Tips for Advanced and Extension English (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
Wanted to ask canditates of last year's HSC their impression about the Advanced English and Extension English paper?
Personally,after having a brief look at the paper, I felt that it was quite staright-forward.
Probably means that our paper (HSC2012) is going to be harder!

One more question :
When the BOS asks you for a 'personal response', i.e. 'What insights have you gained' or 'How has this challenged your perception', do you have to use the pronoun 'I' - most teachers have stressed this, but I'm not just sure.

Any tips or advice you can provide me for Advanced or Extension English would be greatly appreciated:)
Thanks!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For Module B of Advanced (which is most likely where they will ask 'personal response'), you are free to use the first person, or the third person typically used in an English essay. You will not get marked more leniently, or harsher either way. The insights you have gained and your personal response will be apparent through your analysis and synthesis of the text, rather than the superficial use of 'I'. :)

I actually thought the 2012 paper was quite difficult, because they specified particular texts, or sections of texts, to use. However, heaps of people did well, so maybe the BoS marked easier? I don't know.

SanjoyM

HSC
For Module B of Advanced (which is most likely where they will ask 'personal response'), you are free to use the first person, or the third person typically used in an English essay. You will not get marked more leniently, or harsher either way. The insights you have gained and your personal response will be apparent through your analysis and synthesis of the text, rather than the superficial use of 'I'. :)

I actually thought the 2012 paper was quite difficult, because they specified particular texts, or sections of texts, to use. However, heaps of people did well, so maybe the BoS marked easier? I don't know.
That's true! Mod B for speeches, poetry seemed unfair..:) Thanks for the great advice!:)

Bobbo1

HSC
The general consensus was that both papers were generally easier than previous with the exception being module B for advanced which caught a lot of people off guard who had rote learned essays.

plasticities

HSC
Module A and C for me could not have been more perfect, it was essentially what we had been focusing on in class. I did get caught off guard with module B, but like my teacher always said, they can't teach you ever single thing about every single text, so I adapted my pre-prepared response to the question and I think I did pretty good.

Yes, I think it was advised to use the personal pronoun 'I' because apparently there is some requirement that has to be checked, that you are indeed making a personal statement and I think using the pronoun makes it easier for markers to identify that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)