Tips from 2012 HSC students to 2013 students (1 Viewer)

Annalise Maria

HSC
Does anyone have any tips on studying or exam techniques? I am doing English Standard, Mathematics, Economics, Legal Studies and Business Studies. Thanks :) X

medicore

HSC
Study efficiently and effectively from day 1, spend like 2 hours a day of concise solid studying...unlike me who started getting serious near trials time. haha.

kenkap

HSC
study! and also try to be ahead of your school for every subject- it will help A LOT

Blahz

HSC
put in the effort to study from now on consistently until the end of your hsc. My biggest regret was not doing this myself...

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Do like 3 hours a day consistently and you'll be kept in a great position. :)

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
do homework, stay on top of your topics (however much study you need to be confident with the work).
in the weeks leading up to exams make sure you stay on top of your preparation but remember to give yourself time off.
don't pressure yourself to spend too much time early on working since it really isn't necessary as long as you have a good knowledge of your work.
enjoy yourself. this is the last year of highschool, more than likely to be one of the best years of your life so cherish every day because it really goes too fast.
good luck :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have any tips on studying or exam techniques? I am doing English Standard, Mathematics, Economics, Legal Studies and Business Studies. Thanks :) X
Maths- past papers + excercises
ANY english - past papers and practice essays + short stories
Business studies- past papers and practice essays + reports.

eat_well

HSC
Sleep properly, read through your notes before you sleep, etc. I think getting your dot point summaries done should be your first priority.

And the best advice I ever got was to have a functioning printer. It helped out HEAPS.

nightweaver066

HSC
English
- Understand whatever module your doing is about by reading the syllabus rubric. If you don't understand the module, ask your teacher.
- If you still don't have good essay structure, ask your teacher and/or look at other essays
- Practice writing essays and creative pieces and have a teacher/tutor read over and critique them for you to edit, and repeat till said essays & creatives are perfect :)

Mathematics
- Year 11 maths topics are just as important and year 12 maths topics. Don't treat then differently
- If you're having trouble understanding something, don't be afraid to ask your teacher or post on these forums for help
- Practice concepts/topics by tackling questions from textbooks, then past papers until you have a good grasp of it

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yeah, as long as you stay on top of your work nightly (doesn't even have to be nightly, every 2-3 days or so) and you'll be perfectly set for your final exams.

teeah

HSC
Try and like the subjects you do. Like show a genuine interest in it beyond the scope of the syllabus. If you like what you need to study, it just makes the whole process so much easier. :)

enoilgam

HSC
Not a 2012er, but for what it's worth I'll add my two cents. Staying consistent with work/study is pretty much the most important thing you can do. Not only does it help ensure that you are adequately prepared for your exams, but it also keeps your motivation levels high (which is what most people struggle to do). If you are behind on your work, you will become less motivated to do it which is pretty much a self-fueling downward spiral.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Try and like the subjects you do. Like show a genuine interest in it beyond the scope of the syllabus. If you like what you need to study, it just makes the whole process so much easier. :)
Liking a subject makes studying fun.

Seriously.

enoilgam

HSC
Liking a subject makes studying fun.

Seriously.
True - if you enjoy the work you are likely to be more productive (hence why businesses pay millions to design work systems which maximise employee satisfaction and hence productivity).

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
do homework, stay on top of your topics (however much study you need to be confident with the work).
in the weeks leading up to exams make sure you stay on top of your preparation but remember to give yourself time off.
don't pressure yourself to spend too much time early on working since it really isn't necessary as long as you have a good knowledge of your work.
enjoy yourself. this is the last year of highschool, more than likely to be one of the best years of your life so cherish every day because it really goes too fast.
good luck :)
For me, homework was unneccesary and often simply pointless. I just made sure i understood everything :)

Just my point of view

Roscosmos

HSC
Dont study for hours every day you'll burn yourself out, just do 100% of homework and study the week before exams

febebebe

HSC
lol same thing i got told, said id do then never did.. well i did a bit and im happy. but get all ur notes done early, like, if u covered two dot points in school, go home and go over, make ur own study notes etc, to make sure everything sticks

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Study efficiently and effectively from day 1, spend like 2 hours a day of concise solid studying...unlike me who started getting serious near trials time. haha.
Best advice you will ever receive. Don't just say you'll do it, actually do it.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
homework generally made me understand the concepts better, although i really only got homework for physics and maths
For me, homework was unneccesary and often simply pointless. I just made sure i understood everything :)

Just my point of view

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)