Tips for getting full marks in extended response & short answer q's in Geo & Hist (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
Does anyone have any tips for getting full marks in extended response and short answer questions in my Geography and History SC Test?

ubermale

HSC
1) Plan your answer in pencil before you begin, making sure you sketch out all points that you're going to address. Even if it takes 5mins to do, it is pretty much all your work done, the rest is just translating your points into sentences.

2) Put different points in different paragraphs and make sure that at the end of every paragraph that you link the point you're making directly back to the question.

3) Don't stress if you don't know the exact date that something happened, just write an estimate of the date because getting the date wrong will not lose you marks, but putting in a date will give your answer a more sofisticated tone.

4) Keep it simple. Don't write too long about one point - a paragraph should be no more than five sentences, so you should only put in the information that helps answer the question.

5) Don't be afraid to enter in some of your own general knowledge. Many people are afraid to discuss what they haven't learnt in class, but if you're naturally knowledgable about a topic or have done some of your own research then why shouldn't you include it?

6) Don't make examples central to your answer. Your answer should be answering the question; that is the goal. Examples should be used to support your arguement, but your answer should be able to stand independently without examples. Examples should more be thought of as 'evidence' rather than a more central theme of the answer.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Read the question 10 times.

READ THE VERBS.

That is all.

And, don't study.

becvee

HSC
put a conclusion!
ive found that there is no way you can get full marks if you dont put a conclusion.
:D

speedofsound

HSC
Don't go off topic... it's so easy to go off topic in extended responses for Geography and History.

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
Use the words used in the questions in your answer.
Or as my History teacher likes to say "spoon feed the marker". :)

Kabuzo01

HSC
Try to keep it to year 10 stuff since year 7-9 stuff isnt in the SC anymore, but you can show how it relates to something what you learnt in yr 7-9.

4jess7lov

HSC
lol i got 100 in geo and 99 in history for SC in year 10 :) all my girlies were like wtfffff?

xox jess

ps..the tip is to know the content...thats wat will get u the marks...not other bs tips...just know the content...same as in hsc..all these gay tips...so lame

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
4jess7lov said:
ps..the tip is to know the content...thats wat will get u the marks...not other bs tips...just know the content...same as in hsc..all these gay tips...so lame
Well obviously, but you should actually relate your answer to the question and not regurgitate everything you memorised back onto the page.

HSC
My teacher told us that we have to write pure content that relates to the question: no waffle, no-one cares about your opinion on aboriginal rights and reconciliation

They're all answer the question asked and read it very carefully!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)