time management @ uni (1 Viewer)

lou071

HSC
N/A
reading through unit of study outline, there are a lot of things like lab work, lecture, tutorial, exam, assignments and seminar etc..

could you please share ANY tips on time management @ uni?

How do you manage time to fit all lecture, tutorial, assignments, studies and social life?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
First of all go to class, it means you will have to study less before exams,

Second do your reading before each class and try to keep up with as much as possible (breaks between classes etc are good times to do it)

Also start your assignments earlier than a few nights before.

Other than that, the best way for you will be learnt and you will get better at it each semester. Reading will take you less time once you know what is most important and learn to comprehend academic writing at a faster speed.

By 2nd to 3rd year I had learnt to manage 2 days work, all my lectures and tutes, extra curriulars and going out with friends. It can be done, you may not see people outside of uni as much but you will still see them. If they are uni students they should undertsand how hard it is and you can usually find something that fits in well with everyone, me and my friends find night times best so we usually do dinner or hang out at eachothers place when we are poor. We also try and fit in beach time etc...

Also don't forget there are holidays, most of us work for most of it but you will find more time then.
Good luck

Last edited:

lou071

HSC
N/A

Second do your reading before each class and try to keep up with as much as possible (breaks between classes etc are good times to do it)

Other than that, the best way for you will be learnt and you will get better at it each semester. Reading will take you less time once you know what is most important and learn to comprehend academic writing at a faster speed.

By 2nd to 3rd year I had learnt to manage 2 days work, all my lectures and tutes, extra curriulars and going out with friends. It can be done, you may not see people outside of uni as much but you will still see them. If they are uni students they should undertsand how hard it is and you can usually find something that fits in well with everyone, me and my friends find night times best so we usually do dinner or hang out at eachothers place when we are poor. We also try and fit in beach time etc...

Also don't forget there are holidays, most of us work for most of it but you will find more time then.
Good luck
can you explain this bit more please?:)

peter2

Banned
HSC
TBH guys, I do not find uni that hard really. I mean you attend uni way less than you would High school and you can choose the classes that you want. I honestly found the HSC wayyy more harder and much more stressful than uni. This is because HSC was soo important and you screw it then no uni for you, embaressment, turn to a big waste of time etc. But Uni is definately managable. Best way of learning especially for lots of theory type work was from the subject textbooks which I done at home. But then again everyone is different so just choose the method you think is right.

It is not as hard as people make it out to be really. Just do the required reading each week and you should be definately fine. The thing about uni for me is that it is fairly easy to pass subjects (getting 50+) but especially at macquarie, obtaining the great marks (75+ distinction, HD) is difficult. Also, the thing with uni is that it is not like the HSC where u can cram cram and get a decent mark. You actually really need to think and understand the questions. If anyone needs further info or advice, let me know. Good Luck all. You'll all be fine!!!

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
can you explain this bit more please?:)
Uni texts are a fair bit more complicated than what people are used to and the amount you have to read is/ can be more than in the HSC (i.e. one of those textbooks you used for high school would only cover a semester and you might be set more than one per subject). It takes a while to get used to the complex language and thus in first year and at the very least first semester you may have to read things a few times or more slowly before you can comprehend them. You will also find that you will get to know what is the stuff that is vital to read so you can skim the rest when you are strapped for time.

This is comming from an Arts/Law student and differs from course to course.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Try to do or at least look at the tutes before going to them. Tutes are more for practising and solidifying concepts learnt from the lecture, rather than just repeating the content.

peter2

Banned
HSC
spread your assignments out over time.
You may have to catch public transport to uni, it's a good time to read your notes and stuff like that (although most people dont)
most unis have heaps of social activities available, heaps of clubs etc etc, so in breaks go hang out in the clubs and whatever.
Uni gives what, 4 maybe 5 months of holidays. It's amazing time to turn your uni acquaintences into friends. Go out to bars etc

hahahahahahaha i absolutely love your signature. Hahahahaha

lou071

HSC
N/A
i heard some students get tutoring at uni, from PhD students or from others.
is that really helpful in achieving D or HD?

Roguedeth

HSC

Good luck
it seems easy but its such a pain in the ass

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Be organised and start everything as soon as possible... never, ever leave assignments or before you know it, they're due in 3 days' time. And try to do as much of the reading as possible.
And expect that you'll end up working a lot harder at the end of the semester than the start, no matter how well-prepared you are.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
i heard some students get tutoring at uni, from PhD students or from others.
is that really helpful in achieving D or HD?
At some point, you've got to start learning by yourself. If you can't do it at uni, you really shouldn't be there.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I've tutored students who are really struggling, but never heard of someone tutoring to get ahead at uni...

lou071

HSC
N/A
Be organised and start everything as soon as possible... never, ever leave assignments or before you know it, they're due in 3 days' time. And try to do as much of the reading as possible.
And expect that you'll end up working a lot harder at the end of the semester than the start, no matter how well-prepared you are.
ok... so there are a lot to do at the end of semester, is it because they allocate final exam and assignment at the end ot semester?

lou071

HSC
N/A
ummm.
i was just wondering if really students get tutored at uni like hsc,.
coz i also think it is waste of money.

and there are some posts from bored of studies webstie that they offer tutoring
to uni students. so..

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Well, there is some tutoring at uni, but it is meant for struggling students - I've never heard of anyone getting tutored in their major. If that were the case, a serious rethink of the path one has chosen in life is required.

lou071

HSC
N/A
ummm... looking at the weekly plan of the subject from uni website,
i get feeling most of the subjects allocate assignment or quiz or
practical lesson so closely...

can't believe how you survive this.:):eek:

jellybelly08

HSC
ummm... looking at the weekly plan of the subject from uni website,
i get feeling most of the subjects allocate assignment or quiz or
practical lesson so closely...

can't believe how you survive this.:):eek:
Could you please stop pressing ENTER in the middle of a sentence.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)