Tips from 2012 HSC students to 2013 students (1 Viewer)

Riaa

HSC
Don't do last-minute assignments like I did. Bad, bad, bad :p
This is the year to abuse your teachers, make sure you ask questions when you need clarity or are unsure.

For economics, I suggest to revise over concepts and always be up-to-date with the latest stats. Especially, when exams come around, spend a few moments to look at important stats or trends (eg interest went up down, GFC, etc). Stats + trends are important. With calculations questions, make sure you understand the processes behind them as markers like to throw people off with unnecessary data. Best way to cram for economics would be to do as many short answers as possible (credits to Leading Edge) and know the structure for what makes a great essay.

Mathematics: Homework, homework, homework. Generally, maths homework will dominate majority of the time. Do it! Don't let it pile up on you. Past papers are the best for exams! If you run out of time (procrastination and being lazy), chapter summaries questions are the way to go. For 2U you can get a band 4/5 from simply doing 'monkey see, monkey do' ie know your processes well. Avoid silly mistakes in process questions.

English: Avoid Sparknotes or whatever it is. All you need is the prescibed text and your brain. Read the actually novels at least once (attempt to at least)! I'm not sure if it's still belonging next year, but keep your eyes out for potential related texts for your modules.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll give advice for the subjects we have in common.

Economics: I didn't like this subject until HSC exams which sounds weird but in studying it for the last time, it made me realise that it's taught me so much. You can apply your theory to the "real world". I subscribed the AFR but you can read up on SMH Business Day or The Economist. What I did was scan through the paper each day and snipped out and highlighted the articles which dealt with economic theory. Eg. WTO Doha Round. There are some really good stats you can get from this as well as furthering your understanding on theory content. Many people say what differentiates the good from the best is the inclusion of stats, and relevance to current economic news in your essays. Just a tip.

I did English advanced but I found/find this to be the hardest to study for. I just didn't really the course structure. I'm not sure if I'm in the position to give you tips because it's not my best subject but make sure you read/watch each of your texts at least twice.

Maths: I really like studying for maths because my main maths study is past papers. If you pay attention in class (which you should), then the theory should be ingrained in your head. I did write notes just in case if I had to refer to them. But timed past papers are fun. I'm probably the only person saying this.

Also, some final things. I never consistently revised my content. I would just take notes in class and it would be packed in a folder or workbook which only would be revised in lieu of exam blocks. I didn't have the motivation to do this but of course it is a great idea. Even if you aren't revising much each school night, it all adds up in comparison to someone who would only thoroughly study before exams. Also, since you're part of Gen Z, you'd probably be using your laptop a lot. For essays, don't do this. I know it's very appealing to type up an essay but you need to use of hand. LOL.

If you try your best, you'll have no regrets. I think it's really hard if you've just started Year 12 to immediately work hard to sustain this for the entire year. You'll learn what's right and wrong for you over the year. Be pro-active. Don't cut your social life (well my social life involves watching my favourite television shows) but there's absolutely no need to drop things you love in order to do well. I know someone who did 15 hours worth of extra-curricular each week during year 12 and he is doing really well. It's because he has no time for procrastination. Maybe think about that as crazy as it sounds.

Goodluck!!

Memento-mori

HSC
For individual subjects:
-Legal Studies: Be informed. Watch the news, read articles, do your own research about your elective topics (in my case, World Order and Family), watch Four Corners. I personally loved Legal, its my favourite subject. Know heaps and heaps of articles, legislations- it's not about notes sich as What motivates someone to committ crime? But more, examples in the media or history of crime being committed. It's a subject where if you love criminology, law, sociology... you will do well. It's alot of rote learning, but considering the relevance of what you are learning, it's okay.

-Food Technology: To succeed in Food Tec, you need to have technique, whether it's the practical assessments or the exams. Because, sadly, on the surface, food tec is the most basic subject alive, yet to constitute a 40/40 portfolio and food product, it really has to be D.T major work standard. I personally hated food tec, and hence, did badly. Heaps of rote learning about organic farming, FSANZ (after Monday, I never want to hear that word again), nutrition (which is actually good topic, if you have an interest in health).

-General Mathematics: For those struggling (like I did), try to use the concepts and put them into practice. For example, error measurement, which is a bitch. Think of a time when it is used: for example, Arront's biscuits spent millions of dollars to achieve product consistency. To avoid having biscuits that were burned, not enough cream, etc. Due to how the are manufactured, product consistency is broken down into mathematics. Also- heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps of past papers. To avoid silly mistakes. That's honestly, the difference between a 58% and a 88% in some cases.

-SOR II: Know your sacred texts, really well, inside and out. Know the history and the development of your three religions, significant figures. For Aboriginal Spirituality- it's short answers and multiple choice. Get to the point quickly, and to brush up on your multiple choice, practice on the Board Of Studies website. That turned my 11/20 into 19/20 :)

-Advanced English: This subject is a complete bitch. I hate it. it sucks. Just, err.... read your texts. And whatever you do in your essays, do not use the opening line. Especially if its Pride and Prejudice. So many people do the most obvious quotes, and they are usually the start or end of the novel or chapter.

Overall: There are going to be assessments when you are disappointed. This happens to everyone. If you tried your hardest, do not beat yourself up. You did everything you could. Consistency is the winner in the HSC.

ahdil33

HSC
Never do homework if possible. Honestly, stop wasting your time studying so much, and learn the best way to study, the most efficient way, most people have no idea how to study smart.

Mathematics - don't waste time doing heaps of textbooks, or even all questions in one textbook. Have a firm understanding of the theory, do one-two questions, then do topic by topic past papers. this is proven to work. Buy cambridge because it has the best explanations and the questions help understanding.

Economics - don't waste your time reading newspapers and memorising random statistics. the dumb people things to do for economcis...learning random theories that aren't needed, thinking that talking about the twin deficits theory makes them smart...honestly just read the textbook, understand it, make notes/find amazing notes which cover every syllabus dot point. then again go topic by topic doing the past papers. this will see you set for multiple choice and short answer, but not the essays. for the essays write essay plans for heaps of questions and get them checked out, memorise RELEVANT stats and points for your essays. Don't search for current stuff randomly, only search for it when you NEED IT. if you're writing an essay plan about the environment, THEN you can go and find a statistic about the carbon tax. DO not memorise economics essays, at worst learn the plans really well, with understanding you'll be able to write heaps of the top of your head. study the essay plans of the pros and make yours like them.

english - if you're a lazy cunt like me never read the books, just find people's analysis/essays, turn it into an essay with a very broad thesis and then memorise and adapt. you can't fail. Else do what normal kids do, like read the book and analyse it or whatever. make sure you understand what makes a good essay, what each module wants etc, the rubric etc. practice adapting your thesis again and again.

Legal studies, business - see Eco.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Economics - don't waste your time reading newspapers and memorising random statistics. the dumb people things to do for economcis...learning random theories that aren't needed, thinking that talking about the twin deficits theory makes them smart...honestly just read the textbook, understand it, make notes/find amazing notes which cover every syllabus dot point. then again go topic by topic doing the past papers. this will see you set for multiple choice and short answer, but not the essays. for the essays write essay plans for heaps of questions and get them checked out, memorise RELEVANT stats and points for your essays. Don't search for current stuff randomly, only search for it when you NEED IT. if you're writing an essay plan about the environment, THEN you can go and find a statistic about the carbon tax. DO not memorise economics essays, at worst learn the plans really well, with understanding you'll be able to write heaps of the top of your head. study the essay plans of the pros and make yours like them.
I think with economics, you need current statistics and to keep up on current economic events, because the subject is constantly changing. However, I do agree in a sense that people shouldnt waste an inordinate amount of time on those sort of things whilst neglecting the theory/past papers. This is a bigger problem in legal and especially modern - where people spend way to much time gathering LCMR and quotes from historians whilst neglecting everything else.

Last edited:

vinhkn

HSC
Stay consistent and efficient with your studies.
You don't have to study hard if you study smart.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Have fun/have a balance in your life. However in saying that, don't leave everything to the last minute

febebebe

HSC
read all your english books in the christmas holidays!!!! u will have too much study to do in other ones to frig around reading a novel. then get a tonne of band 6 essays, use a mix of all their quotes, make a generic essay for each topic and learn it. never do english homework eg writing odd essays that are very niche, and doing questions about a chapter etc. it will get u nowhere. i got 90 in english (was around a 65 in yr 11) and ive written 4 essays all year, no more, and just memorized them. and most of the quotes techniques and ideas were a big mix of essays i got from band 6 students. have 3 options for a creative though, cos as i found this year, they love curve balls. :) and just study subjects you like, because then study wont be such a chore. good luck.

HKspec009

HSC
Time flies. I remember when my english teacher kept on saying 13 months till HSC. Nek minnit--> Shit just got real
In summation....stay consistent. You end up relying heavily on stuff you did during the year.

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Legal - Write a summary on the whole course. Also, try and gather as much updated case studies, legislation and media reports as possible. I wouldn't recommend you search one everyday, but a case studies from 2012 (although 2013 would be better) is all that you are needed. Unless a particular legislation is completely necessary, include it.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!!! write practice essays

Mathematics: Read and understand the techniques used in each question. After that, just do past papers.

Economics: Watch the news. 8D

Currybear

HSC
Would you guys recommend staying up late to revise for a test, or wake up early in the morning?

or is it different for each person?

rainn

HSC
Could anyone also provide some tips on the sciences? mainly chem/phys :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Could anyone also provide some tips on the sciences? mainly chem/phys :)
Nail each dot-point, this could mean researching/having a look at a variety of sources. Make sure you stay on top of your practical. Your practical work WILL be assessed in some form, they could be worth up to 25% usually. They will usually ask you to recite what you did in your practical work on a certain topic. Make sure you know the differences between (Accuracy, Reliability, Validity - A past exam asked students how they assessed reliability when they were performing an investigation on the applications of electromagnetic induction. Lastly, make sure you have a look at the HSC Marking Guidelines and make sure you include what they have listed in your response. The weird thing about HSC Physics I found was that from the start to trials you have to do what your teacher wants and between trials and HSC you have to do what the HSC wants.

Start HSC papers early (You'd be surprised at how many people don't do this)

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Oh last thing, you may not believe me now but you will - have an enjoyable year with your friends.

And remember...

Time waits for no one.

Examine

same
HSC
Business Studies:
-Think about what you are going to do for the reading time. I personally go through the whole exam really quickly so I can think about how to answer each question once I get to it and then use the remaining time to answer multiple choice.
-Memorise the syllabus so that if you're stuck on a question you can relate it back to the syllabus and the relevant dot-point then bullshit/write from there.
-If you are in a position where you have 45 minutes left and still haven't started Section 4, quickly conclude and ditch section 3 and start it. The marks you can gain in section 3 if you spend more time won't be worth the marks lost.
-Although it's important to have a fast pace for multiple choice don't throw away marks. MC for this subject is probably the easiest way you could get a mark.

Chong_Boy

HSC
For maths, buy ALL the HSC maths textbooks on the market and do ALL the problems (will cost couple of hundred, but still cheaper than tutoring), then do all HSC maths past papers 1990-2012. Done. Band 6 guaranteed.

ashtheawesome

HSC
Tbh. I set out to do alot this year but didn't achieve but this year was the best for my grades. It was good as in being at school this year was just fun. Though my tip is have fun, but know your boundaries. Have the duality between fun and studying. I did and I dont regret any of it. :D

ashtheawesome

HSC
Would you guys recommend staying up late to revise for a test, or wake up early in the morning?
I suggest studying before you go to sleep. But you can still study in the morning. Apparently studying things before sleeping allows you to retain it more.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

or is it different for each person?
I would set a limit when you sleep the night before and make sure you cannot surpass this. There is a certain amount you can cram the night before, before it becomes a waste of time. My curfew was 11.30 but I usually slept at 10 on normal nights. If I felt the need, I would wake up at 5 to study. But the point is that you try and study consistently and at least a few weeks before an exam because stress is not a nice feeling. It's up to you. Sometimes I felt tired so I slept at 8pm and woke up at 4am. For me, it's following your instinct (which does not mean being lazy) and planning your time as opposed to "cramming". In saying that, I do cram quite a lot because though there is nothing wrong with studying just before you walk into an exam, it's the feeling of stress that can be counter-productive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)