The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

jirwin

HSC
Really? When I was working tonight we were D E A D!!. I spent like 3 hours of my shift doing random crap.
We weren't exactly dead last night but a steady stream of customers with a couple of quiet periods. There was 2-3 staff members doing other random jobs at any given time. Out of 5hrs, I spent max 1hr serving. We had so much 'catch-up' stuff to do in terms of newspapers and loose stock it was unbelievable. I'm not complaining though - public holiday rates to cut up newspapers but it's a job that needed doing. Actually had some customers wanting to buy the Sunday papers as well!. When I finished at 8pm (we were closing at 10pm) there was no extra staff members to do jobs and still a very large trolley full of loose stock so it's not like they don't have anything to do today either.

On another note, a box got caught in the cardboard crusher... quite possibly a box I threw in there when I was filling up the register bag drawers. I heard about the stuck carton like 5min after I had been out there. Whoops. It's still usable though because I crushed 3 trolleys worth of newspapers a couple of hours later.

HSC
omg we were so busy yesterday haha. I had to go in at 5 to do stocktake, then i was Supervisor till 3. I had a lady abuse me through the front doors (cause were in a centre) that we were supposed to open at 8 and it was now 830. She wouldnt let me get a word in, when i finally did i was like, its 730, you havent changed ur clock back for daylight savings.......

We had, no joke, 30 people waiting outside to get it. I didnt get to lunch until 1 (when i came back i had an hour to go.....). I have never seen it so busy in my life. Then the SM told us we werent allowed to call express alerts, accept for the SSM. He soon changed his tune when the CSM called him up to run the floor while me, the CSM and SSM all got onto large lanes, where we all stayed for 2hrs. Very shit day lol
Yeah that was us yesterday, absolute balls. I have no idea what even happened, I started at 11.30 and felt very out of the loop all day. Our 2IC fucked up rosters and cut three from the morning (so say 10-2) and gave us two extra to close (2-5.30) which we seriously didn't need. Then one no show and two people went home sick. It was SO bad. I had one main open at changeover (2pm) and three express, but noone from express could/would go on a main (one chick who reckons she's got massive issues with her back, and then our SM and STM). I went and hid in liquor, aha.

My SM and I had a very serious conversation yesterday though. Firstly our Grocery 2IC went and had a sad to our SM about me being disrespectful to him and needing to realise that I need to respect him as a manager. I could not stop myself from laughing uncontrollably. Except then I realised my SM was being deathly serious. I was so angry, but yeah I'm not going to be any nicer to him. He doesn't deserve it.

Then he (my SM, who's only been with us like a month) was trying to tell me I need to be calmer, not stress, not show my stress etc etc. I listened, nodded, said I'd try better next time etc etc, but then he ended with "yeah its pretty hard when you're first supervising, its hard finding your feet".

I couldn't bring myself to tell him I've been supervising for over 18 months.

Oh well :eek:

bdude

HSC
we had so much 'catch-up' stuff to do in terms of newspapers and loose stock it was unbelievable. .
At about 5:30pm we got dumped with a whole trolley of leftover loose stock from things that had been put in the damaged stock bin and shouldn't have been, that took me about an hour to sort out.

PyroTek

HSC
I only ever use 89 too for everything. It's too much of a hassle to switch when you are in the middle of doing your grading.

Yesterday was my first day covering as Store Room Manager. Was pretty sweet up until 8.30am, I had all the pallets nicely organized outside, rollcages were all in one area and I just started to sweep when a truck pulls up. This was strange as I wasn't expecting another truck until 9.30. I ask him what he's got for me and he tells me 7 dry. FUCK ME. We never, ever get a dry delivery on a Monday. It can't be Sunday's order as we got that order on Saturday.

I tried to find it in the system but to no avail, Grocery manager wasn't expecting it either and because of that she had no team on to work it. So we thought it must have been Tuesday's order, but he said that there is another order coming tomorrow.

So from that moment on everything went downhill. I had to quickly move the roll cages infront of the produce roller door to make room for the pallets and man. 7 pallets may not sound like a lot to you guys but when we have a tiny back yard area, then it is :p lol

At least today I'll be prepared for the rest that is coming in.
See the thing about using 89, is that they don't know the reasons why stuff is being dumped, can actually make for more dumps.
If they see lots of 52's on the reports, they can say "we need to lower the MPL etc." in order to dump less. etc.

jirwin

HSC
At about 5:30pm we got dumped with a whole trolley of leftover loose stock from things that had been put in the damaged stock bin and shouldn't have been, that took me about an hour to sort out.
The last trolley we had was brought to us by the duty manager just after 7pm - with all of the people available to do it finishing at 8pm. The trolley was so full that a dint was barely made with 2 people working on it. Not sure where it all came from though because 2 staff members had done everything that was out the back and stuff, maybe loose stock found on shelves when they started filling them.

I had to clean out the register drawers and tidy them up and fill them up with clearance bags. In 1 drawer I swear there was every catalogue we've had for the past 2 months, a children's toy and a recording book from 2006! (Back then they had to record every time something/someone set off the alarm/beepers. The most common one was 'Kmart items')

HSC
I use:
77. Theft
89. Damaged Stock
70. -ive Stock Correction
30. +ice Stock Correction
99. Insurance stock
and
52. Out of Date
last week i needed scissors and whiteout, so i checked with the DM and he said it was ok, but i needed to write it off, but i accidently used 89.
what should of i used?

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Can't help you there, all our IDT's are just written up in a book and sent to the Cash Office.

But we've been told we aren't allowed to IDT any stationary item. Apparently it works out cheaper if we order it from Office Max. But it's a pain in the ass when we have to wait 3 days when we have the same darn thing on the shelf.

We also need the express permission from the Store Manager when IDT'ing any item which isn't for the staff room i.e Milk, sugar, tea etc. However, just because he's initiated this rule doesn't mean we follow it :p

Last edited:

DM Mike

HSC
Always-safeway, technically it should have been IDT'd which you can do in the gun in 3, 1 or on the computer in Stock Managment -> Stock Adjust

The dodgy way would be to write it off to theft, theft keeps the SOH level right, looks better on reports and bosses cant ask why your writing off things you shouldnt be, though, ive never been asked to do it :rolleyes:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
You should try arguing with your Store Manager, it is actually very fun. My SM and I have massive debates about politics/current affairs. Also about work related areas.
I used to argue with our old SM... the new one is a bit introverted though, and I'm on his good side, and would LIKE to stay there (apparently with him, payback is a bitch). Plus... I have to be a responsible person from now on >_>

See the thing about using 89, is that they don't know the reasons why stuff is being dumped, can actually make for more dumps.
If they see lots of 52's on the reports, they can say "we need to lower the MPL etc." in order to dump less. etc.
If it's 89, it's damaged stock. Which is why lordtopcat would be using it for his grading, as if it's below the standard, it's considered to be damaged and they don't lose the money (whereas say with the 52, you would). That's how it works in bakery anyways :p

HSC
I used to argue with our old SM... the new one is a bit introverted though, and I'm on his good side, and would LIKE to stay there (apparently with him, payback is a bitch). Plus... I have to be a responsible person from now on >_>
lol, how's that working out? :p

I like our new SM, not many others do, but anyone who tells me not to do tickets and not to serve express is cool by me :D
He's only with us for a few more weeks though, our old one is coming back for another six months. So back to normal then.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
lol, how's that working out? :p

I like our new SM, not many others do, but anyone who tells me not to do tickets and not to serve express is cool by me :D
He's only with us for a few more weeks though, our old one is coming back for another six months. So back to normal then.
It's actually working out fiiiiine :p
I just have to tone down the smartass a bit, in front of the SM anyway :eek:

(see your PMs, bk lol)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
My SM and I had a very serious conversation yesterday though. Firstly our Grocery 2IC went and had a sad to our SM about me being disrespectful to him and needing to realise that I need to respect him as a manager. I could not stop myself from laughing uncontrollably. Except then I realised my SM was being deathly serious. I was so angry, but yeah I'm not going to be any nicer to him. He doesn't deserve it.

Then he (my SM, who's only been with us like a month) was trying to tell me I need to be calmer, not stress, not show my stress etc etc. I listened, nodded, said I'd try better next time etc etc, but then he ended with "yeah its pretty hard when you're first supervising, its hard finding your feet".

I couldn't bring myself to tell him I've been supervising for over 18 months.

Oh well :eek:
What kind of nasty things do you say to him? Do you throw him into the canned soup and spit on him and stuff?

I know it's so awkward when people are like "oh is this your first day?":mad1:

Except on Saturday this customer was like "You're waaaay too friendly. You obviously haven't been working here long. Either that or you're completely nuts."

Today was great, as soon as i got to work the CSM went home with a headache (actually she went to lunch, five minutes later i get a call from her boyfriend saying she's not coming back, v werid, and really awkward when i accidentally rang her while trying to replace her, she was just like "wtf!"), so I was CSM all day. I love being in control, can i just say. I went through our lost property and rang up banks in relation to left behind credit cards and even got to chop a couple up! Mega-exciting.

But then i got home and Malcolm Turnbull had resigned. Traumatised.

Can't help you there, all our IDT's are just written up in a book and sent to the Cash Office.

But we've been told we aren't allowed to IDT any stationary item. Apparently it works out cheaper if we order it from Office Max. But it's a pain in the ass when we have to wait 3 days when we have the same darn thing on the shelf.

We also need the express permission from the Store Manager when IDT'ing any item which isn't for the staff room i.e Milk, sugar, tea etc. However, just because he's initiated this rule doesn't mean we follow it :p

HSC
What kind of nasty things do you say to him? Do you throw him into the canned soup and spit on him and stuff?

I know it's so awkward when people are like "oh is this your first day?":mad1:

Except on Saturday this customer was like "You're waaaay too friendly. You obviously haven't been working here long. Either that or you're completely nuts."

Today was great, as soon as i got to work the CSM went home with a headache (actually she went to lunch, five minutes later i get a call from her boyfriend saying she's not coming back, v werid, and really awkward when i accidentally rang her while trying to replace her, she was just like "wtf!"), so I was CSM all day. I love being in control, can i just say. I went through our lost property and rang up banks in relation to left behind credit cards and even got to chop a couple up! Mega-exciting.

But then i got home and Malcolm Turnbull had resigned. Traumatised.
Every single person in my store seems to have an issue with him, its not just me. His attitude is absolutely disgusting. He's only been grocery 2IC for say six months, but his ego is the size of Greg and Marty's combined. So lets just say I'm not at all nice to him.

So its a long running story, but my part in it yesterday was that there was a massive ad in yesterdays paper saying 50% off easter eggs. But of course, we'd already updated our tickets with the 50% (so they were now clearance tickets). So he's over at the display, and he's telling customers that its 50% off, they're then coming through the checkout complaining about the prices. When we explained that its already reflected in the tickets most people were okay, but this one woman was not. Anyway, in this time, our groc 2IC was hovering and doing shit all around the service desk, and this woman protested that "that guy" told her 50%. He then says to me, oh yeah if it hasn't scanned at 50% then its scanning policy, takes the receipt and product, and starts to process it. But of course, it comes up with a supervisor box, at which point I rip them back out of his hand and start explaining it AGAIN to the lady. But, seeing as she's heard the magic words "scanning policy", she starts again (thank you ACA for educating the average bogan, you've made my job 10x easier).

I then went around the corner and got our SM, and not so politely asked him to come and help me. When my SM starts telling me that if the groc 2IC is saying scanning policy, its scanning policy, I was really not very nice about it. I don't even know what I said, but pretty much something along the lines that he doesn't even know what he's talking about, and he never ever does so why do we have to listen to him.
Unfortunately, that was a bit too loud, lol.

I then had to give the lady her stupid scanning policy, and she was so unbelievably nice to the SM and groc 2IC, and a whiney little bitch to me. I wrote on the slip "THIS IS NOT A SCANNING POLICY, SEE (SM'S NAME)" and put it in the SP sheet.

Later on in the day I called our groc 2ic a zillion times for an express alert, eventually I got hold of him by phone and was like "dude, every other manager is on, every other checkout trained floor staff is on, why the hell do you think noone takes you seriously?"

He never came. But after that he went and dobbed like a whiney 2 year old. He pretty much told the SM that I'm not mature enough to do my job and I need to pull my head in and give managers the respect they deserve. We are the same age, FFS, and I will not treat him like a manager if he isn't going to act like one.

Besides, Service Supervisor beats non salaried dept 2IC in the hierarchy anyway. I should tell him that next time I get a chance.

RANT OVER. I'm just glad that he didn't get duty for the next two weeks (as he wanted, I might not like our NF captain but she will at least leave us alone) while we do extended holiday trade. I would have refused to work, period.

EDIT: I am also devastated about Malcolm Turnbull. Well maybe not devastated, but I'm not even a Liberal supporter, and I quite like him.
EDIT x 2: I manage to bullshit every new manager into thinking I'm this inexperienced, noob supervisor. Thats going to backfire one day.

Last edited:

NC8000

HSC
N/A
Hi PyroTek, Stock adjustments in no way effect store MPL's. The merch Analysts who build the POG's don't see any stock adjustment history at all.

Always-safeway, technically it should have been IDT'd which you can do in the gun in 3, 1 or on the computer in Stock Managment -> Stock Adjust

The dodgy way would be to write it off to theft, theft keeps the SOH level right, looks better on reports and bosses cant ask why your writing off things you shouldnt be, though, ive never been asked to do it :rolleyes:
Thefts are actually worse for your store, it brings attention to your store on several levels. both regional and national.

Thefts(known stolen) gets run for each department weekly, this total comes directly off the profit from sales.

I.e. it can blow out % in the drop of a hat. If you saw what our thefts are you would be stunned!. its a MASSIVE amount of money.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha, theft write off, that reminds me, our liquor manager used to HATE writing stuff off, espescially to theft, so he never did unless he was absolutely 100% certain it was stolen. And what happens, every week we'd get a fax from Regional Office

"You haven't recorded any known stolen for liquor last week, please make sure you record some this week" we got in trouble for having no theft dumps, like wtf.

And NC8000 i think Pyro's point was that instore they could make that deciscion about MPL's

Harry778

HSC
Hey, whoever posted stuff to me on formspring can you please PM me, you will know who you are and what I'm talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)