• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This also makes me wonder.. howcome in Euro cars you don't 'feel the speed' so much when you go too fast? Ciel seems to know alot about this sorta thing... so I ask you? I noticed in cheap cars (eg. Proton) when you go at 160 you can really feel the car shaking and you can feel the 'force' on your body? Kindof like when going in the GTR or Evo and you corner really hard... but then in the BMW you barely notice you're going very fast at all...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
seremify007 said:
This also makes me wonder.. howcome in Euro cars you don't 'feel the speed' so much when you go too fast? Ciel seems to know alot about this sorta thing... so I ask you? I noticed in cheap cars (eg. Proton) when you go at 160 you can really feel the car shaking and you can feel the 'force' on your body? Kindof like when going in the GTR or Evo and you corner really hard... but then in the BMW you barely notice you're going very fast at all...
maybe its because the size of the car or its engine capabilities.
the BMW is a huge car with a powerful engine so of course u wont feel anything if the BMW is travelling at 150km/hr since its top speed is around 240-260, whereas the proton is a rather small car with a less powerful engine, so travelling at 150 km/hr it would experience some sort of shaking coz ur probably nearly pushing its engine.
i dunno maybe someone can clarify

CieL

HSC
keyword: "CHEAP"

Yeah engine as mentioned

Also you have to consider suspension. Something like the Evo would have harder suspension to hack fast corners which makes it an ass-sore for everyday city driving..

width and aerodynamics also adds to stability in the car.. do you even realise how wide the 7 series are.. better centre of gravity so it feels more stable

closeness to the ground as mentioned before

I remember when my family took the 'rolla for a road trip.. 3 people and luggage going at 130.. the engine was going URGGHhhhhh........ the car was rattling and I thought the doors were going to fall off..

But my current Euro even though it's a 4 cylinder it's very stable at 120 and it feels like you're going 80.. only bad thing is the Japanese steering at high speeds..

I really envy European cars I really do.. How do they pack all that power in such a little compartment.. plus comfort.. plus luxury..

Bah I forgot what the main point was.. correct me if i'm wrong

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah well if u have the $$$ u could get ur dream european car

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The Evo7 felt pretty 'forceful' on the passengers at high speeds... but it gripped corners well; but nowhere near as nice as the 330Ci. Maybe like you said- the weight of the car has a big impact on the feeling.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
seremify007 said:
The Evo7 felt pretty 'forceful' on the passengers at high speeds... but it gripped corners well; but nowhere near as nice as the 330Ci. Maybe like you said- the weight of the car has a big impact on the feeling.
just a question

how the hell have you been getting to drive all these nice cars? like my friends dont ever let me drive their cars, the only car i ever really drive is mine and occasionally mums and ive driven the instructors car
and one time ive driven the bosses car cause he wanted me to pick up something and knew i was a decent driver...but like

say i wanted to just drive some decent cars, how would i go about doing it? i cant wait liek 6 years for when i can afford somethign nice! and i dont think my parents are going to get something good anytime soon

i just wanna have a feel of what a powerful car is like, handling , accel everything for when a car is pushed

CieL

HSC
You see, seremify007 actually doesnt drive all the cars he mentions...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What Ciel said is right- these are just various cars parked at my cousin's place and we tend to go out in a different car everytime we go out depending on mood (sometimes the GTR, sometimes a 3/5/6/7 series, sometimes the S500/CL55, sometimes evo, sometimes 300zx/z33, etc..) and since they are all street racers, they drive pretty hard even when just going out to buy groceries and that's how I get to experience it. I've been asked to drive several times (and the first time I drove was actually in m'sia), but I'm not game to do anything like that now.

Ref: http://community.boredofstudies.org/505/cars-automobiles/103084/my-photo-album-various-cars.html

The only car I've been game enough to drive was one of the 740iL's (black one if you are looking at the photo album) which I felt was a bit sluggish- but then my uncle went and showed me that it's a more than capable car *see above pic*.

As for how you can experience it? Umm... go find someone who owns lots of nice cars and become friends with them?^^

CieL

HSC
Most of the cars you listed there are manual.. did they ask you to drive those too?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They offered to teach me manual but... i dont' think it's wise to learn manual in a heavily modified performance car. Not to mention if I **** it up, they'll never let me touch their cars again.

CieL

HSC
bahahha they offered, so it's not your fault if you screw it up

Besides, fixing it won't be a problem for them

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL i'm more concerned about leaving the impression of "He can't drive for ****"... but next time I go back I'll be sure to drive some of the better cars and maybe review them >_>

CieL

HSC
PSSSH

That's not an excuse to not tryyy.. everyone makes mistakes.. maybe even your cousins stalled it when they first went manual..

neways, next time you go malay, remember to take me =]

Mr Will

HSC
loquasagacious said:
'92 Lancer: 240km/h - backroads in the hawkesbury
'91 Camry: 230km/h - as above
'88 Intengra: 220km/h - Monaro highway
'72 Volvo: 175km/h - Hume highway
i do not believe the first two. considering power output and aerodynamics of these cars. a 4age sx seca will nudge 200...both of the first two cars you listed are less powerful

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
After you mentioned it, I also wonder if the '92 Lancer or '91 Camry can reach those speeds... even our heavily tuned BMW 328i was struggly to reach the 230 mark on plain stretch highway. Unless there are certain modifications to either of those cars we are unaware of?

Jiga

i do not believe the first two. considering power output and aerodynamics of these cars. a 4age sx seca will nudge 200...both of the first two cars you listed are less powerful
After you mentioned it, I also wonder if the '92 Lancer or '91 Camry can reach those speeds... even our heavily tuned BMW 328i was struggly to reach the 230 mark on plain stretch highway. Unless there are certain modifications to either of those cars we are unaware of?
Lol yeah exactly right. 92 Lancer no way on earth gets to 240km/h, even with some mods I recon you would struggle to pull 220km/h.... even the more recent Lancers like the MR with a 1.8L engine in a coupe form couldnt do anywhere near that.

Same for the 91 Camry doing 230km/h, Ive got a Toyota Vienta which is a 3L V6 and I recon you'd be lucky to do that speed in it let alone even get to 200km/h.... but like what a 2L 91 Camry has no chance of doing that!

Top speed for me is currently 135km/h on the M5, not very high but Ive only had my car for a short time. The dumbest thing Ive done was doing 120km/h in a 50 zone, even now I look back and think how stupid that was.

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
Although the new Lancers have the 2.4L engine- any word on how good they are?

as shit as the model before, and the model before that, and the one before that. there is one mitsubishi worth buying - the evo. they do not make good small cars.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
92 Lancer no way on earth gets to 240km/h
hehe.. unless it was downhill

I remember I suddenly got to 150 going downhill and I'm like oh shit! *pulls back*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)