to stay or not 2 stay (1 Viewer)

mentallyblonde

JeSs - mentallyblonde
HSC
i dont know if i should stay in ext. in my first and only assesment so far i got 13/20.
i do 13 units and im really not sure if i should stay in it, i was told that it actually brings ur marks down if you go bad is that true?
anyway any advice or help would be great
:( :confused:

TheKey

HSC
it doesnt bring u down !!!

they take ur best 10 units so u get the best possible mark, if u stuff it up it wont count, unless u stuff up in another subject even more...

trust me when it comes time for the hsc everyone is so nervous and its even worse when u know u CANT stuff up in english because it has to count...while those doing ext1 and ext2, if they stuff up english advanced they can always do well in ext1 and ext2 so that their english advanced mark wont count.

remember that only 2 best units of english must count, so this 1 unit may come in very handy...

its early days yet, the bulk of ur school mark comes in trial so make sure u nail that. good luck

santaslayer

HSC
Eh, You should stay for a while as this is only your first assessment. What you should be worrying about however, is your rank and not the mark itself. At the end of the day, your ranks is the only information your school will provide to UAC.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
if you like ext and think u can do better stay.
but if u like hate it and think u suck then talk to ur teacher and go ... maybe

dollparts

this above all else?
HSC
i suppose if you're wasting time and energy on a subject that won't count, especially if you're doing 13 units, it's probably not a bad idea to drop. still, we're so close to finishing now that you may as well keep going. i dunno when you posted that first one, and you might've dropped by now, but i'm a bit slow to these kinds of things

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
i would have dropped down to 11, cos 13 units are a hell lot of units!

HSC
Originally posted by mentallyblonde
i was told that it actually brings ur marks down if you go bad is that true?
no...
extension english is not scaled downwards...
they are scaled like rubber bands... the further up you are to the top, the crazier they scale you... but the further at the bottom you are, they scale you tiny amounts... but tiny amounts (upwards)... so it's a matter of whether you get brought way way up, or just a tiny bit...

weird analogy, i know... but it works for me...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
although its true that ext eng scaling shouldnt come into ur decison, think about ur rank and how u thought u went in the assessment - ie. did u think that ud gone really well, or did u not really put much work in and deserve the mark (for whatever reason?). its just, if u think ur not going to do well (ie, u though u were going really well but ur not), maybe its better to drop it - you'll still be on 12 units after all, and 13 is a lot of work, especially since the 1unit extension subjects still basically have the workload of the 2unit ones! but, if u really like ext eng, stick with it and work on improving ur mark - if u like the subject it shouldnt be too hard. anyway, dont beat urself up about one assessment dude - how did every1 else go anyway? coz, like santaslayer said, its ur rank thats the most important, not ur mark, so if every1 went about the same as u, then its not such a big deal. cheer up!

asha_ramirez

HSC
Originally posted by mentallyblonde
i dont know if i should stay in ext. in my first and only assesment so far i got 13/20.
i do 13 units and im really not sure if i should stay in it, i was told that it actually brings ur marks down if you go bad is that true?
anyway any advice or help would be great
:( :confused:
I did 13 units for year 11 anyway, but I'd stick with english extension 1, if I were you.

owoodley

English extension is a great course, much more preferable than English Advanced/Standard.... stupid compulsory courses....

owoodley

asha_ramirez

What courses did you do in yr 11 to make up 13 units? I was in the same boat with:

English Ext
English Adv.
Modern History
Ancient History
Aboriginal Studies
Software D & D
Visual Arts

and I was doing Society and Culture but dropped that fast.... very fast....
It's a shame History Ext isnt offered in Prelim. otherwise I would have been set!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what do you think of eng adv? because if you hate it you might be happy to have 1 unit of ext counted instead of adv. i would keep it. i liked the course and there wasn't too much to learn and i suprised myself in the end. don't let one assessment get you down. also don't think of the mark but of the class where you were and their abilities and talk to the teacher if you really want to drop.

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
I would stick with it. I came within inches of dropping it and my teacher talked me into staying (after dropping ext.2). I did almost no work all year and ended up with 46/50, but even if you don't go that well it definitely doesn't pull your marks down. And besides, you're doing 13 units! If you go terrible they won't count the mark anyway so what have you got to lose?

mentallyblonde

JeSs - mentallyblonde
HSC
hey guys
i havent given up YET lol. na most ppl got better marks than me in the 1st assessment but in our last one i got 18/20 i was so happy, most of the class got around the same mark.
the problem is i havent organized my realted material properly. i got one definite
8 femmes (french movie)
and an agatha christie
bone collector
CSI
thats the problem so much work too little time, oh well, only a few months to go
good luck everybody

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hi everyone

I'm a new member and I'm in the same boat as well and I've just finished Year 11 exams. I'm doing 12 units but the choices for Year 12 haven't come in yet....

Anyway, I'm considering 4 Unit Maths, does that scale better than 3 Unit English cos I really HATE 3 Unit English? Everyone says to keep it but my mark is just shocking (30/50 all year????!!!!!!) and it wouldn't have been so bad except all my other marks I'm sure with a little effort could just (and I mean just) touch the 90's. Like, if I'd been achieving 60% all the time in other subjects I wouldn't care but since I'm in this position....

Help!!!!

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)