Thoughts on To Kill A Mockingbird? (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
It was good in terms of how it was written and the perspectives it showed, but it wasn't my type of book :eek:

lala2

Banned
HSC
I didn't enjoy it that much when I was studying it for English, but I knew that I would have to reread it when a few years had passed by, which I have started doing, and it really is marvellous. I would recommend rereading the texts you studied for English a few years after you've studied them if you think that you might like them (which I did for Mockingbird) because you can really appreciate them for what they are. I think the BOS was trying to foster appreciation for these fine pieces of work by including them in the syllabus, but as everyone is so worried about them there isn't any time to stop and smell the roses.

suzlee

HSC
Not over-rated at all. I'm not a wide reader, but I loved this one :D

sullyman

HSC
I loved the book, its a timeless classic which should be respected by all.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
nerdsforever said:
it was boring at first but got better. what i didnt like was the way there were so many characters. I couldnt distinguish between them!!
You would like the film starring Gregory Peck a lot more in that case.

fallingstar

HSC
I loved the book, its a timeless classic which should be respected by all.
totally agree; how could you not respect this classic, or at least atticus? i want to marry someone like atticus haha

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Its a good book, better then the "Year of living dangerously" that we got this year for yr 11. I swear the Author wanted to have fun and leave parts out.

greekgun

HSC
Haha im glad ive finished hight school. I hated books like this. I dont give a shit about racism or any other type of discrimination. Right through year 1 to 12 all u do is study about discrimination. From yr 1-6 it was mostly about Aboriginals. From yr 7-11 its mostly about racism. And year 12 is just some random shit. They shouldnt force feed students morals and ethics through books in curriculum.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Main reason my GF refused modern history, she didnt want to listen to how abos were put down for 100's of years, she had enough of it in yrs 9-10

tinfoilhat

HSC
Sounds like a keeper.
hahaha

im guessing she didnt actually check the syllabus

i read the book for year 9, it's probably one of the only books i bothered to read for school..
not so sure about the "moral prescribing" but i think it does open up a wider perspective on things

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It's a great book, but the beginning where everyone is introduced is just so boringly elongated...all the good stuff happens near the end

x3.eddayyeeee

HSC
reading it at the moment for year 10 english.
teacher makes it sound like the best novel ever written.
only up to 5th chapter ; pretty dull so far.
however, anticipating better things as the book goes on according to reviews on the internet.

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
They shouldnt force feed students morals and ethics through books in curriculum.

Yes. They should. People are cunts. They need to be taught.

Most school kids will think TKaMB is over-rated. But if they develop a proper appreciation for literature they will typically come back to this book and realise how fucking brilliant it is.

HSC
i read the book for english in year 10. good book. can't say i felt any sort of lifelong attatchment to it though.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. They should. People are cunts. They need to be taught.

Most school kids will think TKaMB is over-rated. But if they develop a proper appreciation for literature they will typically come back to this book and realise how fucking brilliant it is.
This is true.

@ Hello2U2- Hard to believe that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)