Too many lawyers? (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Do you think that studying law is kind of pointless considering how overly populated the 'law' career sector is? Are there simply too many lawyers and wannabe-lawyers for the demand of the Australian public? I mean - sure we need lawyers, but do we already have too many?

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Re: Too many laywers?

Consider the amount of disputes that occur each day, consider the ques to get to court, consider that the work of a lawyer encompasses that of huge array of other occupations and then realise that there can never be enough lawyers!

and don't give me a stack of bullshit statistics either -_-'

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC

nandayo said:
Do you think that studying law is kind of pointless considering how overly populated the 'law' career sector is? Are there simply too many lawyers and wannabe-lawyers for the demand of the Australian public? I mean - sure we need lawyers, but do we already have too many?
Never
Of course theres room for lawyers

its not pointless studying law

I find it really interesting and I enjoy it

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

Once you take into account concepts such as 'conflict of interest' (especially in relation to small, rural towns), couple that with the number of people leaving the profession, the demand for graduates from large firms (and others), and the number of people who study law who don't actually go on to practice (roughly 60% I'm pretty sure), you can start to see why there will never be 'too many lawyers'. Not in the next ten years or so, anyway, which is good enough for me.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

nandayo said:
Well there is not an overpopulation of lawyers, I don't know how you formed that conclusion.

And as was mentioned above, there is a hell of a lot of movement in the legal sector, both between law firms and between firms and in-house legal practices within businesses.

Australian lawyers are actually quite in demand at the moment, and many are finding positions overseas.

L

littlewing69

I don't think 1 more will make that much of a difference.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Jobs forecast sunny for 2007

25 January 2007 - Lawyers Weekly

LAW FIRMS will need to find creative ways of attracting and retaining staff as the employment market for lawyers continues to thrive in 2007.

Recruiters predict this year will be just as competitive as 2006, meaning strong candidates will be highly sought after as lucrative opportunities overseas continue to fuel a mass exodus of local talent.

Lawyers at the two- to six-year level will be most in demand according to Rosemary Galic, senior consultant (NSW) Private Practice and International at Mahlab.

"A lot of lawyers we’re dealing with are Generation Ys and the strong ones are never on the market for very long. Firms have had to pick up the pace and act quickly. Some of the strategies the firms have adopted include increasing the involvement of partners in the recruitment process;, offering candidates the opportunity to meet with their teams; responding to individual requirements by taking into account their motivators; offering flexible work arrangements; secondment opportunities and new opportunities for promotion," she said.

Performance-based bonus incentives, attractive relocation packages and sign-on bonuses are also being used to sweeten already competitive offers. [...]

- Full Article

L

littlewing69

derek.wong said:
Naturally, the key word in that is strong candidates...

When have weak candidates ever been highly sought after?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A law degree is useful for many careers and if I look around my law classes there were a variety of ambitions held by my friends, one friend wants to teach law another wants to work for something like the UN etc... yes a lot of us want to be lawyers but a lot don't and most of us just enjoy what we are studying..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Yeah I'm suprised by the number of people doing law who don't want to be lawyers
I've found there is quite a lot of them!

volition

arr.
HSC
littlewing69 said:
When have weak candidates ever been highly sought after?
Well you're using pretty strong language there, but it's possible that in an industry with very high labour demand, the weaker candidates are "more able" to scrape through and get a job.

L

littlewing69

volition said:
Well you're using pretty strong language there, but it's possible that in an industry with very high labour demand, the weaker candidates are "more able" to scrape through and get a job.
Of course. But isn't that more likely to be a temporary situation?

Yeah I'm suprised by the number of people doing law who don't want to be lawyers

*slowly raises hand*

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
If there's such a high demand for good lawyers, then why the ridicolously high UAI? :confused:

L

littlewing69

S1M0 said:
If there's such a high demand for good lawyers, then why the ridicolously high UAI? :confused:

The two aren't directly linked. Anyway, the lesser law schools have quite forgiving cut-offs.

Last edited by a moderator:

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
goan_crazy said:
Knowing the law is always advantageous, or rather having a familiarity with its foundations and principles. Basically if you know your rights and know how to access pedantics (sections of acts and the like) your position and understanding of society can only benefit. One of the first things we learnt was how long and expensive litigation is, yet every person without a legal understanding cries "sue! SUE!!" at the drop of a pin. If I wasn't to go into law as a practice (which remains a possibility) I'd see this as the main advantage of having studies law

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
If the weather is sunny, why is John Howard bald?

I don't understand the relevance of a high UAI and a good demand for lawyers..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)