The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am casual yes - not paying tax currently (to my understanding that's because I've earned less then $6000).

Was it public holiday rates though last Saturday? Anyone else get payed PH rates?

What you said about 2.7*part time would have me at 108, which is close enough. Never knew that's how it worked for casuals.

How exactly would me being casual change me being payed for 5 hours to 4.8? Never heard of that before =/

Thank you for your help guys :)
I dunno, but from what I can see you've been payed correctly. Just check your payslip when you get it ;)

MMacka

HSC
N/A
Hey guys was wondering if you could help me out.

Last Saturday (and the whole week) I worked five hours at a rate of $10.7 (Im 15) so I should have been payed around the $53 mark - but today I looked into my bank account and there's a Woolworths credit of $111.67.

If it was public holiday rates, I should have been payed $133 - but I don't think it was. So what gives? Human error? Should I report it? I obviously don't want to - but will I get in trouble if they find out (cash office or something) that I didn't report it. Or is it their sole responsibility to give me the correct amount?

When I'm in this Saturday I'll look at what my payslip says =/

I'm confused :( Help/advice appreciated.
If you ever get overpaid in the future don't bother saying anything. Unless its for a stupid amount of money which they will find out about.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hey guys was wondering if you could help me out.

Last Saturday (and the whole week) I worked five hours at a rate of $10.7 (Im 15) so I should have been payed around the $53 mark - but today I looked into my bank account and there's a Woolworths credit of $111.67.

If it was public holiday rates, I should have been payed $133 - but I don't think it was. So what gives? Human error? Should I report it? I obviously don't want to - but will I get in trouble if they find out (cash office or something) that I didn't report it. Or is it their sole responsibility to give me the correct amount?

When I'm in this Saturday I'll look at what my payslip says =/

I'm confused :( Help/advice appreciated.
Nope, in Victoria, public holiday pay goes by 2.5x. As kakez mentioned, all penalty rates go by your part time rate (8.93 if you are off probation).

8.93 x 2.5 x 5 = $111.625 - that is correct

On your other pay slips, does it say 3A CASORD? or what is the code next to the entries? I can't remember, but on the days you work penalty rates, it probably displays your part time rate (as I said all penalty rates go by this), but should also display 3A CASORD on another entry if you work another ordinary/non-public holiday shift.

All that make sense? :p

Last edited:

jirwin

HSC
Definately wait and check your payslip.

There are so many things that could be affecting it (tax - but obviously not in this case or you may have clocked less than the exact hours you were supposed to work - im assuming you're casual?? eg rostered 5 hours, clocked in/out at 4.8 hours..)
At Woolies are you paid to the minute? We are paid in 15min blocks and we get a 7min leeway. Basically for a 10-2pm shift I can clock on at 10.06 and still get paid from 10am. I can clock off at 1.54pm and get paid until 2pm etc. There have been times when I forget about the 7min leeway and clock on early but I figured there have been even more times where I've worked for a bit without being paid.

Does anyone find it really hard to say 'no' to call in's when its a certain manager/supervisor that asks you? I was just called to work back an hour today (1.30-6.30 now instead of 5.30) which is good because it's really only an extra 45min because I get a tea break now and I need the money as well. But it got me thinking that there are certain people that I always say yes to even when I don't really want to do it.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
At Woolies are you paid to the minute? We are paid in 15min blocks and we get a 7min leeway. Basically for a 10-2pm shift I can clock on at 10.06 and still get paid from 10am. I can clock off at 1.54pm and get paid until 2pm etc. There have been times when I forget about the 7min leeway and clock on early but I figured there have been even more times where I've worked for a bit without being paid.

Does anyone find it really hard to say 'no' to call in's when its a certain manager/supervisor that asks you? I was just called to work back an hour today (1.30-6.30 now instead of 5.30) which is good because it's really only an extra 45min because I get a tea break now and I need the money as well. But it got me thinking that there are certain people that I always say yes to even when I don't really want to do it.
We get a 6 minute leeway when signing on/off, but not sure if we go by the minute or in blocks like you.
I also get the same feeling about call-ins when it's certain people.

jirwin

HSC
We get a 6 minute leeway when signing on/off, but not sure if we go by the minute or in blocks like you.
I also get the same feeling about call-ins when it's certain people.
They've got more chance of me working back if they ask me towards the end of my original shift. If they asked me at 1.30 to work back until 8.30 I'm going to say no because that's another 7hrs I have to be there. If they ask me at 5.30 to work back then I might say yes because that's only another 3hrs :p

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
We go by 15 minutes blocks too. I don't care about the leeway when signing staff off though, if they work over the time they were meant to finish that's there fault not mine, so I take them back to the time they were supposed to finish at. Same with if they start early.

Could sound harsh to some, but people seem to forget that Woolworths doesn't have an open cheque book.

jirwin

HSC
We go by 15 minutes blocks too. I don't care about the leeway when signing staff off though, if they work over the time they were meant to finish that's there fault not mine, so I take them back to the time they were supposed to finish at. Same with if they start early.

Could sound harsh to some, but people seem to forget that Woolworths doesn't have an open cheque book.
For me its a bit different on service. I can't just walk out in the middle of serving a customer. I have to wait until another employee comes to take over or if I've been told to put my sign up - I have to wait until I've finished serving all the customers.

Obviously this wouldn't be the case in produce or other departments. But I completely understand what you mean about open cheque books. I try really hard to clock on and off correctly.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
How do you do an EFT Manual?
I've always been scared that when i'm Supervising the EFT is gonna go down and i won't know what to do.
Isn't that the million dollar question. You could ask mannequin, because he (she?) had to do like a million on Easter Thursday according to her post.

But yes exactly what you mentioned happened to me that day and it was as bad as i envisaged.

The CSM just rang and i lost my Sunday shift, she has swapped it to a Saturday. Another Saturday with one operator til close and no Sunday pay! Grr.

I'm about to start writing my CV again (i lost the entire thing when i lost my USB GRRRR) because i'm going to apply for a job with Qantas cabin crew out of Heathrow. Or register my interest.

HSC
i'm pretty sure we get payed to the minute.
when i close sometimes and i get out of there after 12:15 i write on the adjustment sheet, for example. 17:15-Sign Off (Pay to Clockings) when i sign off at like 24:26.
then when i read my payslip it's says i've worked like 10.4765 hours
Nontrade is pretty big on the pay to the minute thing, especially with cash office.

For me its a bit different on service. I can't just walk out in the middle of serving a customer. I have to wait until another employee comes to take over or if I've been told to put my sign up - I have to wait until I've finished serving all the customers.

Obviously this wouldn't be the case in produce or other departments. But I completely understand what you mean about open cheque books. I try really hard to clock on and off correctly.
Exactly, on Monday I was asking any of my 2pm finishers to stay until the next lot came in. Unfortunately noone remembered and everyone closed off. :(

HSC
lol, I just got a phone call from my SSM pleading with me to get a full med clearance ASAP otherwise Kewdale are going to kick his ass. He's like "I'm expecting it on my desk by Saturday, k. You don't have to do any more than what you're doing now, I just want the paperwork that says you're good". LOL.

As much as it would be funny to ignore him just to spite him, I do feel bad. He keeps telling me that I can't work more than 16 hours a week, but every roster I've had since that order (early Feb) has been 18 hours or more.

NNS7

HSC
N/A
^ I think managers are generally alright at seeing through the sucking up.

Surely it never says 2IC on rosters for 2ICs? Doesn't it just say GROCASST or PRODASST etc? And for dpt manager it just says 'MANAGER'
mine says 2ICMANAGER

I don't see hierarchy's in the store based on position, I see a hierarchy based off the experience a person has with their job.

Thats how it worked at our store - you have the experience - you get the respect, otherwise, you do not

This 2IC sounds out of line - disrespecting staff who have had more experience in what they do.
Totally agree its based on experience and knowledge. In my store all the dept managers and 2ic's are older and are respected, I'm the youngest manager at 21 but I have worked for the company for a long time and I'm an expert in my dept and therefore respected. There is nothing worse then a young. full of themselves, 2ic telling their older staff how it is. Just because they are not managers does not mean that they don't know 10X more then you! there is always plenty to learn and its always a good idea to keep and open mind.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, Harry, check facebook, i sent you something, Ummm, i might delete those posts in case you regret it later

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
We're having group hugs right now.
Also if it was a BoSer who started this... and if you're in here... and if we EVER find out who you are... townie and myself are giving you double gold neg rep and gold neg rep respectively, until your account explodes from too many red boxes. :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)