To the stooges who wrote more than 8 pages per question (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
This conversation is amusing.

Everyone is repeating the same old same old.

konggo

HSC
myg0t said:
This tells me two things,
1. You have written absolute garbage, quantity not quantity. How the hell can you write a band 5/6 essay that completely adresses all aspects of teh question in the given time frame.

2. You have extremely large writing and/or fat fingers

I think if BOS would have wanted you to write more in the first place, the examiners would have provided extra booklets initially.

If i were an english marker, 9pm on a friday evening well then its good night sally horn if you think they'll be bothered reading through it all...

hey fat people cannot help have fat fingers...and yeah a lot of people did a lot its possible its just that well...u have to be GEEK or rite like crap

oh yeah

nazi supermen are our superiors

Stilla

NNGHHH
HSC
There's 3 types of people who go into second booklets for the time constricted modules test.

#1: People like a friend of mine who do 4 words per line, whereas i do 9-10, so if i can write 7 pages, yeah they're going to need a second booklet, or a third if they happen to fall into number # and...

#2: People like a lot of the top english students at my school who are just nuts, studying 12 hours a day, literally training their writing skills so they can write 2000 odd words in the 40 minutes, and who are just really fucking good at english. If they ask for a second booklet even with tiny handwriitng, you can bet your ass they're not waffling on.

#3: People who like quanitty over quantity whom i've never encountered. (At my school people who are not very good at english don't bother paraphrasing for 2 booklets worth)

#1 and #2 would easily be the most common.

Jezzabelle

ok well i went to a transformations lecture these hols and the teacher who was a senior marker and had been for years, said, that some students can write whole booklets and get in D range and others can write 8 pages and get in the A range.... so yeh.. doesnt matter its about quality. sure you can write two booklets telling the story but you wont get many marks... ppl with SEXY paragraphs etc get the marks

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Well its in the criteria that you have to write a sustained response. Obviously the more you write the more sustained your argument will be. This bullshit about quality over quantity is idiotic. Someone who writes 3 pages, no matter how great it is will not get above a C generally. Remember, they only have 4 minutes on average to mark each paper, so coherency in that situation is sub-ordinated to presenting lots of info, with integrated concepts etc. They wont be looking for quality like in Trials and internal exams due to time constraints.
I write non-stop, as fast as possible for the full two hours. And i write shitloads. If youre slow thats obviously a constraint, not matter what quality your response is.
This whole quality over quantity argument is retarded. The other people doing well in english at my school all wrote 10+ pages for each section and ill be fucked if theyre not going to get B6's. Seriously quality and quantity matter just as much in the HSC, whether you like it or not. Its the nature of the syllabus and the marking guidelines.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
mm yeh but looking at the standards packages from last year (in that book thing) people who got band 5/6 all seemed to have written 11-13 pages
but yeh it has to be a large quantity of quality as my teacher says lol

coroneos

uhmm 8 pages can u get u full marks for everything, they mark on how concise it is dont they :(?

BlindGuardian

if u cant get band 6 by writing 8 pages...then theres sumthing really fukd up about this syllabus

masteraal

myg0t said:
This tells me two things,
1. You have written absolute garbage, quantity not quantity. . How the hell can you write a band 5/6 essay that completely adresses all aspects of teh question in the given time frame.

2. You have extremely large writing and/or fat fingers

LOL thats funny.... Quantity not Quantity...

LOL im soo god damn bored..

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
hmm... i reckon you could have a reasonably sustained response in around 8 pages and obviously more.. but i heard some guy wrote a total of 47 pages in his AOS exam.. no one can honestly believe that that amount isnt ridiculous!?

if uve explained everything and answered the question, WHO THE HELL CARES HOW MUCH U WROTE?? (unless its something like 47 pages.. then u can start bitching lol.. bet u HE had fat fingers!!)

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
superbird said:
heh. now look who's the stooge ;p
Yeh i guess i am eating some of that humble pie right about now.

However, i still stick to my original argument.

Writing excessive pages is going to ruin a quality argument once it is seen that your just babbling on, you wont know it till you get your marks back. As for those few freaks, let them be im not bothered.

Logix

so y do u care if ppl who write alot supposedly waffle on and hence get crap marks? shouldnt u b happy? obviously by complaining bout it, u r jealous :p

tennille

HSC
As long as you know what you are writing about, in good detail, the length doesn't matter. Obviously it would be better to have 6 pages than 3, but just because somebody writes so many pages doesn't mean they are waffling on. If they can write that much in 40 minutes, than why not do it.

cameron0110

HSC
It seems weird that some people are complaining that 40 minutes is not enough time to write about all we need to write about and others are talking about how you would be waffling if you wrote heaps. I wrote about 11-12 pages for each of the essays and I had to cut out a lot of what I wanted to write because of time restrictions plus surely its better for quality and quantity (although I'm not sure how great quality my essays are but i'll find out sooner or later)

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
myg0t said:
Thing is with planned responses, you have to be sure that your answering the question. Sure you have your pre-planned ideas and certain paragraphs which can be adapted to any question but if you've just written out a whole pre planned essay how can you be so sure?

ay_caramba: I wrote a good 6/7 pages for each essay - it was quality, it probably wont get me a band 6 but it will go ok, i just get frustrated when i see people asking for more exam booklets - uneccessary.
lol its easier than u think man :D . i planned everything i was gonna write in the bnw/br essay based on my 17/20 trial mark with the addition of a few more techniques n links and just adapted the topic sentence to suit the question. thank god it was an essay we had to write otherwise i'd have been screwed..i did manage 7.5 pages for it so i rekon it was good s**t.....at least i hope it was

Heks12

Meeeeee
HSC
2 things - (and these are not relevant for people who have very large handwriting,skip every second line etc)

1: A booklet is 8 pages long. U are giuven one per question. Therefore, you are not EXPECTED by the examiner to write more than that per question if u have average sized handwriting.

2: English is not a speed writing excerise. A 100% (full marks) answer is achievable and expected to be achievable by the markers. This means that once again ur not EXPECTED to write at a speed writinging level.

This all means that markers dont give a rats how long ur essay is as long as its good. I wrote <900 words (5-6 pages max - cant remeber) for the trials and got 15/15 for journeys essay. If u write double that in an exam, then fine ur trying to make sure u get all the marks, but it probably shows ur not being concise and wasting ur enegry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)