Thoughts on BCom at Macquarie Uni? (1 Viewer)

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I know that UNSW has a really good rep for their School of Business, so BCom at UNSW has a really good reputation. I also know that Usyd has a good reputation... kind of... (I hear that recently, it's getting by on its existing prestige...), but when I went to their uni open days, I didn't really think usyd was for me, and UNSW was awesome but an ATAR of 96.30 is a little bit of a stretch for me.

I just had a look at Macquarie Uni's site, and went to their Open Day last year. The accreditation from institutes (e.g. AMI) stood out, and I have several family friends who recently did BCom at Macquarie, did internships, and they're now employed. With an ATAR of 81.00, it's tempting. However, I know that Macquarie's reputation doesn't stand much of a chance against UNSW's business reputation.

I wanted to know what thoughts everyone had? I'm pretty keen on doing an internship, and I think I have a knack for Business Studies (ranking 1st) and just business in general- it's really interesting for me, so BCom appeals to me. I know that Macquarie also has the popular Bachelor of Marketing and Media, and since I was thinking about majoring in Marketing for BCom anyway, this could be interesting, though again, the ATAR's a hurdle (95.10).

Any opinions/experience would be great.
Thanks!

better_than_you

HSC
If you can get into UNSW or USyd B.Com, do. But if you can't, MQ is one of the better business school alternatives.

HSC
I heard reputation is a big factor in business cause the accounting/finance firms look at the top students from the top uni's, but maybe for marketing it isn't as big. Just try for UTS if you can't get to UNSW or USYD

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
I heard reputation is a big factor in business cause the accounting/finance firms look at the top students from the top uni's, but maybe for marketing it isn't as big. Just try for UTS if you can't get to UNSW or USYD
Would you say that UTS is a better alternative to UNSW/USYD than Macquarie?

Frostbitten

HSC
Would you say that UTS is a better alternative to UNSW/USYD than Macquarie?
This guy is in year 12, same as you and me. I'd probably wait for uni student replies which I'd imagine will have a better idea.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm a B Engineering/B Business student at UTS. As far as Commerce/Business go, most people will say Macquarie is a little better than UTS because of "reputation" (which tbh, the average student or recent graduate won't have much clue about) or rankings. Regardless of that a lot of people choose UTS over Macq because of the location and the fact that some people associate higher cut offs with better courses/unis. Tbh, if it's between Macq B Commerce and UTS B Business I think the deciding factor should be the uni you would rather go to more than anything else.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
This guy is in year 12, same as you and me. I'd probably wait for uni student replies which I'd imagine will have a better idea.
People have asked this question many times over in the past,the year 12 student could be literating past knowledge that has simply been said many times by more then "reputable" BOS members.

Some uni students have no clue about their universties respective "reputation" or "prestige",so it doesn't necessarily make them any better in this view.

I answer these questions myself sometimes,a little reading and you'll be surprised how much you can learn about a university without having to attend it.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
People have asked this question many times over in the past,the year 12 student could be literating past knowledge that has simply been said many times by more then "reputable" BOS members.

Some uni students have no clue about their universties respective "reputation" or "prestige",so it doesn't necessarily make them any better in this view.

I answer these questions myself sometimes,a little reading and you'll be surprised how much you can learn about a university without having to attend it.
Chronost! XD

Personally, in my research I have found people saying UTS is more reputable than MQ and visa versa. It doesn't seem to be a well defined answer at all, that's why I don't trust people of our age because of our sole reliance on forums and lack of real life experience, thus I would wait for someone in the field.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Chronost! XD

Personally, in my research I have found people saying UTS is more reputable than MQ and visa versa. It doesn't seem to be a well defined answer at all, that's why I don't trust people of our age because of our sole reliance on forums and lack of real life experience, thus I would wait for someone in the field.
Frostbitten!!!

Aye that's fair enough then, but I've been seeing these threads for a while now, no one can really give a definite answer,and we've yet to see someone who's gone to both universities.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
and we've yet to see someone who's gone to both universities.
I have met a girl who transferred from Macq Commerce to UTS Business but I think it'd be rare that people would bother doing that.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
don't do bcomm at macq.

only fobs do it

(source: me. i do bcomm at macq.)

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
I'm a B Engineering/B Business student at UTS. As far as Commerce/Business go, most people will say Macquarie is a little better than UTS because of "reputation" (which tbh, the average student or recent graduate won't have much clue about) or rankings. Regardless of that a lot of people choose UTS over Macq because of the location and the fact that some people associate higher cut offs with better courses/unis. Tbh, if it's between Macq B Commerce and UTS B Business I think the deciding factor should be the uni you would rather go to more than anything else.
This basically, whatever is closest to you.
Both courses are similar if not the same.
(Source me, been to both)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
macquarie park is pretty tops

the shopping centre there is decent and rent isn't too bad. on a main train line as well.

you're obviously doing finance/eco/accounting. You should've known better.
lol alright whatever you say

(i'm a marketing major idiot)

_pikachu

HSC
From what i've heard,
UTS and Macq is about the same, doesnt really matter which you go to
as better_than_you said, if you go to usyd or unsw, go to one of those
if your atar can get you b.comm at macq and uts, i believe you should go to the uni that you like the most and thats most convenient to you
At open days, instead on focusing on rep and prestige, try and find out which uni suits you the most

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
i swear these threads are a daily occurence...someone make a sticky pls
you realise you can get bonus at UNSW for commerce? check that out
id try usyd or unsw, then macq or uts depending on your location.
However, instead of worrying about things which dont matter at all (like what uni, when you dont even have youre atar yet), why dont you use that time to study? then youll have a chance at getting into usyd or unsw. youll have plenty of time to worry about what course to do when you get your results. youre degree is what you make of it, your wam is much more important than whether you went to uts or macq. also the unis vary in ranks depending on the major you choose too

HSC
N/A
if it were between uts and macq, maybe go to the one that's more convenient? I actually hear that macq business is better than UTS business.

Then again, a lot of my friends give UTS shit, so I may just be biased because that's what I hear most of the time.

RishBonjour

HSC
if it were between uts and macq, maybe go to the one that's more convenient? I actually hear that macq business is better than UTS business.

Then again, a lot of my friends give UTS shit, so I may just be biased because that's what I hear most of the time.
My accounting lecturer gives UTS shit. seems to be the norm.

And, you can always transfer from Mq to USYD/UNSW.

HSC
N/A
My accounting lecturer gives UTS shit. seems to be the norm.

And, you can always transfer from Mq to USYD/UNSW.
My friends have dubbed it the "New UWS" because of how easy it is to get in. +10 if you came from a bad school (which you dont even have to apply for, it's automatic) as well as +5 for subject bonus points.

from my experience, my commerce lecturers at UNSW arent that great tbh. I dont know how it is at USYD though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)