The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

HSC
I can definitely see what copeys and ytrbut are saying. For me, I don't cope well spending four hours straight on checkouts. Luckily its not something that I do very often now, but its definitely draining not being able to move.

BUT, as ytrbut said, its just going to mean rosters will be altered. Currently on sundays pretty much all our operators get 4 hour shifts, either 10-2, 10.30-2.30, 1-5 or 1.30-5.30. My CSM has flat out said that all of these shifts will become 3.75 hour shifts to avoid a zillion tea breaks. Same with thursday nights, and she plans on altering the rosters of PPT staff to get rid of four hour shifts (though I don't know if she's going to change those shifts upwards or downwards).

It will be interesting to see how many 4 hour shifts actually get rostered once its implemented.

HSC
I think its a good idea for a 10 minute break on a 4 hour shift, standing behind the register....kills your back if your standing there for too long, longest you will move is to the place where you put the bags down.

Otacon2009

HSC
I can't believe this. I tried contacting the Area Office today and it rang out. Normally it's picked up on the third ring the latest.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Whaaat? I didn't realise other states don't have breaks for four hour shifts? That's unimaginable. Yuk. Trust me, you'll get used to it straight away. The busy stores give out five hour and three hour shifts instead of your four, so it works out just the same really. Rostering will adapt and everyone will be happier!

Yeah, I hear that!! There are days we don't have enough checkout staff. But what erks me more is sometimes we have heaps of floor staff who are not checkout trained. Personally, I think it's the managers fault half the time too because when he asks certain individuals if they would like to be checkout trained, they say no and come up with some type of pathetic excuse, and he says, "Oh, OK!" Sheesh!! Morale has gone down so low because both our SM and STM have no balls!!

The other day I was relieving the CSM and I was on the computer finishing up some ticket ordering. I looked up to see 3 people with small loads in line at another checkout. I quickly shut the program down and I was just about to get on checkout when this customer said, "So are you going to open another checkout or what!!" God, I felt like saying to him, "Would you like me to come to your job site and tell you what to do?!" I politely, but firmly (with gritted teeth), said, "Yes, I'm doing it NOW!" :hammer:
I think it's a fact that people who regularly shop in smaller stores are more impatient. I guess it's because they're used to shopping in small local stores where you don't queue? But half my town consider having to wait behind one trolley highly offensive.

smaller stores aren't that much better.
i used to work in one in one and ocassionly get called to work random shifts.
the bad thing about them is that they're often underprepared for random 'rushes', i.e barely or just having enough staff on due to low sales, therefore creating more stress.

at my big store now it's better cause we can afford to have extra staff on and almost everyone on the floor is register trained.
It's true that it's more stressful at smaller stores because a couple of extra trolleys can cause mayhem on a Sunday, where there's only one person in Grocery, and the customers are close, so they just hover about giving you evils and being old and sour. BUT having said that busy stores are WAY more stressful because of all the staff, bells, misc tenders, customers, etc.

Also, at my new store, there was a clear scanning policy (the ticket showed a lower price then what it scanned for) so I said to the supervisor.. "dang, a scanning policy" as I hit sup menu for her to punch in her numbers, but she only put it through as a RTC... I was like "WTF?"
Supervisor training at Woolworths is so hit and miss, but most of all in regard to our refunds policy. I printed it out today and pretty much the only circumstances that we can't refund something is if it's over $15 AND they can't present a receipt AND they refuse to show ID. My CSM doesn't even know the correct policy, let alone anyone else.

Hmmm so the fomer CSM, who trained me as a supervisor in 2008, is back, but just as an operator. She's really cool and we get on so well, but she's so like "omg why are you doing that?/shouldn't you be doing this?/ have you claimed a credit on this?/why does (insert current CSM) do that?" MEH. And just before she was like "can you please go and get PJ Fine" and i was like "OK", but then i was like "oh, wait, why are you giving me orders!?" and she was like "oh, haha sorry, habit!". lol.

So i made her go get them.

danberg

HSC
Supervisor training at Woolworths is so hit and miss, but most of all in regard to our refunds policy. I printed it out today and pretty much the only circumstances that we can't refund something is if it's over $15 AND they can't present a receipt AND they refuse to show ID. My CSM doesn't even know the correct policy, let alone anyone else.
I know, If I was running things I'd say receipt= refund, no receipt= exchange only (and ID may be required)
*there is another circumstance that we can't refund something, when they're trying to refund something we don;t sell! the other day this idiot woman comes in with this butter with the useby in January demanding a refund, says she JUST bought it, but put the receipt in the bin and shes not fishing it out.

so we have a look on the shelf, we dont sell it, and it doesnt scan. so finally when we get the manager, shes like 'hmmm thats strange, i definately just bought it'....
DODGY as, how stupid do people thing we are???

and dont get me started on the scrunched up receipts that are clearly from the bin!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
On the topic of EBA's, I was absolutely fucking pissed that a meeting was held in our store at night when I was working (it was not busy, probably had 10 customers in the store total), I was told to go back to work.
I wasn't allowed to fucking go to the meeting, what the fuck is that bullshit?

Isn't EVERYBODY entitled to the union agreement? Also, others from frontend/deli went but I was told to go back to self serve.

PyroTek

HSC
I was under the impression that it was a requirement for every department to release their staff members for an hour for the talk.. (within reason?)
That's what happened in my store, however, the talks did not coincide with me working AT ALL.

Call the union and ask! (So long as you ARE a member)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
So.... I had a bunch of stuff quoted but my net borked and I cbf going through again.

RE: Townie bringing up the new EBA again as he always seems to do! (Love you townie :lol:)
Apparently there is a clause in it which specifically states that a person employed under the EBA may not be in a relationship with another Woolworths employee.
Very interesting.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Erm, I guess so! :p
That would, uh, be classed as a physical relationship no?

(In which case, if it were to be policed, a number of employees from your store would be screwed, so to speak).

HSC
Yes, isn't there something about 2 hour shifts? I can see a lot more of them replacing the 4 hours shifts, means you will have more staff turnover though.

But I, personally, would think that it would be WAY to difficult to manager 3.75hr shifts, it would become cumbersome and difficult to watch/manage - much easier just to have people finishing on the hour/half hour lol.
The 2 hour shift clause is I think limited to students (both tertiary and secondary) in WA. But most managers are decent with that at the moment, so I don't think it will become a big deal.
Unless someone else has read otherwise?

And yes, the 3.75 hour shift is going to be awful, there's going to be so much changeover at terrible times. We already do it a bit though (ie I'm supposed to be doing 8.15-12 this Friday), so we ARE used to it. Just Sundays will be a bit more difficult.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
So.... I had a bunch of stuff quoted but my net borked and I cbf going through again.

RE: Townie bringing up the new EBA again as he always seems to do! (Love you townie :lol:)
Apparently there is a clause in it which specifically states that a person employed under the EBA may not be in a relationship with another Woolworths employee.
Very interesting.
I don't think this has a basis in the truth, as i was reading another clause today about how if two parents working for woolworths pop out a babe, they're both entitled to certain leave and blah blah.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I don't think this has a basis in the truth, as i was reading another clause today about how if two parents working for woolworths pop out a babe, they're both entitled to certain leave and blah blah.
Well that's what I thought I'd read too.... but. like. I was told by my manager's boyfriend that it is 100% in there and that he asked about it at the meeting he went to. :/ (and that it's just considered an extension of conflict of interest shit)

aussie92

HSC
Im voting no , it would get crazy during the day they will give out these ridiculously short shifts and logistically it would become a nightmare , they would also push us to work even harder to make up for the money there loosing. I work gm nightfill and non trade best 2 departments ever !!!! so it dosent effect me at all as im barely in there when the store is trading anyway. Also if people on here begin to start getting 3.75 hr shifts when they used to always get 4 they should go to the SDA immediately. :hammer:

bdude

HSC
Surely, they couldn't have a clause prohibiting workplace relatonships? What would happen to people already in one? Would one person have to move stores or be made redundant?

BSammy

HSC
I'd say thats why we're (and by we I mean my department) are getting 3.75 hour shifts now - so it doesn't look nearly as dodgy.
You actually are? that is complete bullshit.

The biggest thing for us is having a lunch during a 6 hour shift. (well, any shift with more than 5 hours of work(not counting the break i guess))
and in the info session it said such lunches and breaks are compulsary to take, so there are going to be a lot of permanent contracts with 6 hour shifts in them going to need to be re done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)