Top 200 ranked Universities in the world (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
The Times Higher Education Supplement (November 5th 2004) have released their top 200 ranked universities in the world.

Australian Unis:

ANU is the top ranked, at 16th place
Melbourne Uni is second, at 22nd place
Monash Uni is third, at 33rd place
UNSW is fourth, at 36th place
Sydney Uni is fifth at 40th place
Queensland Uni is sixth at 49th place
RMIT is seventh at 55th place
Adelaide Uni is eigth at 56th place
Macquarie Uni is ninth at 68th place
Curtin Uni is tenth at 76th place
UWA is 11th at 96th place
UTS is 12th at 113th place
La Trobe is 13th at 142nd place
Tassie Uni is 14th at 161st place

no UWS or UOW

I'm waiting for santaslayer and natstar to chime in with a thesis of explanation :p

The full list is attached.

Edit: actually, not it's not because some motherfuck made the size limit 195kb and the article is 330kb. The only place the pdf is hosted online is here and you have to register to see it.

Here's a source though:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Top-marks-six-unis-in-world-elite/2004/11/05/1099547388206.html

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm, interesting. Macquarie is higher than UTS.

But that's expectable, since they're 40 years older. :)

Very interesting list.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
natstar - try to ignore it all
I can sometimes see that people try to bait you into UWS arguments, don't worry, they're just doing it on purpose.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yay go macquarie

yeh i always thought macquarie and uts were around the same and yeah dey are :d whoo hoo go me!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
About La Trobe, I think the Bundoora campus in Melb is pretty good, but then they have shit campuses (like the Albury Wodonga one) as well.... so that might explain it.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Macquarie was probably be higher than UTS because of it's post-graduate studies (like MGSM) which are meant to be very good (my dad's MBA is from there and he had a choice apparently)

Universities aren't just for undergraduates, they're for post grads, researchers, etc..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes the MGSM at Macquarie is among the absolute best in the region (ie this half of the world). They also have a strong humanities research thing going, and a solid 50 ish years of published material (compared to UTS' 13, and UWS'...I don't know).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
56th? damn.. still top 8 at least :p at least justifies the Go8 title.
but beaten by RMIT ?

santaslayer

HSC
golfstick said:
The Times Higher Education Supplement (November 5th 2004) have released their top 200 ranked universities in the world.

Australian Unis:

ANU is the top ranked, at 16th place
Melbourne Uni is second, at 22nd place
Monash Uni is third, at 33rd place
UNSW is fourth, at 36th place
Sydney Uni is fifth at 40th place
Queensland Uni is sixth at 49th place
RMIT is seventh at 55th place
Adelaide Uni is eigth at 56th place
Macquarie Uni is ninth at 68th place
Curtin Uni is tenth at 76th place
UWA is 11th at 96th place
UTS is 12th at 113th place
La Trobe is 13th at 142nd place
Tassie Uni is 14th at 161st place

no UWS or UOW

I'm waiting for santaslayer and natstar to chime in with a thesis of explanation :p

]
1) Well there isn't much explanation other than to say that I could find another source which indicates that UoW is in fact the most highly ranked university in all of Australia (and someone has. They've posted it up before :uhhuh:). I would like to firstly challenge the source. :)

2) What did this study involve? How were the universities measured? What type of criterion did they use? Who was on the ''research committe''. I would also like to challenge the researchers. I would do a thorough check on each of their backgrounds. ..ahaha..:p

3) Did the research involve undergraduate courses only or was it soley on postgraduate degrees? There is a big difference. I would do Forensic Accounting @ UoW, but never an LLM. I'd choose UNSW. :)

4) Wouldn't a further, more in depth study on the ranking for each course of each specific university be more appropriate? The commerce side of my degree may be dragging the LLB side down.

5) Why is natstar pissed already? :uhhuh: :p :uhhuh:

I will not accept Golfstick's thread until I get appropriate answers for each of my queries. Start typing golfstick. :p

EDIT: I'm sure Asqy would like to challenge Macquarie's undergraduate LLB as much as I would. :p

EDIT 2:

Please explain the consecutive wins of the prestigious University Award by UoW.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i wonder when you will stop slobbering all over your uni (yes u santaslayer!). I mean, yeah it has awards but thats mainly in postgraduate research...otherwise it sucks. You don't see me harping on about my uni now do you?
I'm sorry if it's offensive but I think you need to accept not only credit, but criticism where it's due.

mishka

HSC
N/A
or ACU... these lists seem to be an excuse to emphasise "prestige" when that's not the most important thing about universities... :uhhuh:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
200 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute US 24 19 9 9 38 102.9

1 Harvard University US 643 17 17 50 243 1000.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)