Thoughts: CSSA English Paper 1 (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your exam thoughts here!

hyphea

HSC
Eugheugheugh

finished my essay, 2 page creative piece <- which was wasn't creative

didn't do part e of section 1 spewin :(

BRegs

HSC
I went horribly. Don't know what it was. Just wasn't a good exam for me. Oh well, at least I can focus and try and make up for it in Paper 2 tomorrow.

acallus

HSC
Man, section 1 screwed me over.... Only got a, b and d fully done.

Section two I just added to and manipulated a bit of my story here and there (did the map one) and section three was alright except for them specifying just one ORT. If they hadn't, I could have just copied my half yearly essay cause the question was pretty much the same.

Okashi

HSC
I think Reading screwed me over real bad. Didn't get any of the texts besides from the visual one obviously. Rest of exam was okay.

coyney

HSC
The last two texts in section one were horrible, the rest was okay,

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Man, section 1 screwed me over.... Only got a, b and d fully done.

Section two I just added to and manipulated a bit of my story here and there (did the map one) and section three was alright except for them specifying just one ORT. If they hadn't, I could have just copied my half yearly essay cause the question was pretty much the same.
I split my time equally for each section (40 40 40), but I found that section one needed a bit more time if I wanted to correctly get q5 right. I did a mini-essay but my conclusion was honestly two- three lines of pretty messy writing (I wrote it in like 30 seconds) so I think q5 will be my downfall because of that conclusion.

I took too much time deriving the techniques and to perfect q 1 - 4, which left me like 8 minutes for question five.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
great exam

in chronological order

section three I did post card, feliks and freedom writers (ort) - question suited everything perfectly, and I brought in notions such as identity into it as well

- wrote 6 pages with VERY small writing so I don't get slammed for long paragraphs which naturally occurs when I write big

Creative - used the fish in the bowl - my creative story is about a guy that connects with nature, and I played on the stimulus greatly e.g. when he approaches water, seeing all the fish, escaping from entrapment etc etc

- wrote 6 pages

section 1 - everything up until q5 was full marks imo, all used techniques etc, but q5 I probably lost 1-2 marks - wrote 5 pages here

great exam overall, glad my memorized stuff fit it

now to work on the modules, which believe me, I'm unprepared for, as of yet :(
Sounds interesting. Do you remember the question by any chance?

Also sounds like ez 100+/105 :haha: Big expectations.

Okashi

HSC
Wrote 3 and a half pages for creative and same for belonging. Reading was awful wrote a whole lot of stuff that didn't address the question.

HSC
I actually enjoyed it i started with the creative and used the picture of the shoes on the map but I only talked about it once then I went on to the essay which I enjoyed question was flexible and easy to work with the I did the unseen texts and didn't get to finish part e but they say it's hard to get full marks in that section anyway ahaha

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds interesting. Do you remember the question by any chance?

Also sounds like ez 100+/105 :haha: Big expectations.
hahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

if only man

It was something to the effect of "belonging is a choice, but circumstances out of individual control could be present" (seriously can't remember it, it was something to the effect of that)

so the question was pretty thesis/anti-thesis kinda thing

so post card explored the guys restricted choice to belong (whats my choice to be? rhetorical question), (I repeat, I never knew you - repetition to highlight his preexisting disassociation) uhh used a few more and personified lone tree - we will meet/ before you die which highlights belonging to be eventual, and that the persona cannot ignore a cultural element in the city etc...

did the same thing for feliks, except said that although he wishes to belong and is envious of his father who has culturally affiliated, the cultural and geographical barrier inhibits this etc... so the choice doesn't override the barrier - I also included the dichotomy that's present in feliks, that of interconnection of the father and disconnection of the son > father chooses to reject societal constructs and influences and foster cultural affiliation > son is envious and desires to, but is inhibited etc...

yet I reconciled this notion through my ORT (freedom writers - the movie) and said that choice can override barriers, i.e. the racial divide that was present in the classroom was futile, and that the children choosing to connect to each other (through help of mrs gruwell) fosters a continued sense of belonging etc

I'm a bit screwed for modules so have to study it now

Last edited:

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
The creative stimulus for creative writing threw me off ffs wasted about 10 mins thinking on it wrote 3 booklets worth medium writing
ended up using the family by the fence at the beach... and bsed my way through it lol... "The waves crashed carelessly against the rocks..." ..."The waves continued to crash against the rocks, carelessly. Unbound." and "The waves ceased."

The unseen texts were okay, I hated the memoir but I did okay... I believe

Almost ran out of time for the essay because of the time wasted on the creative section... I highly hope the marker can read my last 2 paragraphs :(

Last edited:

Marc26

HSC
Did the exam in normal order.

Section 1 - Wrote 3 pages. Not sure if your school gave you booklets or just lined paper. We got lined paper. I think I went fairly decent.
Section 2 - Wrote 4 pages. Again lined paper. I used the shoes + map stimulus. Not so sure on my use of it though :/
Section 3 - 5 pages. Question fit what I prepared.

All in all, it was a good paper. Hopefully I went well.

BRegs

HSC
I can see how the question was easily adaptable. Just not for me. I need to do a lot of Belonging work for HSC.

albm95

HSC
Absolutely horrible - on my part though. I literally only studied the past two days so i'm not going to complain about anything. Creative writing was by far my most rushed essay of all time only managed 2 pages - used the maps of Sydney/Onisuka Tiger advertisement and wrote about an urban exploration group, didn't have a watch and I didn't have my glasses on so i could only judge the time i had left without pestering the teachers. Spent way too much time on the 5 mark short answer question...

Siddy123

HSC
short answers anally raped me
wtf were text 2 & 3?
ended up spending too much time on short answers which left me with 18 mins for creative( wrote 2 and a bit pages of a piece of shit creative)
got farken fed.

kewon

HSC
great exam

in chronological order

section three I did post card, feliks and freedom writers (ort) - question suited everything perfectly, and I brought in notions such as identity into it as well

- wrote 6 pages with VERY small writing so I don't get slammed for long paragraphs which naturally occurs when I write big

Creative - used the fish in the bowl - my creative story is about a guy that connects with nature, and I played on the stimulus greatly e.g. when he approaches water, seeing all the fish, escaping from entrapment etc etc

- wrote 6 pages

section 1 - everything up until q5 was full marks imo, all used techniques etc, but q5 I probably lost 1-2 marks - wrote 5 pages here

great exam overall, glad my memorized stuff fit it

now to work on the modules, which believe me, I'm unprepared for, as of yet :(
haha i did like the same as you for everything except the order
i did reading task first took me 45 mins dammit
then i did section 3 feliks, postcard as well talked about identity societal influence etc. 45 mins

then i had to rush my creative a bit in 30 mins and did the fish tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)