? At the times of those runs all cars were on relatively new tyres eg <10,000km and all were modern tyres.

I think it would be wrong to say that you are on your P’s and are somehow not inexperienced. It doesn’t matter how many defensive driving courses you have done the fact remains that you have not had many years on the road and your arrogance and supreme self confidence (confidence enough to flaunt the road rules and do over 200kmph) is the stuff that kills young foolhardy men who feel they have the ability to do 200kmph plus on public roads.
You seem to ignore that I have done and continue to do significantly more driving than the average driver - eg a year of my driving experience may well be worth two years of someone elses.

I don't know what you think they teach you at defensive driving courses - or what my father taught me. I have been taught how to avoid a potentially disasteruous situation. I have been taught how to recover from a potentially disasterous situation. I have practised recovering from such situations. I have recovered from such situations on the roads.

I have learnt how to drive a racing line, how to trail brake, how to feel the car move and how to guide it. How to push the car to the absolute limit - and no further.

I have a higher level of skill and experience than the average P-plater. I have a higher level of skill than most drivers full stop. The dowdy middle-aged woman who talks too much is not somehow a better driver than me because she has been toodling around for fourty years.

You personally feel that you have the ability to do two times the maximum speed limit, but so do other people whose speeding DID cause their crash. And I'm sure you would recongise that any mistakes made while driving are amplified at 200kmph.
Obviously those who crashed were - for whatever reason - not up to par. They should NOT have sped, THEY made the wrong call, THEY did not have the requisite skill.

Of course mistakes are amplified at 200+km/ph, that is why it is intensly important to reduce the number of variables and to not make mistakes.

Who the heck goes around saying they are an ‘above par’ driver? Public roads are not for race car drivers. You are a good driver if you manage to drive without getting involved in any crashes or cause any crashes …Simple as that.
So now I'm a good driver again? I've never caused any accidents and have only been involved in one - which I could do nothing to avoid.

Doing 200kmph, if you accept that it amplifies driving mistakes, hardly decreaes your chances of being safe if you do make a mistake - which all of us do.
Again I am not suggesting driving around at 200+km/ph I have only ever done so in a controlled situation.

In any case what you trying to prove by doing 200kmph plus on a public road?
I was benchmarking - stats are intensly important if you want to make improvements. I can not afford dyno time so I have to make do with on road stats. A passenger recors the relevant data - gear, rpm, speed, etc. I make note of the less tangible 'abit wobbly here' etc.

In summation:
-You have not proved a causal link between speed and accidents.
-I do not just hoon around and do not recommend doing so.
-The cars involved were not fifteen (or thirty-three) year old shit boxes.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
loquasagacious said:
And the posting of accident photos in a thread about driving at high speed wasn't making an implicit link?
It tends to remind people of their mortality. Something which I think people like you need reminding of. Especially, when you spend plenty of time trying to defend the actions of doing 200kmph plus on a public road.

wheredanton said:
You read this thread (about speeding) and wonder why the large proportion of dead drivers are young.
So what do you think causes the high rate of death and injury among young drivers? Surely if you recognize that speed amplifies any mistakes made, which we all make when driving, even if you are as well trained as you are ( :rolleyes: ) speeding doesn’t make your driving situation any safer.

Anyway no matter what I say about speeding being dangerous (because you know the faster you go your mistakes are amplified and we all make mistakes!) you will still continue to do what you do because you are not an inexperienced driver who has done defensive driving courses and whose father was a race car driver . Even if there where a million studies showing that speeding increased the risk of death I believe you would still speed because you personally believe that because of your background and training that you are skilled and experienced enough to undertake the speeds that you did (at night?) on public roads.

wheredanton said:
In any case your correlation is wrong. The car I drive is older than 5 years. It’s not a small car and my father and I service it.
loquasagacious said:
Oh so you drive a fifteen year old shitbox too? Don't make baseless assumptions.
Ohhh that one hurt. Unlike you, the car I drive is not an extension of my penis and my pride is not damaged when someone says my car is a shitbox. I also then don’t spend a few pages trying to make out that is it a terrible thing to call my car a shitbox.

Whether you are right of wrong my car provides transport and I don’t amplify any mistakes that I may make, or any undetected defects that may escape a careful inspection of the car, by doing speeds which are dramatically over the speed limit.

wheredanton said:
My use of the phrase '15 year old shit box' is aimed to demostrating how stupid someone is when they do over 200kmph on public roads shared by the general public who may not share the driver's assessment of their 'above par' driving skills in a car (I'm assuming its a stock early 90s camy) not really made for getting up to such speeds. Especially when it's already reasonably old. I think it would be reasonable to say that attaining a 200kmph plus speeds in a any car should be left to flat well maintained german freeways and race tracks rather than crap Sydney roads.
loquasagacious said:
When I do such speeds the general public is not around at 3am I am endangering only myself. On the flats we actually closed off the section we were using with roadblocks. In any other situation headlights are a clear indication that there is someone else around and to abort.
I really hope that you never make any mistakes at that pace. But then again you did a defensive driving course, your father was a race care driver and your drive a lot – ie your are not an inexperienced p plater :uhhuh:

I’ll remind everyone how you feel you are a better driver.

[B said:
loquasagacious][/B]
Also at what point did I become an inexperienced P-plater - I would lay down money that I'm a better driver than you or your parents. As I type I'm about six months away from getting a full licence since getting my licence I've done two practical defensive driving courses and a theory one.

Therefore you should be able to do 200kmph plus in your modified cars on flats out the back on the flats!

loquasagacious said:
Of the cars quoted none except the Integra were in stock configuration. The camry would in fact have been the most modified having coped new shocks and springs on all corners, front and rear sway bars, mags, extractors, a beefier steering rack and some other work. Next would come the Volvo; mags, larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, wider tyres and stiffer rear shocks. The lancer would be a Cold Air Intake.
Ah damn. There you go trying justifying your actions. Trying to tell me it’s safe. The only time when doing those speeds is safe (well it’s not really that safe but safer) is with a driver who has years of experience, in a controlled environment with all the safety precautions.

loquasagacious said:
In essence I agree with you - I am not suggesting that people drive around 24/7 at 200+. I have driven at those speeds on very limited occassions and purely for benchmarking purposes. In fact as you may have noted I directed sk8_boi to look into fanging his commodore around oran park or eastern creek raceway.
Benchmark on a racetrack please, take your own advice.

wheredanton said:
And if we want to get into pedantics about how 'good' cars may be I think it would be reasonable to assert that cars made today are, generally, safer than cars made 15 years ago.
loquasagacious said:
How is this a reasonable assumption? What major improvements in safety have been made in the last 15 years? Lets think seatbelts, airbags, cumple zones, safety cells, collapsable steering columns all around 15 years ago. In fact four of those five are present on my Volvo and its 33 years old.
wheredanton said:
You seem to assume that car manufactures have not made any advances in safety. I think this is highly spurious. Advances have been made in the areas which you outlined above. Also many of these safety devices are now available to relatively inexpensive cars unlike in the past. Surely you must accept that advances in all the aforementioned areas have been made thus making cars today safer.

Unless of course you are going to tell me that no advances have been made by car manufactures in the past 15 years when it comes to crash safety.

Think of the advances and improvements made to airbags. Two stage deployment and the imposition of side airbags, curtain airbags and knee airbags. Or improvements made to breaking systems with more advanced versions of ABS, Electronic stability control, better tries and better and crumple zones.
loquasagacious said:
I'm suggesting that only limited advances have been made (eg the airbags everywhere that you mention) and that no major advances have been made. eg the introduction and use of seatbelts had a huge impact nothing in the last 15 years has had that effect.

Electronic advances such as traction, stability, etc control have not had the huge effect required to be a pivotal development and are as yet not widespread even among new cars.
I made the statement that cars are generally safer than they were 15 years ago. You said this is not a reasonable assumption because the same safety devices that are found in today’s cars were also found in cars of yesteryear. I rebutted your argument by suggesting that there have been advances in car safety in the last 15 years, even if it was to existing safety systems, which have made cars generally (I’m being kind) safer than they were 15 years ago. I enforced this argument by saying that it would be silly to think that no advances were made in safety in the past 15 years which made cars safer. Even if there was an incremental advance in car safety cars today would be in general safer than cars of yesteryear.

Even if it was the case that there had been no improvements or refinements of safety systems the motoring population would be safer as a whole as more cars today come equipped with these safety devices.

I gave you a big fat massive list and then argued that it would be odd to suggest that safety has stood still for the last 15 years. I also pointed out that many of their safety devices are available on relatively inexpensive cars when they were not in the past. I think it’s also reasonable to say that the all the safety systems in cars have been dramatically improved in cars. Certainly I’d feed much safer in the Current model of a stock Toyota Camry than a 1988 Toyota Camry.

Personally I think the improvements in car structure (in terms of rigidity) have made many cars safer as well as the widespread implementation of better crumple zones.

The point is that cars today are, in general, safer than cars of a generation ago. To suggest that it is not a reasonable assumption to say that cars today are, in general, safer than they were 15 years ago ignores all the refinements and safety advances that have been made.

Let me remind you of your words
wheredanton said:
I think it would be reasonable to assert that cars made today are, generally, safer than cars made 15 years ago.
You attempt to counter this assertion.

loquasagacious said:
How is this a reasonable assumption? What major improvements in safety have been made in the last 15 years? Lets think seatbelts, airbags, cumple zones, safety cells, collapsable steering columns all around 15 years ago. In fact four of those five are present on my Volvo and its 33 years old.
I think it’s a reasonable assumption that cars are in general safer today because of the refinements in the existing safety systems.

loquasagacious said:
You seem to ignore that I have done and continue to do significantly more driving than the average driver - eg a year of my driving experience may well be worth two years of someone elses.

I don't know what you think they teach you at defensive driving courses - or what my father taught me. I have been taught how to avoid a potentially disasteruous situation. I have been taught how to recover from a potentially disasterous situation. I have practised recovering from such situations. I have recovered from such situations on the roads.

I have learnt how to drive a racing line, how to trail brake, how to feel the car move and how to guide it. How to push the car to the absolute limit - and no further.

I have a higher level of skill and experience than the average P-plater. I have a higher level of skill than most drivers full stop. The dowdy middle-aged woman who talks too much is not somehow a better driver than me because she has been toodling around for fourty years.
I think it would be wrong to say that you are on your P’s and are somehow not inexperienced. It doesn’t matter how many defensive driving courses you have done the fact remains that you have not had many years on the road and your arrogance and supreme self confidence (confidence enough to flaunt the road rules and do over 200kmph) is the stuff that kills young foolhardy men who feel they have the ability to do 200kmph plus on public roads.

Even if the middle ages women is not a technically good a driver as you, if you has been accident free for 40 years and has not endangered life then she is a good driver.

You personally feel that you have the ability to do two times the maximum speed limit, but so do other people whose speeding DID cause their crash.

loquasagacious said:
Obviously those who crashed were - for whatever reason - not up to par. They should NOT have sped, THEY made the wrong call, THEY did not have the requisite skill.
…and you are up to par? I’m sure many people out there would not share your subjective confidence in your driving skills. Even after ‘proof’ at why you are not inexperienced…even if you are a ‘good’ driver you are still plenty arrogant about your ability. I don’t think that’s a good driving trait.

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
im glad you two are having fun

cant say i could be bothered to listen to you two say things that are constantly repeated everywhere

it's lke the daily telegraph versus a car magazine

you wont agree

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Through all your posts you have been setting up a straw man argument - that is rather than addressing the issue of speed and accidents you have diverted attention to me personally.

wheredanton said:
So what do you think causes the high rate of death and injury among young drivers?
I think a profound lack of training is the primary cause. The licensing system is too easy, as a result the roads are full of young drivers with little to no idea of what to do when something goes wrong. For fucks sake we don't even teach emergency threshold braking - a skill I'd suggest everyone should have.

I would suggest the inclusion of a compulsory practical defensive driving course and the replacement of the current green Ps test with a group discussion based seminar on driving as is done in the ACT.

Surely if you recognize that speed amplifies any mistakes made, which we all make when driving.
Of course speeding amplifies a mistake which is why I would never suggest anyone speed - unless they can recover from a mistake. To minimise the mistakes they should minimise the variables eg no other cars or people around, no water on the road etc.

Here's another brilliant example of your diversionary argument style:

wheredanton said:
a car (I'm assuming its a stock early 90s camy) not really made for getting up to such speeds.
me said:
The camry would in fact have been the most modified having coped new shocks and springs on all corners, front and rear sway bars, mags, extractors, a beefier steering rack and some other work. Next would come the Volvo; mags, larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, wider tyres and stiffer rear shocks.
wheredanton said:
Ah damn. There you go trying justifying your actions. Trying to tell me it’s safe. The only time when doing those speeds is safe (well it’s not really that safe but safer) is with a driver who has years of experience, in a controlled environment with all the safety precautions.
Here we can see you do a couple of things:
-Firstly you make another baseless assumption that the camry is stock.
-You set up goalposts eg the inferrence is that a car designed for those speeds would be better.
-Then you move the goalposts - when the car does turn out to be designed for those speeds suddenly you shift the goal back to the driver.

Turning now to my alleged arrogance and supreme self confidence:

Firstly as my mates corporal told him in training: "Armed with over-whelming self confidence you can do anything".

More seriously, yes I am confident. I think everyone should be confident, it is confidence that determines whether or not we can handle a dangerous situation. If you are not confident then you panic and do not handle it appropriately and you may well die. If you are confident you do not panic, you remain calm and collected. You respond appropriately and you do not die.

Over-confidence is believing you have abilities beyond what you posses - this is trying to take an off-camber nintey degree turn at 160km/ph in your supra two days after buying it (a girl I know did this).

I do not believe that I am over-confident - and my passengers agree.

As far as arrogance goes - yes I can be arrogant, this is a by product of confidence. However when you impugne my driving and I respond in any way except: "you're right I suck" you can easily label me as arrogant. This makes this a particularly unfair insult.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
130 on south western motorway?? towards wollongong
green P'd
1999 hyundai excel auto

Pierotte

HSC
Serius said:
OMG, that stretch is 60km speed limit!

Pierotte wins, 100km over limit!
hahah!! no way! im not that nuts!

i dont know which bit of the princess hwy you travel on but where i did that it must have been min. 90, most probably 100 speed limit.

sheesh as if i would advertise my stupidity at going 100 over the speed limit. Thats barmy!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Pierotte said:
hahah!! no way! im not that nuts!

i dont know which bit of the princess hwy you travel on but where i did that it must have been min. 90, most probably 100 speed limit.

sheesh as if i would advertise my stupidity at going 100 over the speed limit. Thats barmy!
hmmm princess highway from Wollongong until around burkley is 60, then it changes to 70, then 80...you said south of wollongong so there ya go, i think it gets higher later on. you sure u not talking about the f6?

Pierotte

HSC
Serius said:
hmmm princess highway from Wollongong until around burkley is 60, then it changes to 70, then 80...you said south of wollongong so there ya go, i think it gets higher later on. you sure u not talking about the f6?
oh god i sincerely hope it wasn't 60... i mean i just assumed straight road... shit.

Im a bad driver :(

pottsy44

HSC
in my old '82 corolla wagon (infamous) i did 160 down our school road.

in my '99 au falcon i am yet to do anything impressive, just 140, dont want to push it.

my mate did 190 in a '95 magna out the back off narellan/mount annan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)