Time to talk ag! (1 Viewer)

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Hey guys we really need a good ag thread! So im here to start it...how did you all go in the half yearlies or assesments or whatever....any comments or study tips or anything...hope to hear from you guys soon.....

Jaydels

HSC
smiley_1001 said:
Hey guys we really need a good ag thread! So im here to start it...how did you all go in the half yearlies or assesments or whatever....any comments or study tips or anything...hope to hear from you guys soon.....
hmmm yes i agree. I went crap in my ag 1/2 yearly, 59.5/80. The ag teachers at our school are so picky!! My teacher said that they're heaps pickier than what Hsc markers are...but I guess they're doing us a favour *sighs*

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Yeah its really unpredictable how hard an exam will be. I did pretty well in my ag exam, but ive still gotta work hard, coz i know the HSC will be harder than that exam. Have u guys done ur product study yet? Im gunna go work on it now, i think its due in about 2 weeks. What product are you all doing? Im doing milk i think.

sazzie

hi

smiley_1001 said:
Yeah its really unpredictable how hard an exam will be. I did pretty well in my ag exam, but ive still gotta work hard, coz i know the HSC will be harder than that exam. Have u guys done ur product study yet? Im gunna go work on it now, i think its due in about 2 weeks. What product are you all doing? Im doing milk i think.
hey hey yeah i did ok in ag i suppose could have done a little better!! what topics is everyone studying atm? i'm currently doing plant and amimal production... is anyone doing a beef production study? i think that im about to start that in the next week so if anyone has any ideas about teh beef industry plz let me know...
thanks all

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
sazzie said:
hey hey yeah i did ok in ag i suppose could have done a little better!! what topics is everyone studying atm? i'm currently doing plant and amimal production... is anyone doing a beef production study? i think that im about to start that in the next week so if anyone has any ideas about teh beef industry plz let me know...
thanks all

heys. our class has done the split into electives and research projects right now - so im guessing we've covered what we're meant to have done already.. hm. for plant and animal we did milk and lamb.. so i wont be much help on beef..

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
Jaydels said:
My teacher said that they're heaps pickier than what Hsc markers are...but I guess they're doing us a favour *sighs*
argh. that's what they all say.. it wouldnt hurt to give us a little of an esteem boost though.. haha..

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Hey! yeah i know a bit about beef production, i have some really good contacts! haha. na really i have a big booklet on market specifications especially for places like woolworths and what the look for in their meat. If anyone wants any info, i might be able to help, just ask : )

At the moment we are doing sustainable land and resource management, just did grapes and all that. After this i think were gunna do horticulture as an elective, and then agribusiness i think, but not sure?????

I really like ag, some people think its all just farmy and all that, but i think the markets for different products can be very interesting, after all its ag that keeps our exports going...so to all those people who think were just ag dags....theres more to it than that!!! haha!

Has anyone done milk as a product study??

Jaydels

HSC
we're doing plant and animal production at the moment. I think we're going to study milk because we had to listen to some dairy farmers guy come and talk about milk production/marketing earlier on in the year and my teacher said something about needing it later. Anyway, I have some notes on the talk so if you want I can go dig them up.

I like ag too! It involves so much more than what most people think it does. I find most of it really interesting. Ag dags........pfft

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
How were ur half yearlies? does anyone want to start a question answer thing for ag? One person asks a question, the next person ansews and asks another question....ill start....
1)name one process in the nitrogen cycle where nitrogen enters soil

Jaydels

HSC
oh yay i like these games....

ammonification:complex organic compounds are decomposed by fungi and bacteria by the process mineralisation. Nitrogen is released as ammonium ions

Q2) Define Net Assimilation Rate (NAR)

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
ok, well...i think NAR = the dry matter production take away the maintenance needs for growth??? i think thats a bit dodgey, but something like that...ill check the text book and get back to u! lol

ok next question....what the is major difference between the way that ruminants make protein and the way monogastrics do?

Jaydels

HSC
smiley_1001 said:
ok, well...i think NAR = the dry matter production take away the maintenance needs for growth??? i think thats a bit dodgey, but something like that...ill check the text book and get back to u! lol

ok next question....what the is major difference between the way that ruminants make protein and the way monogastrics do?
NAR=photosynthesis - respiration.....it looks the same as what you said

um.....well monogastrics aren't capable of making their own protein (or am i confusing this with something else....?) so they need it supplied in their diet. The microorganisms in the rumen of ruminant animals is able to make microbial protein.....

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using native grass species in a pasture system?

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
ok...well

1) advantage...they generally tolerate australias harsh environment in many cases, they are able to withstand dry climatic conditions and little water.
1) disadvantage...they are in many cases not as productive as introduced species, and therefore cannot meet the energy requirements of some animals eg. dairy cattle need high protein and energy.

next question...Explain one advantage and one disadvantage of genetic modification in a specific crop

Jaydels

HSC
Um....i'm not really sure on this one.....feel free to correct me or add any details ive missed...

Bt cotton:
advantage- reduces the need for pesticides which is better for the environment (less chemicals end up in water ways from run off etc), um .....economical (no need to spend money on pesticides)
disadvantage- ineffective when pests become resistant to chemical (??)

next q.....identify products obtained from milk

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
yeah i think the cotton thing is ok

do u mean the products like...butter, cheese,yoghurt, milk powder, cream etc? or something different?? Im not really sure

next Q) identify 2 inputs and 2 outputs on your farm product study.

aerialsprite

AG's one of the easiest subjects to study for. I just did notes for every point on the syllabus and did plenty of past papers. The questions you'll find tend to be pretty typical...

Jaydels

HSC
aerialsprite said:
AG's one of the easiest subjects to study for. I just did notes for every point on the syllabus and did plenty of past papers. The questions you'll find tend to be pretty typical...
yeah they seem to recycle questions a bit. I did some practice papers and came across the same questions in several of the papers.

lib007

HSC
Reply to smiley

hey smiley, to your questions, name to inputs and out puts of your product.
If your talkin bout milk, then to inputs would be feed and veternary checks, and two outputs would be milk and milk by products such as yoghurt, butter etc.
If your product isn't milk, then can i ask, what is it??????
Jaydels, bout your Bt cotton advantages and disadvantages, your spot on, but the whole point of "Bollgard" as it is now called is to reduce resistance towards pesticides. But it is true, if the pest becomes resistant, then there is little protection for the crop against cotton pests. Another advantage is a reintroduction of biodiversity, as the pests that removed the biological pests in the first place will return because there is reduced competition.
if anyone else has any questions, let me no and we'll brain storm an answer i'm sure.
anyway, hope to hear from you smiley, have a good one, cheers, Elizabeth xoxoxo

Last edited:

Jaydels

HSC
lib007 said:
hey smiley, to your questions, name to inputs and out puts of your product.
If your talkin bout milk, then to inputs would be feed and veternary checks, and two outputs would be milk and milk by products such as yoghurt, butter etc.
If your product isn't milk, then can i ask, what is it??????
Jaydels, bout your Bt cotton advantages and disadvantages, your spot on, but the whole point of "Bollgard" as it is now called is to reduce resistance towards pesticides. But it is true, if the pest becomes resistant, then there is little protection for the crop against cotton pests. Another advantage is a reintroduction of biodiversity, as the pests that removed the biological pests in the first place will return because there is reduced competition.
if anyone else has any questions, let me no and we'll brain storm an answer i'm sure.
anyway, hope to hear from you smiley, have a good one, cheers, Elizabeth xoxoxo
ok...thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)