Tips for 2008 HSC Class/Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonkey

HSC
Re: Tips for 2006 HSC Class

Do Ur Homework And Remember........

To Keep It Real Brudda

till02

HSC

Enjoy yourself before u get to year 12!!! That's when it really counts

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

Here is the most Important Piece of Advice!
Always answer every multiple choice question! Dont leave any blank.

I know someone who in Business Studies who got 29/30 in multiple choice exam and the one mark he lost was the one that he didn't answer.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

simonkey said:
Do Ur Homework And Remember........

To Keep It Real Brudda
BAHAHHAHAHAH

can do homie.

Uni

God made me cool
HSC

i've found that actually sitting down with someone perhaps not as bright as you (or someone really fvckin smart if you're that way inclined) and talking and arguing through the points in the syllabus is the best preparation for subjects where you need to write argumentative essays, such as economics, modern history or extension history. frame it like a debate if you must, but i've always found just talking through stuff forms good logic and forces you to use argumentative language.

Facts do not make for good essays. argument does. argument and fact make for excellent essays.

pleasehelpme

HSC

Ok, im actually doing the HSC this year but im nice enough to share a tip with all of you who im competing against for good marks, voice record all of your notes onto a tape and then play it when you sleep, subliminal learning people! I did it before bio (yesterday) and i think it worked!

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Tips for 2007 HSC Class

physician said:
Tips???...I have a very ineterseting tip for u!

Make sure u monitor the "2005 HSC results" , and "2005 UAI's" threads, and be sure to send anyone who's marks are appealing to u, a PM... ask for their e-mail address, add them to ur msn list, U wont believe how helpful these ppl will be!

Last yr the English Ext.2 state topper was a bored member, I sent him a PM and before I knew it, he was on my msn list, and boy was he a great help! awesome bloke!

I also added Laurie field ...lol however until now he's refrained from chatting to me lol (he got a UAI of 100, topping 4 subjects in 2004... also a bos member)...although he did reply to a PM I once sent him!

I added Tempco (UAI of 99.55) to my msn list. He wa a great help throughout the year, always giving me advice whenever i needed it, and best of all he had the marks to back up the fact that his techniques were successful!

Alot of ppl decide to stay away from msn during the HSC yr, however instead of banning myself from msn, i decided to block every single person on my list, except those whom I would chat to for advice and school matters!...By blocking everyone, u delete the risk of being tempted to reply to someones "Hey X how r u?" which generaly extends to a time wasting 1 hour converstaion and by the end of the converstaion ur slapping urslef on the head realising u could have read 40 pages from ur english text, or even solved 2 whole maths excercises.

However, I must admit, i did e-mail a few bos members, and they never replied, but at the end of the day, U cant expect everyone to reply to ur PM's or add u to their msn list... I mean alot of these ppl are bombarded with e-mails and PM's after the HSC results come out...

I mean last yr i was looking at Laurie field's results

engadv: 97
eng ext: 49
maths ext1: 99
maths ext2: 99
physics: 98
lat cont: 100
lat ext: 50
greek cont: 100
greek ext: 50

UAI= 100

I mean as if u wouldnt PM him!!!.....lol

GET ALL THE ADVICE U CAN GET.. especialy from ppl who top the state!...

U'll find that alot of them were consistent.... they werent last minute crammers, they studied day by day, and revised constantly.. thats all it takes... do a little every day, and u'll be set!!!

Acmilan was also a great help (99 in Mathematics, 95 phys, 48/50 (96%) Maths ext.)... he constantly gave me advice and I had a few interesting cnverstaions with him (through PM's) on how he came to get 99 for maths adv. and how he managed to get a state ranking of 3rd in 2004 (for maths)!

Mr EaZy also a great help, achieving 90's in most of his subjects, he helped alot with his physics advice!!!

TRACK THESE PPL DOWN, lol however be patient... and dont expect a 2 page reply, these ppl have lives beyond the HSC lol...!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

monitor the forums like hawks on the 16th and 17th of december!!!...lol

I have a feeling alot of ppl will now disable their PM, and E-mail options lol!!!
Awesome advice.

Missy90

HSC

kafryn_rookie said:
Class of 2005 and previous,

Do your bit and lets help the 2006 HSC class - Post any tips or ideas which you think might help next years HSC sitters...

Lets face it we have nothing to lose, and they have everything to gain. I wish someone had tried to do the same for me, may have made the experience a little better and perhaps easier.

My First Tip:

Create study notes as you go.
seems simple enough, however it is often over looked and left last minute.
If you are able to create them at the end of each chapter or unit it makes studying that much easier, basically because you're not having to spend vital time creating them.

I'll be adding more tips soon. so stay tuned
and if you think of anything whcih may help post and help a fellow student
thanks guys..helps alot..
Good idea..

Wackedupwacko

HSC

the best thing you can do is do whatever works for you. also try to manage your time in a plan and be realistic... you are NOT going to study 5 hours a night (i shall stalk you and beat some sense into you if you do...or mayb not im lazy). if you have bad assessments, dont go emo and start /wrist-ing instead be disappointed but motivated to doing better in your next exams. conversely though if you do well dont be overconfident (thats how i slid down in 4u rankings thanks to my trials x.x, t4: 77%, t1:92%, t2:96%, trial : woeful 68%-those were my internal assessment marks).

learn to cram. its very useful however do not cram on the actual day. if you need to check like a date or something you can but try to keep the actual cramming on the day to zero. this goes for all subjects. however the night before.... is cram session. that being said dont rely on cramming. cramming only works if you have a decent foundation in the subjects.

homework. despite what everyone says about doing all the hw, realistically if you do 3u or more maths chances r hw will start backlogging. so what i suggest is to NOT do EVERY PIECE of hw. by that i mean of course skip a few questions if you find teh topic easy, prioritise your hw based on which one your weak at and most importantly studying prolonged periods everyday has diminishing returns in things learnt.

one of the best methods to revise is to grab a friend or 2 that are similar to your abilities in the subject (or higher if you want to leech) then go thru the dot points one by one and like try and *argue* about it. amazingly you shall find that you will learn stuff out of it. dont consult your textbook unless both you and your friend are clueless.

ads89

HSC

Srixon said:
just bum around all year and take it easy. nah try to do all the homework throughout the yr not like me and it should help study right before exams helps beasue it is fresh on your mind
I don't really think we should be taking advice from a student who finished the HSC almost two years ago and still can't spell " because ".

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

retrospectively, having now finished the hsc, gotten results etc... i have to say, last minute cramming can be a life saver. it's how i managed a respectable mark in maths instead of the fail-at-life result i could have expected otherwise. i would never recommend it as a regular thing. but if you're desperate... it's perfect.

also, take advantage of opportunities for extra work/study/tutoring in subjects that you're weak in or really want to excel in. Our bio teacher constantly offered her services (more intense, specific study and help) towards the end of the year, and i'm sure if anyone in our class had bothered to take her up on it, we'd have done better. not that we did badly, but it really would have helped.

this is for subjects with a practical and theory component, eg dance, music, drama, possibly art as well. Don't let yourself get lazy once the prac part is over, once you've performed your pieces or handed in you BoW or whatever...there is still a theory exam to be gotten through and it's equally important!! im so glad now that i got straight back into theory study once drama prac was over. it pays off. dont get lazy!!

and practice essays. practice them until you are writing them in your dreams. it sounds extreme but you will be so well prepared for your exams, you will kill the hsc.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

Here, here. If you are an effect crammer it can pay off in the end. However that is very dependant on you as a student, as if you have a basis to cram on and pay attention in class and complete all work then you have that understand and you are just refreshing your memory instead of relearning.

Teachers are there to help you even if you think they can sometimes be a hindrance. Try not to fight them and instead work with them, they are here to help you after all.

Start early. Whatever it maybe, assessments, assignments, major works or study start it early. Plan out what needs to be done and by when and do it – stick with it. Because in the end it will pay off and you will be all the better off for it. Although with that being said you probably won’t hinder this advice and will probably be wishing you had come exam\major assessment time.

Before exams don’t get caught up in all the pre-exam nerves. Try to keep to yourself and try not to talk about the subject or it’s content as that will no doubt make you more stressed or get you, your thoughts and knowledge or messed up.

Finally enjoy year 12. It will be a year of many lasts but it can as be a memorable one before you are released into the ‘real world’.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC

Make notes as you go throughout the year, just read and regurgitate what u remeber. Dont think like this either "stuff assesments ill just study for the hsc", cause both your hsc and assesment marks add up for your uai.
So get into it!! good luck

xxxx8888

HSC

write a lot of responses and essays for subjects like ancient history

don't skimp on maths homework ever (once you start . . . you can't stop. example: me)

try to update your syllabus dot points for science subjects on a weekly basis at the least

cramming can turn out to be your lifesaver.

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC

make sure that you UNDERSTAND basically all topics in the course....not like me, when i didn't do my homework for a single topic, and guess what? it was in the HSC exam...

Li Lin Chin

Banned
HSC

What I do: I go over every page of note for Math and Science and make summary and make myself question and answers. Is fun and makes you feel like the HSC writer when you writing yourself questions and it make laugh me!!

:wave: Just some tip

phoebe15

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
Study notes are worthless. As soon as you make them, throw them out. It's the process of making them, not reading them, that helps you learn stuff; if you try to read notes you'll just st are blankly at the page while your mind wanders off and thinks about more interesting things.
i agree. im i yr 12 now. and notes reading them or writting them dont work at all for me, it goes straight through and doesnt stick. which sucks because i do subjects which are all about notes! what else is good cos i need help studying...... should i have already started studying?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

Study for what? It depends what type of studier you are as when you should start. But usually want to be studying a couple of weeks at least before exams.....but that never happens.

Tips oh read this thread there are heaps. Maybe try mind maps, cue cards etc. Make the notes intersting as straight writing notes is pretty boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)