Thoughts on To Kill A Mockingbird? (1 Viewer)

A

Apricot-Angel

I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" for year 10 English and personally, I actually liked it (after the first chapter or so) but other people in my grade reckon the book is "not that great" and is quite over-rated, as in the teachers make it sound like the greatest book of all time.

Personally, what do you guys think of the book..? Is it really over-rated?

nick_pap

HSC
Absolutely not!!! Tis in my opinion the greatest novel ever written, well certainly the best ive ever read. It was the first book that drew me in and captivated me til the very last page. Beatifully written. Masterfully captures the extent of the racial discrimination that permeated early to mid 20th century southern america. Its lessons transcend time and its effect stay with you long after you've put it down. Pity it was Lee's only published novel :(

Aplus

HSC
N/A
A classic can never be overrated.

Zephyrio

HSC
<33333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Loved the book.

If everyone had a dad like Atticus, there would be no war... or hatred, or racism or whatever bigotry humans are capable of.

I also loved the movie.

bleu

HSC
yeah, i love it too.

It's worthy of every compliment it gets.

Foxodi

HSC
TBH I didnt even reach half way through the book... though to be fair, I didn't learn anything in english between yr 7-10, which had a fair amount to do with my attitude to the subject... I simply don't appreciate those kind of things :D (usually)

aikin

HSC
I liked the book- though could understand my friends' difficulty in getting through it. The undercutting tragedy is contextually isolated, in a way, when read by immigrant Australians in a culturally diverse school.

pepsimax4life

Banned
HSC
I liked Boo <3

oh, and the rest of the book was nothing short of awesome too, but my year 10 essays on it always had a paragraph about him. <3

R3volver

Replicant
HSC
An incredible piece of literature by an amazing author. There's a reason that it sold over 30 million copies, and is frequently referenced as one of the best books of the 20th century.

aznboystar

Honourary Azn
HSC
i thought it was going to be another one of those boring old classics we have to study. but i actually got into it and found it mildly interesting. can't say that its the best book i have read, but it certainly is not the worst.
but i just dislike reading really long novels on the whole, much prefer short stories and newspaper articles, cuz i dont like to commit myself to a book long term unless its harry potter which i finish in 2 days neway ^_^

mele-3-4

HSC
when i studied 'to kill a mockingbird' i also found the class saying they found it boring, but i found it fascinating, it is one of those books you can not put down when it draws you in

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
At first I found it boring but I kinda started to show some respect towards it once I critically anaylised it. Usually doing such actions would ruin the book, but it gave me a sense of more understanding of the themes and motifs involved. I respect this book a lot. It was a great book and a great movie.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
it was boring at first but got better. what i didnt like was the way there were so many characters. I couldnt distinguish between them!!

emotikka

HSC
I absolutely adored this book. I loved the characters, the themes and the generalised plot. I adore Atticus :)

rwc

HSC
theshortykatt said:
its a great book, but studying it for english destroys the awesome-ness.

will read it again in a year or two to really appreciate it.

actually i disagree i think that to kill a mockingbird is one of the only books that is so well written even studying it for english doesnt destroy it

I love the dialogue that goes on between jem, scout and dill(if that was his name?) when he first moves into maycomb.. thats the best thing ever!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
In law circles, i am known as Atticus :shy: I also enjoyed the film A Time to Kill (which has many parallels with Mockingbird).

To be serious though, of course Harper Lee's prose fiction is a classic. It is one of the few texts i can think of that is both Gothic in style and uses the genre of bildungsroman (the other one is the feminine bildungsroman of the young Cathy Linton in Bronte's chef-d'oeuvre).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)