Tips on studying for maths for the next 17-18 days?? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Understand why you doing each step in the problems. Don't just memorise how its to be done, understand. For my trials I practiced the day before, got 95%.
That's so much easier said than done.

jamesfirst

HSC
oo??? what type of practice did you do the day before basically??
you must nail past papers. heaps and heaps.

mainly focus 8-10 questions cos they are hard as fk. lol

btw do u know who I am??? as in how I look.

mathemalia

HSC
oo??? what type of practice did you do the day before basically??
The important thing wasn't what I did the day before because I just reviewed some potentially hard questions. The point I was making is that if you understand your work enough and you understand every step in your working out, then you don't have to prepare so heavily. I know people who do like tonnes of papers, but they are doing maths in mechanical way. That's gonna get you nowhere. Maths is about understanding the problem and understanding your way of doing. This is why proofs are always good to look at. This is a simple example, but example nonetheless:

Gradient of line may be defined as: the change in rise over the change in run. That's understanding the work. But you see heaps of people memorise: y2 - y1 / x2 - x1 ... when a question comes, and they have labelled the axes no longer x and y, say they have labelled it a and b, if you dont understand what gradient means, your stuck not knowing what to do. But if you knew what gradient was, you'll do the question.

This is of course a ridiculous example, we all know how read our axes and what a gradient is, or i hope we know lol...but that example can go as far as the hardest topic in 2u maths.

i hope this helps.

artosis

HSC
Understand why you doing each step in the problems. Don't just memorise how its to be done, understand. For my trials I practiced the day before, got 95%.
If you still dont understand a particular concept by now. i would reccommend that u should just memorise how its done rather than learning the entire concept. its far too late to still be learning.
rote learn ftw

interesting

HSC
N/A
can't tell the difference between memorising methods and understanding >.>

jamesfirst

HSC
can't tell the difference between memorising methods and understanding >.>

Permutations... you don't really learn methods but you have to think and understand the concept... that's why I fail. I just don't get the whole concept.

DAMN YOU PROBABILITY!!!!!

kangy93

HSC
Sorry for the late reply.. I recommend you look at past papers and filter out the ones you see occurring frequently that you can't do. Re-learn the concept if you don't know it. If you are relying on previous questions (Before 5 or 6) to save you, I strongly suggest you develop some exam skills to prevent silly mistakes. Type things in the calculator, where you get 'simplify' questions to make sure you get it right, and reverse your working out in calculus questions to see if you have done it correctly. It might seem like a waste of time, but if you're not planning to touch questions 6 and onwards, it will be making the most of what you CAN do in that time.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for the late reply.. I recommend you look at past papers and filter out the ones you see occurring frequently that you can't do. Re-learn the concept if you don't know it. If you are relying on previous questions (Before 5 or 6) to save you, I strongly suggest you develop some exam skills to prevent silly mistakes. Type things in the calculator, where you get 'simplify' questions to make sure you get it right, and reverse your working out in calculus questions to see if you have done it correctly. It might seem like a waste of time, but if you're not planning to touch questions 6 and onwards, it will be making the most of what you CAN do in that time.
lol i can touch until 9 :).

But yes i do make silly mistakes here and there.

My max i got so far was 100/120 from the pastpapers. T.T

I got really bad exam skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)