• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

thoughts after open days at usyd/uts (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Wish I could have gone.... reading this thread hasn't made my decision about which course I want as number one on my preference list any easier....

Is it BA Media and Comm and USyd, or BA Comm (Journalism)/Int Std at UTS...... AHHHHH I can't decide!!!! And being stuck here in the country doesn't make my decision any easier!!!
the usyd communications course is much broader, whereas the uts communications courses are very specific, and graduates have a high level of employment rate.

if you're not really sure which area of media u wanna do it's probably best to go to usyd or macq comm.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hey if i just end up doing a normal boring Barts does it matter where i do it... because surprisingly last year the uai cut off for syd and nsw was 77.5? and macq was 84.5 i think.... i just thought that was strange.....

do people see Arts students as the 'rejects' or some shit that couldnt get into anything else? sorry i just heard that from someone... ohh but the thing is that a few science and some other courses have a lower uai at macq than just a normal BA

staree

HSC
N/A
I started B. Arts at UNSW last year and was really shocked as well to see the UAI jump from 70 to 77..... it is very crazy indeed.....

I transferred into B.Arts/Education this year, and its' not that much different from BA.... not until later on when you do the prac teaching anyways....

depending on what subjects you choose to do, Arts can be bludgey..... but since im majoring in Psychology, it kinda isn't like that for me.

Arts get a bad rep from people, but i think it's a great course because it lets you test out lots of different areas if you aren't sure what you want to do yet. I know people who got UAI of 90+ and chose to do Arts. It's not a subject for dumbarses and it pees me off when i do hear people knocking it....... same as TAFE, i don't think people who do TAFE are dumbarses, if anything, sometimes i think it can be better because it's a lot more vocational work and prac than Uni (depending on what you do).

The only downside to Arts, is that since you choose the subjects, chances are you won't be with the same bunch of people in every class because everybody does different courses....... however, you can think of it this way: you get to meet a lot more different people!

The reason for the high cut off was because the Unis in sydney are now trying to cut down numbers and to get only the most 'elite'....... it is a shame pople a lot of people who are qualified and capable would miss out.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
thanks for that link asqy..... hmm yeah i think i will put down mac as my top preference (if i dont find a more specific course i want to do) and then put down unsw and usyd as 2nd and third in case i dont get the uai i need because i figure the uai's are going to go up even more...
god dam it! i want a course that will have the same people!!! :D i want to do the same subjects as everyone so that i can actually MEET people and make friends.... im not very good in social situations i kind of need it to be an ongoing thing rather than see them in a lecture a couple of times a week and be able to get really close.....
what subjects are you doing staree?
what do you want to teach?

does anyone know what cultural studies is? because BA media and cultural seems somewhat interesting but i heard cultural studies is a really bullshit subject.... hmm man im screwed... im just not cut out for uni... ahh well shit happens

Huy

HSC
N/A
I missed out on the UTS/Usyd open day, but I'm going to UNSW's next weekend.

I seemed to have missed out on a LOT yesterday.
It sucks to be me.

Next week: UNSW
See you BOSers there! :)

pinkmilk

Usyd is sOo big... mah legs hurt walking arOund... oPen day was gOod... gOt heaps of infO... UTS ---> free fairy flOss....

yeah me going to UNSW nxt week as well... i wanna do medicine.^^V

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i went to the law talk last year and it was pretty crap

also, i found that the lectures yesterday weren't really helpful at all - i didn't learn anything i didn't already know, plus i was really tired (my trials finished on fri), so i ended up sleeping through most of the lectures. and i jigged the law thing (i was at the TSP thing in the morning, yummmm free lunch, and then went LANing with frigid...lol).

and yeah, sydney is best, and wots wrong with the grounds, they're nice and the architecture is so romantic, (lying in the main quad was sooo nice) not like unsw (goddamn its cold there, even on a sunny day like yesterday).

the marquee was pretty bad though -cramped and hot (but asq, don't say roundhouse is any better, because it was just as bad last year in there)

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
is it worth going to an open day when you dont know what you want to do... and wont attend any lectures because you dont know what to sit in on.... i missed out on going to usyd and uts but i dont know whether i should go to unsw and macq

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
if you went to the careers day expo then i doubt you would really need to go unless you want to talk to teachers.

because most of the stuff they give out will be similar to what you have

frenchy

Originally posted by windows xp
I didn't like the "feeling" of Sydney, I like more the one of UTS.
Same here! It actually made me feel a little uncomfortable.
I wasn't really impressed with usyd, although the main campus is really nice. I loved uts though, which made it clear im definitely putting it as my 1st pref!

staree

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*

what subjects are you doing staree?
what do you want to teach?
first year i did:
Modern Sociology: Key Ideas (sociology)
Australian Society (sociology)
Minds, Bodies and Persons (philosophy)
Ethics and Society (philosophy)
Intro to Computing (computing)
Psychology 1A
Psychology 1B
The 60s: Australia and United States (history)

second year (now) i'm doing:
Australian Sport: History and culture (history)
Australia Since World War II (history)
Modern America (history)
Research Methods 2 (psychology)
Perception and Cognition (psychology)
Learning and Physiological Psychology (psychology)
Social Foundations of Education (education)
Educational Psychology (education)

if you can't tell..... i'm majoring in Psychology and History, so hopefully i'll get a job as a high school history teacher or a school counsellor!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
ahhhhh so within the subjects you choose (as in you chose sociology, psycology and computing) there are subjects within that...

hmmm because when i was looking at the subjects there doesnt seem anything of much interest to me... but i guess i should check out whats actually involved

thanks

T

timbk2

we'll make a poll about whcih open day was better... after next saturday. This'll be interesting.

pinkmilk

uts open day was better^^V nicer peOple giving out the bags and mOre information...

+ fOOD!!~

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Nick
and inside that UTS tower building is pretty nice, however there was no tomato sauce left at the bbq, so that cancels out..
You scare me. 'No Tomato Sauce' nullifies 'Good Building'?

(Sauce && GoodBuilding) = (0 && 1) = 0?

Last edited:

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
UTS definitely...it seemed like to me, there it was more casual and friendly atmosphere....while Sydney wasnt as good for various reasons :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)